Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Snorkel hunting SCOOP or NO SCOOP?

Nutriasub

I have been hunting over the last years without a scoop, and lately I've been wondering if the recovery of targets would be faster using a one.
I do the hand or foot fan movement to uncover the target, but some of the really deep ones I can't get them out. Just today I battled with one that end up being a nice gold ring.
I pick around 150 + targets every hunt
What do you guys think.??

What detector do you use? What's the surface bottom like? Sand, clay, etc. Try a small hand held scoop with a wrist tie so you can have the option to use it or hand fan.
Are you diving or wading?

ROBOCOP

blue excal 800 and 1000
They are all sand beaches with some rocks under the first 3-4" of sand. Sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller.
I'm wading up to 6 ft.

That's was my though, hand held. What do you think about a shaft about 3 ft long?
Thanks for the input!

I would use a scoop with a handle just so I could get my foot on the back of the scoop and dig thru the rocks or shell.

The Excals are going deeper than 3 or 4 inches so I want a tool that can dig.

Maybe put some floating noodle material on the handle of the scoop to keep it off the bottom and let it drift a little, experiment.

ROBOCOP

I have tried the snorkel/mask and the full face mask...the full face mask is just too buoyant to make a dive in even 4 feet of water.
I can't hold my breath long enough to do much fanning in 6 feet of water. So that leave be in water below mustache depth. There I would not waist time diving...use a long handle scoop and wade...wait for a perigee tide and go get the targets that you could not reach on an average tide. In fresh water...I wait for a drought or the late summer and let the sun lower the water's depth. Now if snorkeling and diving are your thing: the short handle on a string is the way to go IMO.

Incredible selection of scoops!!!
Why do you have so many? It's the evolution over time or they are for different purposes?

With this kind of armaments, would it be too much to ask you for a pic of your year pickings?

I will get a scoop for sure plus a short handle, and if doesn't work, I will get a longer shaft.
The floating stuff plus the cord probably at a marine supply store right?
Thanks again!

My friend is a expert welder and we experiment with different ideas.

I don't post pics of finds only when I do some returns.

The goal is to be able to dig with just one hand, my left, for more efficient detecting

The handle is an important lever in a lot of different ways.

ROBOCOP

Just nylon rope thru a golf grip.

Like a shoulder strap I carry it on my left shoulder. Keeps the whole scoop above my waistline and away from the coil and keeps my left hand free.

ROBOCOP