Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Smallest Practical Detectable Gold?

Well, the title pretty much gives it away, but I was wondering about the smallest actual detectable gold flake/nugget/speck that anyone has found.

So, what is the smallest gold you've found with a metal detector and which detector did you use?

We have small flakes and dust here where I am, but that's it...so there is a practical application.

I have found pieces of gold near the surface in the Nevada desert under a grain in weight each using a Gold Bug 2. The machine is capable of finding 1/4 of a grain pieces. But not very profitable. A grain of gold right now is worth around 2.81, fluctuates with gold prices. The far right piece of gold in my avatar is a tad under one grain.

That's really cool! A tenth of a grain (.1) works out to under a thousandth of an ounce.

Technology is pretty amazing sometimes. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Anyone else?

One way of looking at it is a rock [or vein] could be heavily loaded with fine gold and your detector might not make a sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jamesinwesttexas said:
One way of looking at it is a rock could be heavily loaded with fine gold and your detector might not make a sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct.