Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So close........yet so far away................

plowboy

Anyone have a story of the big one that got away from you. I have hunted on and off for 40 plus years myself, here are a few that still haunt me, still wake me up at night. Google "gold coins found in Jackson, Tn." I was unemployed and was down town trying to get my unemployment check started and was parked virtually on top of this hoard! I had done some research on it but could not access any more info about it. A friend told me not to feel bad about it. He had stopped by from an out of town hunt, and hunted the west side of the lot and was too tired to continue, the gold was on the east side. It didn't make me feel any better. There are other stories, an older lady told me she walked home from work and at a certain place after a heavy rain she had picked up silver dollars on two occasions. My tongue was hanging out on this one as I rushed there only to find a very large parking lot where the house was. And the last story really eats at me, I was visiting a friends grandparents and grandma talked my ear off, they didn't have many visitors, now with covid I understand her behavior, I chased the postman down the street yesterday, he said he understood my need to talk to someone but I had to let go of his leg and get up off the ground. Anyway back to my story, grandpa politely knew my interest in detecting and out of the clear blue sky he told me he knew where a large confederate camp was and where they had crossed the river, he said he would take me to it but could not leave the house because grandma won't stop talking. I said ok, I will be back here in a couple of months. Guess what, grandpa passed away. I sure there are other stories you guys could share....................

Oh man, that’s tough. I do have one. No tragedy involved though.
I knew a farmer back home whose now deceased father acquired another farm in the 70s from another family. One of those families members was serving time in prison for bank robbery. Him and some buddies robbed a bank back in the 40s or 50s and had thousands of dollars in cash and silver and they managed a gold bar in the heist. The police got the three of them and loot was recovered all but the gold bar. Well they caught this dude at the said aquired farm house. So this farmer was very certain that the man had to of hidden the gold nearby as the rest was recovered there. He asked me on several occasions to come and search for it. I never did as it’s 60 miles from where I lived and just figured what are the chances, you know. But now i think about it a lot and wish I would have at least tried to find it.

Oh man, that’s tough. I do have one. No tragedy involved though.
I knew a farmer back home whose now deceased father acquired another farm in the 70s from another family. One of those families members was serving time in prison for bank robbery. Him and some buddies robbed a bank back in the 40s or 50s and had thousands of dollars in cash and silver and they managed a gold bar in the heist. The police got the three of them and loot was recovered all but the gold bar. Well they caught this dude at the said aquired farm house. So this farmer was very certain that the man had to of hidden the gold nearby as the rest was recovered there. He asked me on several occasions to come and search for it. I never did as it’s 60 miles from where I lived and just figured what are the chances, you know. But now i think about it a lot and wish I would have at least tried to find it.
Eats at you doesn't it. I've bungled a few, a friend told me of playing with gold coins when he was a little boy, his grandpa had a large jug full of gold coins, life savings he called it. He gave specific directions to the old cabin which I never went to, Now that I have the 600 I tried to remember the location and I can't find it now. Add it to the list.

Reversal story...... imagine a soccer field built in the 70s near a Jr High School. Numerous detectorists over the years gathering clad and small good and bad jewelry, see them everywhere swinging away. I must of had an angel on my shoulder the day I wandered about and got a hit on a dime signal and pulled out an 1897 Barber only a couple inches down! Was that one square inch missed by everybody including me over the years. Wonder what all the others thought when they heard what got away from them. Didnt get away from me......for once!!

Found a mercury dime that had a crusty covering. Thought for sure it would be a 1916D but once I got the crap off of it, it turned out to only be a 1918D. So close.... everything was correct except the last digit in the date. :cry2:

Yep this has happened more than once!!!

Attachments

• E14B12A3-2F8E-42A4-BA73-37F8A2249792.png
    E14B12A3-2F8E-42A4-BA73-37F8A2249792.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 120