Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small Gold with Infinium

I have a small gold nugget, maybe a little bigger than birdshot, and containing some quartz, from Alaska. My MXT and Sovereign GT both find it when I lay it on the ground, but so far the Infinium [with the 8 in mono coil] will not. Just what are the optimum settings, procedures for this machine on small gold? Do I need another coil? Am I asking too much of the Infinium? Thanks for any opinions.
James

Your trying to compare apples and oranges. The Inf is a pulse and others vlf. Pulse goes deeper-no disc -but vlf smaller nuggets-some with disc- but not as deep unless you purchase a bigger dd coil which helps greatly with depth. I always miss my ol Inf but lookn' at new minelab underwater and ATX (which ain't doing so well in tests seen) but youtube tests run by others are easily wrong. Steve has a excellent precise set of machine reviews posted here for great info also-GOOD machine found me many nuggets for over a1 1/2 years underwater prior to theft. John

Thanks for the reply Hoser John. I've read lots of the reviews and comments about the Infinium. I know it is challenged in the small gold department, but I won't be selling it anytime soon because I know it will outperform my others in some situations when I might really need it. I haven't tried the stock DD coil on that nugget. Maybe it would surprise me. I have read that the small [3x7] coil offers more sensitivity. Anyone have that experience? Optimal settings?

James,
You might bury any target you want to test with a PI. Something about the eddy currents in the ground. At least it works better that way with my Infinium.
Also I think the 8 inch mono is the best Infinium coil for nuggets. I am not the most experienced nugget hunter around though, hope others chime in.
Rich

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?62,1962479,2001868#msg-2001868

ivanll
:ausflag:

As a general rule the smaller coils have more vlf sensitivity BUT Gold Bug Pro ,when using the huge Excelerator ACF Pro 12+" spider web lookn' coil you punch MUCH deeper and have as good if not better tiny nugget sensitivity. A few friends have used over 6 months and amazing as definately goes against the grain in conventional thinking. The whole coil is HOT??? John

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ivanll, I'll let you know if the stock coil works on that nugget when I get around to changing coils [a little tricky].

Hi James,
You are asking a lot of the Infinium with a bird shot sized nugget. My experience with my Infinium is that the 8" mono is the hottest coil on small nuggets.Down below 5 grains, I wouldn't expect it to sound off on it regardless of coil or soil. I like my Infinium and plan on keeping it around, but if the gold is real small, I break out my trusty VLF. Happy hunting!

-Pat

Pat, I agree. I looked at that nugget I'm using and realized it has a bigger piece of quartz in it than I thought, so not so much gold there. You say the 8 inch is the hottest coil but have you tried and compared it to the 3x7?

John,

First of all I alway enjoy your posts..both informative and entertaining.
I have seen Excelerator coils for many detectors but I can't find any information on models compatible with the Goldbug pro. Can you tell me where to find these?
Thanks!

Hi James,
To be honest, I do not own the 3x7 coil mainly because I haven't seen the need for it. Mono's , in my experience, are usually a bit hotter than D-D's and I haven't run into ground too hot for the 8" mono. I own the big mono along with the stock D-D and find myself switching between the two mono's and seldom, if ever, use the stock coil. I guess it really boils down to what kind of gold you are hunting and what your conditions are like.When I am detecting with my Infinium, it is usually in open terrain, after placer nuggets. I like the big coils to cover more ground and to punch down deeper.If I am hunting for nuggets in bedrock, say in a wash or creekbed, I usually use my VLF with a small coil. That said, I have found gold with the small mono in open terrain when friends and I were trying to clean out a patch. Unless the 3x7 is unusually hot on small gold, and my guess is it isn't, I don't see me owning one. If you get one, I would love to hear a review on it.

Good Luck to You,
-Pat "the Jawa"

Which test are the ATX not doin so well in Hoser? Looks pretty good to me...

Just by the nature of the Infiniums design it is limited to the smallst nugget at around a .3 gram. Some have found smaller but that is pretty much the limit point. For the bigger coils you need to hit a .5-.6 gram to get it to sound off.

Bearkat