Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Snaked a few from the trash . . . . .

Andy Sabisch

Hit a spot that had a house on it in the 1850's which was gone by the 1880's and then another was built in its place at the turn of the century and also disappeared by the 1930's which makes the Mercury an oddity. Currently it is vacant land. The owner gave me permission to hunt the site but said I was not the first to search it . .. . . we've heard that before no?

Used the Deus and was checking in-ground signals with a pair of other detectors which was a little time consuming but I did pull some keepers out of the trash . . . primarily ferrous from the houses. Odd that three of the Wheats were 1919's with two being "S" mintmarks here in Illinois . . .

As you can see from the photo, nails were littering many areas which is where the Deus pulled the coins shown . . . surprisingly nothing pre-1900 turned up - but you need to get the coil over it to find it right?

As a side-note, of the 10 coins shown, 4 were not detectable with the other machines and this was checking the area from multiple directions and even switching to a smaller coil on one of them.

The little nut came from a 7 inch deep plug so anyone that thinks you don't get depth with the Deus does not have something set correctly.

Once you learn the laugauge of the Deus it speaks volumes about what's under the coil. Many of the comments you see now from people that are frustrated were the same words you saw posted when the Explorer and then the E-Trac came out . . . it's different than other detectors and tells its own story but once you become one with the detector, it is amazing what turns up.

Andy

Congrats. Nice to see you doing some in field testing. I am starting to hear what the Deus is saying but I have been using it about eight months. Don't get me wrong I have been finding things since day one but I am learning more and more what the tones say. Thanks, for sharing.

Don
HH

Don

You are right that time makes the difference . . . . . I have a chapter in the book that covers how to accelerate that which hopefully will resonate with Deus users . . . . there is no one setting for all types of hunting despite what some people are asking for but the Deus has some tricks to help you find that sweet spot in less time than most detectors.

Glad the rain has held off over the past week - practically needed the water mod antenna to hunt half the fields around here . . . . :veryangry:

Andy

Nice going Andy, it's always amazing to do detector comps and see what a Deus can see that some of the others don't.

Well put Andy.... I think the Deus really shines in the area of finding coins in areas littered with nails. There has been plenty of times I have dug a coin and there be a couple of nails in the same hole, its kind of funny because when you dig the nail first you say to yourself I know that's not it because the Deus clearly told me it was coin and sure enough keep searching that hole and if the Deus said it was a coin then its a coin...lol.

You're spot on about the language Andy, There are times when I get an iffy signal that sounds like iron falsing, but there's just something about the signal that says investigate further.
I take a relic shovel full of the field dirt and turn it over, re-sweep the hole and get that undistorted sweet signal. That's when I'm just amazed because the iron (usually nail) that was partially masking the target was above it in the dirt.

He he he...I love it! I have been finding silver that no other machines could even begin to discover. Just last evening, I pulled a Merc from a pit of coke and iron. I was smugly satisfied! LOL!

And yes, I LOVE those iffy signals that have just enough of that 'sweetness'. Often, they produce a keeper.

Did I mention I love my Deus?

The Deus' weight make it a whole lot easier to be more methodical when swinging slow in trash/iron. I feel like I'm forced to go too fast a lot of times when using one of the other "tank feeling" detectors. The balance and feel of the Deus is #1 hands down. I even find myself resweeping spots often with a variable sweep speed, no sweat. And being able to manage the coil to ground distance is a lot easier with the Deus. You watch, some other detector manufacturer will come up with one similar to Deus. For the ladies and old timers it's the cats meow. Heck even for me and I'm pretty strong it's the cat's meow. And I actually like the TID disapearing at depth verus being half baked. Are there really that many pull tabs and junk nonferrous say below the 7" depth strata except maybe fill dirt scenarios? The ole boy behind the Deus was a pretty sharp cookie in my books. Did I say, I love my Deus too !!!

Andy i cant wait for your book. I just got my Deus 2 weeks ago and have already had some good finds with it and love using it. I loved your E trac book, too bad i didnt like the machine itself, just glad its the wifes and not mine, hehe.

Since the book will contain V3.0 material - settings, features, programs, etc., it can't be released until the V3.0 software is wrapped up and announced ready for relase . . . . . sorry :shrug:
I can post the cover as a teaser :blush:

Andy

=======================================================================================

(Moderator Note: Post was edited to reformat the text and remove the ALL CAPS which made up the original post)

=======================================================================================

I know you guys love the Deus, but I don't think it is as good as you all say.

I feel my AT Pro, has more depth, I say that because a lot of the time I flip over a plug and it will not read it, it is in the plug an I find it with my pin-pointer

It is a lot nicer not getting tied up in the wires the light-weight is nice and the fast recovery is super

I find a lot of silver rings with my AT Pro but I have not found one ring in the last ten months with the Deus

I go out two to four times a week and do not have a good handle on the Deus

Ok, rockstar, I'm assuming you're sincere. All I can tell you is that I have/use both the AT Pro and the XP Deus, and I started with a Tesoro Compadre. Learning on the Compadre really made me learn to listen. Given your visual impairments, do you have a well developed sense of hearing? I am learning that listening to the Deus is more important than the numbers, but the numbers clearly give you information as well. And I, too, struggled with the Deus. I forced myself to use it for many hours, and probably tortured myself by trying to learn it in a trashy (non-ferrous trash mostly) park. I finally decided to give myself a break for one weekend and used the AT Pro. The AT Pro is easier, and, overall, more intuitive for me, I had a grand time with it. And then I cheated -- I used the AT Pro for 2 weekends (and midweek hunts as well).

The 3rd weekend, I decided I had to try the XP again. For whatever reason, whether it was the mental break, or my brain needed that time to process, or whatever, it all suddenly clicked. When I'd get multiple signals under the coil, I instantly knew how to adjust to isolate the sounds. I could swing from another direction and really identify the sound and pinpoint it. I was also very conscious of ground balancing and turning DOWN my sensitivity a touch. And in a brief 90 minute hunt I found over $3 in clad (no silver, one wheat) and my first gold ring. It rang up right where I get pop top pulltabs, but somehow, something about the way it sounded told me this needed to be dug. Bingo.

Why this long story? Because I feel your pain. I was angry with myself, and started to hate the machine. My recommendation is to do some practice with known objects (both good and bad) and listen. Let your brain process it. Then relax. Take time off. Use your AT Pro. I can't tell you which one is deeper, because I haven't done a controlled experiment. And your experience will depend on so many environmental variables as well as your style of hunting and practices with respect to settings. I still love my AT Pro. And I'm finally learning to love my XP Deus. And if after giving it more time you're still not having fun or success (however YOU measure it), then give up the XP Deus. It doesn't matter how light, and wireless, and fast it is. If it doesn't work for you, then don't stick with it.

Rich

Rockstar, in this post from four weeks ago you stated that you have had the Deus for four months: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,1856947,1897541#msg-1897541 Now it

Rockstar, I am very familiar with both the AT Pro and Deus and I agree the AT Pro does get better depth than the Deus in its preset factory programs. Just like mrwilburino said "programmability" , the Deus's preset factory programs are great for discrimination & recovery but not so great on depth, BUT with some tweaks to the settings you can make the Deus gain a lot more depth (deeper than the AT Pro). Dont get me wrong I'm not putting the AT Pro down by no means because it is a great detector and actually I think its the best bang for the buck on the market today but it is no where close to an XP Deus. Once you get comfortable with the Deus and learn its settings and what its telling you it is one of the best detectors you could ever have. Just remember this you can make an XP Deus act like an AT Pro but you can't make an AT Pro act like an XP Deus. If you want to talk about some of the custom settings to get more depth I would be more than happy to help you out, feel free to contact me anytime.