Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small Gold Chain

ken ward

I went out this morning with the compadre. A nice cool morning to just get out a while. So, I went to one of our soccer fields to hunt the side lines. I do not hunt the field during season. Don't want to take a chance of a plug coming up and someone could get hurt. Just one of my rules. I felt like digging everything. I set it on all metal. I was digging a lot of foil, tiny nails, pull tabs some coins and a very small gold chain. There is no clasp on it. It was maybe 1 1/2" deep. It still sounded good. In the picture, it did not show the gold color. I put a dime with it to show how small it is. Now the best part. A friend of mine was with me. When I seen it was a gold chain. I had him come over and check it with his detector. I told him to put it in all metal. I left it in the hole. He could not hit it. He was using his AT Pro.. Don't get me wrong about his Pro, Hi finds a lot of silver coins with it... Thanks for looking... KEN from Ind.

Nice find Ken. Yeah, not many detectors can hit those small chains when the clasp is missing. Good job. HH jim tn

Yeah, a smaller coil has a better chance to get those tiny chains. Nice job, Ken.

He could not hit it. He was using his AT Pro.

My thoughts are he did not have the AT Pro Iron Discrimination set right, had it too high and had Iron Audio off, or there was a problem with his ATP. I've dug many small gold chains and all came in much better than they did with my Compadre.

Here is a few found with the AT Pro.

somechains.jpg

You should be able to hit most as long at the Compadre is in AM (Discrimination all the way down). I run my AT Pro at Iron Discrimination 21 that way it will hit the small chains and grunt on the tacks, paper clips & hairpins.

you work for Garrett or something ??

always pushing their machines on a Tesoro forum.

hijacking peoples time in the sun !!

AJ

you work for Garrett or something ??

No!

always pushing their machines on a Tesoro forum.

hijacking peoples time in the sun !!

Sorry I thought this was a place to discuss experience.

Apparently it's a pat each other on the behind and fiction. My bad!

I do have a problem when people misrepresent something I know better, so don't expect me to keep my posts to myself just because you don't approve of my experience.

It is a nice chain and a nice find. I felt the comments on the AT Pro were explainable so I did just that. Is the truth not allowed on this forum?

And just for the record, all I do is hit Recent Messages and see what people are saying. I pay no attention to what forum the post is in. Far as I knew it was in the Garrett AT forum section.

I have experience with both and I just felt there had to be an issue. While the Compadre is a great detector, for the price, it is no comparison to the ATP in depth or sensitivity. But then it shouldn't be. Were talking comparing a $160 detector to a $599 detector.

Sorry Ken didn't mean to hijack your thread I was simply giving my input as to what my experience has been. I think your buddy did not have his AT Pro set correctly because I hit chains like that all the time. As you said you had no discrimination on the Compadre and the AT Pro has no "all metal mode" there is a good chance someone didn't have it adjusted to pick up chains. As long as Iron Audio is on it would have at least grunted on the chain.

Don't take my response as personal or rude but nothing but how I react when I think things are being wrongly presented. I was raised under the idea that "If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing" Latter I came to learn this is little more than turning your head when you see someone in a wheelchair being beat up. It helps that I went through the same experience from the other side and in fact the Compadre was involved. I was led to believe it was all that and a bucket beans when it came to tot lots. Looking for the very best tot lot detector I bought one because hey, no one disputed the claims that were being made that it was as good and better than high dollar machines. I took the lack of anyone denouncing said claims that they must be fact.

Spent my hard earned money on a Compadre with the 8" coil. When I came back to the site and posted that my 20 year old detector was more sensitive and my experience didn't match the claims I was told it was the coil. It was the small coil that was so macho. So I bought another Compadre with the 5.7 coil. It was even worse as I reported back asking WTH? then I was told it must be a bad coil. I bought a 3rd Compadre and the exact same results. When I came back to the site and said Hey this is BS I'm being fed. Then all of the sudden the tone changed to "Well you're trying to compare a $160 detector to a $1,000 detector (DFX)". I was like why the H3ll wasn't I told this the first time before I wasted money on three machines? So now I don't turn my head anymore but get involved to save others my experience.

Again, good find Ken. The Compadre has done you good, but I think your buddy needs help setting up his AT Pro.

Southwind said:

My thoughts are he did not have the AT Pro Iron Discrimination set right, had it too high and had Iron Audio off, or there was a problem with his ATP. I've dug many small gold chains and all came in much better than they did with my Compadre.

somechains.jpg
You are right. After we got home he seen that he did not set it up right. I put it under a small piece of plywood. He reset his detector. He did pick it up. So, his mistake, not mine... KEN

Southwind said:
You should be able to hit most as long at the Compadre is in AM (Discrimination all the way down). I run my AT Pro at Iron Discrimination 21 that way it will hit the small chains and grunt on the tacks, paper clips & hairpins.
Thanks for that help. I will let him know how you set yours up... KEN

Hi Southwind, I have no problem with someone helping to set up a detector to do the right job. How else will we learn.. I never used his ATPRO. He only has been detecting for 3 years now. You would not beleve all the silver he has. So. Thank ypu for your input. I will pass it on to help him... KEN

Southwind said:

somechains.jpg

southwind ,was it an AT- Pro or was it a DFX ?
http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?43678-DFX-and-a-gld-chain

Ken, would it be too much trouble to set the Compadre just to the left edge of the "I" in iron and see if it still picks it up? It would also be nice to see just where it finally stops hitting the chain. I'm hoping it will be enlighning. Thanks.

The AT Pro. They were all tested with the DFX. As that post states, changing to 15 kHz ONLY made all the difference. This is just a few of the chains I've found, and all on ground not water finds. Unlike a lot of people I sell most of my gold to finance buying different detectors to test.

I have a video where I ran my Compadre with the discrimination just at the I in Iron and it did not hit any of the chains I tested. The Compadre does well with the discrimination off but looses depth and sensitivity with turned up even slightly.

Had I turned the discrimination off I'm sure the Compadre would have hit them all. This is a good example of the AT Pro being adjusted properly and the Compadre being adjusted improperly. This test was done before I knew you need to turn the discrimination all the way down on the Compadre.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZzgB7qxsA[/video]

Sorry apparently you can't put two video in the same post.

I also have a video showing the difference it makes finding chains with the DFX using the singal 15 kHz.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5_ygs_5L4[/video]

I spend a good 50% of my hunting looking for gold on land that is why I have done so much testing and videos doing so. My hopes were the Compadre would be the perfect tot lot detector for gold because it is such a pleasure to swing. Unfortunately, I didn't get the depth I needed.

Southwind said:

The AT Pro. They were all tested with the DFX. As that post states, changing to 15 kHz ONLY made all the difference. This is just a few of the chains I've found, and all on ground not water finds. Unlike a lot of people I sell most of my gold to finance buying different detectors to test.

I have a video where I ran my Compadre with the discrimination just at the I in Iron and it did not hit any of the chains I tested. The Compadre does well with the discrimination off but looses depth and sensitivity with turned up even slightly.

Had I turned the discrimination off I'm sure the Compadre would have hit them all. This is a good example of the AT Pro being adjusted properly and the Compadre being adjusted improperly. This test was done before I knew you need to turn the discrimination all the way down on the Compadre.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZzgB7qxsA[/video]
I'll have to test the mx5- think it's about 15 kHz.

Slingshot.... I went out and checked to see just where it would disc out at... I started on All Metal and slowly turned up till it was scratchy. It was half way up between All Metal and Iron. So if I would have been hunting with it set on the "I" on iron, I would have missed it. The only way I would have gotten it set on "I", is if it had a clasp on it. When we got to this place, I wanted to hunt with the disc clear down. And only worked a very small square just to see what all would be their. It was maybe 7' X 7'. there sure was a lot of tiny junk too. Hope this helps. I also have used other detectors over the years. I found chains with all except one. That was the Detector Pro Pirate Pro. It does hit hard on silver coins... KEN

Good job on the chain Ken :clap:things got got a little sidetracked on the form I am sorry .
I know you worked hard and had to dig a lot of trash for that little bit of gold :super: