Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Snake bite remedy to bring along?

JoanInCreek

Hi, can anyone tell me what to bring in case a snake sneaks up on me, or more likely, I sneak up on it? I use my detector as a foot first sort of speak, but you never know what I will run into when traipsing through weeds and woods. Thanks!

I use track shoes and get as much distance (1000 miles might work) between me and said sneaky little reptile lurking about just to make me soil my pants.
Actually other than water moccasins snakes would much rather run than fight.
With all that balderdash over with I must say I don't know the latest on snake bites. Last I knew you were supposed to put ice on it and get thee to a medical facility. No cutting and sucking of yore.

First and foremost, if you live in snake country, I would be wearing high boots with some stiff leather or snakeproof liners....Never being in that neck of the woods (Not sure if Nebraska and Missouri had snakes when I was out there), I have no idea what I would do if I got bit...Most we have to worry about up here in NY are timber rats, and they are so small that you nearly have to pick em up and attach em to your leg for them to bite you...

HH,

BH-LandStar

There are some military surplus stores that have snake bite kits, small little kits that fit neatly into the pocket. Most any sporting goods , that is a hunting fishing camping store will have snake bite kits including Walmart (when its in season that is ) .But as posted high leather boots help with and inner linning . I dont know where you live . As said most snakes fear humans more than the humans fear snakes. Except for a few like the water moccasins which become very aggressive is their territory is invaded. Personally I carry a .22 pistol with bird shot if I know I am going to be in one of those areas. However I havent been MD in those areas just rideing a 4 wheeler and fishing or hunting. I have not been bit myself by a snake but I have read some where or seen that if one does get bit, A poisonous snake will leave 2 puncture holes and a non poisonous leaves 4. But , then if its a 4 puncture there is the risk of rabbies .

Snakes mouths are VERY dirty....The risk of infection alone is very high...Your right about the 4 puncture marks...more like 8...4 on top, and 4 on bottom...I got bit by a black racer in Virginia (trying to catch it)...darn thing coiled up like a rattler, shook the leaves on the ground to sound like a rattler, then struck me 2 times before I ever saw it move...Never knew I had been hit until I saw the blood...lol...We did catch the little bugger, and my buddy put it in a pillow case, then a cardboard box with holes, then a wooden crate to ship it to Florida where his Mom lived (We were at Ft. Eustis (Even Uncle Sam Thought it Sucked)...Aviation training - Army)...I thought he was flippin nuts!!! I went back to the barracks and washed the wound out with peroxide, and alcholhol...OUCH!!!...the next day, I went to the post clinic, and they cleaned it with benedine (that red stuff that never wears off)...lol

HH,

BH-LandStar

I have one of those snake bite kits posted above...but nearly wore it out playing with it.
Its cool,works on bee stings as well.

Hay BH-LandStar,

The Tember Rattlers here are up to 6' long. They are fat and can hit hard like a man. The locals around here call them velvet tails. It looks like velvet just above their rattles.

The Diamond Backs could knock you down. Up in Northern Arkansas they are so big that the locals skid when they run over them because just running over them will not hurt them. They are so long that you can run over them with both truck ties and lots of snake is left on each side.

More people die of lightning strikes in this country than snake bites.

90+% of the people who get bit are messing with the snake.

Snakes are not dangerous.

What's the big deal:shrug:

HH,

Tab is right...a snake like a skunk is smart, and will only strike as a last resort...it knows it has a limited supply of venom, and it is not going to waste it....you have to corner a snake, or threaten it's nest or den to really peeved it off...They would rather run, than fight...

HH,

BH-LandStar

In the army during training exercises, and in the scouts as a kid we learned proper first aid for snake bite. DO NOT wash the wound, the venom left on the skin may be necessary for later identification of the species. Take a wide pressure (stretch bandage) and begin at the bite site first, then wrap the bandage down toward the lowest point. Then back up the limb as far as possible. The bandage needs to be at least as tight as for sprains, it must be firm to slow venom and blood flow from the wound site. We have the most deadly and numerous venomous snakes in the world here in OZ. We used to do military training in the breeding ground of the deadly Taipan (eastern) during breeding season, I've been chased by the mongrels for no apparent reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are beaten for the deadliest land snake in the world by the Western Taipan AKA Fierce snake, of the same family! We have the most species of venomous snakes in the world also. Take care in their enviroment fellas. HH regards Nugget.:detecting: