Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small unknown buckle

I found this when I went out metal detecting deep in the woods, no idea how old it could be.

Maybe you guys can help out.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

Well, there was a huge open field and I did find a fair amount of very old bottles. I presume that the place was in use around the 19th century as I've seen and heard stories about people out trapping, exploring, and hunting in the Porcupine Mountains of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan around the 1800's; which also happens to be in the region of the woods that I was metal detecting at.

My guess according to the field and the vast amount of pine trees planted everywhere that the place used to be one very big farm that was in use around the mid to late 1800's.

And I presume that it used to be a farm as I've seen plenty of ancient old farms around the area that I live, which most of them are gone and all that's left is some foundations.

Since you mentioned the area had trappers..... guessing it could be a buckle off an old style single compartment Maine type backpack or wicker back basket.

Now that you mentioned that it seems highly plausible, and yeah there were definitely trappers going around in the Porcupine mountains so I wouldn't doubt it if it came from an old bag from back then.

I've even took a picture of it awhile ago after making this thread and searched through images and it most resembled many of the old buckles dating back into the era of the 19th century, which definitely backs up my story for sure.