Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SMALL COIL FOR F75

joe dirt_1

I'm interested in a small coil for my F75. Would you recommend staying with Fisher brand coils or maybe the NEL or CORS coils? I prefer a 5'' round coil, but am open to suggestions. Thanks,

Roger

I would go with the Nel coils. They are cheaper and way quieter than stock fishers. I have the snake on my F44 and sharpshooter on my F70, love em both. HH Jeff

Hello jd,

Personally, I have a the 6.5x3.5" NEL Snake coil. Very happy with it's performance and build quality. I liked the size/shape, as it has a bit more coverage heel to toe, with a bit less width side to side for sneaking in narrower places.

That being said, the 5" round has an excellent performance reputation also. In truth, I don't think there is a great deal of difference in performance between the two, just a matter of preference as to shape.

The 9.5x5.5" NEL Sharpshooter also has a good reputation in performance in a slightly larger coil.

I have a 5" DD round coil, used it for hundreds of hours, found a ton in some of the most trash infest and iron infested sites you can imagine plus in the mineralized iron infested dirt I hunt in now it goes as deep as my 11" DD so there is no bigger fan of this little thing than me.
Then I got a Nel Sharpshooter and I don't think I will be mounting that 5" round one again.
It is slightly bigger, weighs nothing, has all the abilities of the smaller coil and gets surprisingly deep but that is not the big deal about this brand...it seems to be shielded better so it is quieter.
This is a big deal for me because I sometimes use pretty high settings and don't have DST.

I was aiming for the smaller Nel but my dealer didn't have it in stock so I went for the slightly bigger one and now I am thrilled I did.

My initial review....things got even better from here...
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2364649

For me I like the 2 Fisher coils the 5" DD and the 6.5" elliptical concentric. I had the NEL Snake and it was a good coil and I liked the shape and size but the depth was just a little less than the 5".

Now my all time favorite is the little Fisher 6.5" elliptical concentric (little football coil) but the 5"DD has a little better separation.

Now if you step up to mid size the NEL sharpshooter is good option.

Ron in WV

If you hunt trashy spots, and I assume you do, the Fisher 5" is a killer. I've tried the Sharpshooter and my 5" is a laser for target separation in comparison. Plus, it is deep and I can crank the sen. up to max if need be. Fishers DD coils are really great coils. HH jim tn

The 5" DD coil is a must for the heavy trash, but in Virginia's red clay dirt it is not as deep as the stock 11" DD Coil. But I can say I've found a lot of nice finds using the 5" coil. It is a perfect match for the F75.

Thanks for the replies....seems to be no clear cut winner. It comes down to personal choice I guess.
I have a Sharpshooter coil for my T2 and it seems to perform well in the farm fields I like to hunt in.
Also have the NEL Snake coil for the T2, but haven't got to use it yet.

I'm with Revier on the NEL Sharpshooter. Awesome coil, and it keeps these machines a little quieter which is great.

I can't talk for other aftermarket coils of comparable size, because I have never tried any.

I have a friend who has an F75, and for relic hunting, he uses the 5" coil almost exclusively--never uses the stock coil for added depth.

Using the 5" about a year ago, on a relic hunt, I got a signal with numbers bouncing between 35-60, and a one-way good tone, and iron grunt in the other. I was using 2F tones, and had my sensitivity set about 85-90. I kicked about two inches of leaves away to expose bare ground, got the coil closer, and the signal improved, so I dug it.

It turned out to be a small Williams cleaner bullet without the zinc plug. It was at least 8" down, not counting the distance the coil first heard the bullet. I would say the bullet was probably 12" away from the coil when it first detected it.

Coils sure have come a long way.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Fisher 5" DD. Deep, and has good target separation.

Greg (E.Tn) said:
I can't talk for other aftermarket coils of comparable size, because I have never tried any.

I have a friend who has an F75, and for relic hunting, he uses the 5" coil almost exclusively--never uses the stock coil for added depth.

Using the 5" about a year ago, on a relic hunt, I got a signal with numbers bouncing between 35-60, and a one-way good tone, and iron grunt in the other. I was using 2F tones, and had my sensitivity set about 85-90. I kicked about two inches of leaves away to expose bare ground, got the coil closer, and the signal improved, so I dug it.

It turned out to be a small Williams cleaner bullet without the zinc plug. It was at least 8" down, not counting the distance the coil first heard the bullet. I would say the bullet was probably 12" away from the coil when it first detected it.

Coils sure have come a long way.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Fisher 5" DD. Deep, and has good target separation.

100% Agree..........

Heck ya man go with the Nel snake of the nel 5" Sharpe. Ive had both and both are better than the stock coils and run way smoother. Like running a completely different machine on my T2. Oh and in heavy iron the nel coils lock on the good targets, where the stock one is real jumpy. been using them for yrs great coils. If u order one the Cors or Nel make sure u buy from the USA dealer. If u buy the ones from out of USA they won't honor the warranty here in USA. Don't ask my why cause idk. just way they are

The 5"DD round coil is a killer right next to metal posts or along side concrete sidewalks. It is small, so it takes a lot of overlapping swings to cover very much ground and is time consuming but separation is really good. The 6.5" elliptical concentric (little football coil) is also good at closeup work in the tot lots or along the sidewalk and coverage is a bit better than the 5" but the separation is not as good as the 5". It also, is small and coverage is not great. The NEL Sharpshooter is an awesome coil! I have it on my F19 and my F75. It covers good coverage and it is a bit quieter than the stock 11" coil. I only use the smaller coil if I am searching a small area that is really trashy. Otherwise, my all around coil of choice is the NEL Sharpshooter. And yes, with your question, you are going to get a good many differing replies. I have seen this discussed many times and always the same outcome. If you can borrow a couple of coils to try it would help you to make up your mind as what you want or need. Good luck!

I am having good luck with the Nels Snake on my Patriot. I have used small coils on 6 different detectors and have found the snake is in the top 3 maybe top 2. I confess I hunt a lot around structures in urban settings and the dirt is not that hot.. I can run the snake hotter than the bigger coils and it is amazingly deep for a little coil in my dirt. Anyway good luck with whatever you use. HH