Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small serch coil questions

OK, the manual is written to cover the big DD coil. But I spend a lot of time at our local fairgrounds, close, bathrooms, no poison oak, lots of years worth of trash, multiple signals almost everywhere. So, lately, I've started using the small, 4 1/2" sniper coil. I can understand I will loose depth, but how will this affect the other readings, like ground balance? Got any tips on how I should re-tune the settings to use the smaller coil?

Proper ground balancing is a must for any coil to be effective. The good thing is a 4 1/2" coil doesn't need much clean ground to ground balance. I use my Super Sniper at those trashy sites, in around and under the picnic tables, benches, playground equipment, up against the fences and any other tight quarters. I know going in I'm sacrificing depth compared to larger coils. But I also know I will be sacrificing depth in return fo greater sensitivity and the possibility of recovering gold jewelry which is what I'm going for. There are different schools of thought on the settings for this coil. You are correct in saying there are no notes in the Owners Manual. Some people are of the opinion to run the Super Sniper using high settings, some say to lower the sensitivity because depth is not an issue. The Super Sniper has the capabilities to go either way, like every other coil. Experiment with the settings and use what works best for you and for the intended taget you are searching for. By best, I'm refering to results. Are you recovering what it is you are searching for? I own the Sniper and use it when warranted, it has served me well. Happy hunting.

I love my Sniper coil and honestly never considered the excellent questions you've raised. I've just set up like usual and had pretty good luck. After reading this post and the responses so far I am going to experiment. You may have just opened a new big world of hunting with a little coil. Thanks. HH. Matt