Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small piece of a knife or sword from colonial era site.

Ground_Hog_MD

Dug up the lower piece of a knife or sword, a hand forged nail and some other odd items.
from colonial era site ....

Yep, file for sure.
HH Ed in co.

Most definitely not a hand file ... it is a knife blade. in electrolysis tub now, will post better pics later.
here is one like it and the link to the page ...
http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com/miscellaneous-civil-war-relics

Thats some old metal there, GH.:surprised:..I found two files so far this year from the 40's I figure, according to the 'dateable" other odds and ends in there with them.. in the water, down in the black mud...and a guy knows right away that its a file, unmistakeable...up until this year, I would have guessed what you found is a file too, except yours looks way much older, and in with forged older stuff...so it could be a knife or sword! Let us know if you get a definitive lock on what it is....great find!
Mud

ooh we have comedians, i like funny ... funny thing is, in the exact same spot that i dug up the " FILE " i have dug up a colonial era musket trigger guard, 6-8 buttons, several shoe and other buckles, round musket balls, a silver pendant, a gold brooch, several later 18th century minie balls, British slipware, shelledged pearlware and other pottery, a pair of shackles, many large chains and large pieces of iron, several pieces of human bone, and other odd items, i guess whoever was there fought with a hand file, or filed himself to death. im no expert but based on the items i am finding in this spot, it appears to be a soldier or several as the items are military related, im not finding any tools or work related items . im digging in St Augustine FL on private land on the river ... we have a lot of history to dig up here. and im diggin it.

its amazing how an electrolysis tub can make a hand file look more like a knife with every hour ....