Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So... What am I missing???

After reading several reviews on it, I purchased the Makro Racer Pro Pack almost two years ago. Although I have not put in enough hours on it to become an expert, I feel very comfortable with the machine and like what it has found for me. While I initially hated that it didn't save settings like my other machines, I gradually came around to the realization that having to start from scratch every time actually forced me to consider why I was choosing each setting.

Then the Racer2 came out, causing quite a stir on this and other forums. It effectively reduced the resale value of my red Racer to about half of what I paid. Being retired now and on a much more limited budget, I am trying to figure out exactly what I would gain by selling detectors/blood/plasma to purchase the Racer2. If saving my settings is all I would gain, I will just muddle along with the red Racer!

So is there some other amazing feature I'm missing?

And, should I do what it takes to get the Racer2? Or just wait until the Impact comes out?

Thanks for your input!

Phillip - I was in the same boat, but I was so impressed with the Racer, I knew I had to give the Racer 2 a try. I think that the added features on the Racer 2 have made it a much better coin/jewelry hunter. The adjustable tone breaks, notches, adjustable audio tones, and the DEEP mode, and then being able to save those setting can really benefit the coin hunter. If coin hunting, being able to set the tone breaks where you want them, and then setting the tones where you want them, and the notches, etc. makes almost unlimited combinations a hunter can use. Want nickels and clad to all have the same tone? you can do that. Want zincs to have a different tone than the other coins? you can do that also. I think the most important feature for the ghost town hunter is the Iron audio volume. Being able to run the Disc (id filter) really low helps to unmask the non ferrous but by having the iron volume set very low, keeps you from going bonkers from listening to all that iron. I'm really happy I went for the Racer 2.

I agree. The Racer 2 is geared more towards coin hunting than the original Racer. It's not going to go any deeper. It isn't going to unmask any better. But with Iron audio, and expanded VDI range, tone breaks, and deep mode it offers you more information on the go about digging targets. The original Racer more or less alerted you to a conductive target which in my opinion was great for relic hunting.

Hello Phillip----Run into any mountain lions lately?:biggrin:--------The Racer 2----well, as I see it--here is a list of the features that makes it a "step up" from the original Racer.-----(1) iron audio volume control (2) tone break (3) save/memory (4) notch filter (5) deep mode (6) I SAT.------Of those six listed--(IMO) the first three would be the most useful/helpful (over the Red Racer).----That loud (unadjustable) iron volume on the Red Racer can get to be a PITA---it's almost worth the price of admission to go to #1 on the Racer 2 for that feature alone (again, IMO).-----------Del

No Del - no more lion encounters, but now when I go detecting in that area, there's a 44 magnum on my hip the whole time! I talked to a guy who hunts lions in that area and he told me that I would never even see a lion if it was hunting me until it was already on top of me. He says he never even sees them until his dogs get them moving! And he's actively looking for them!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think you guys have convinced me to bite the bullet and get the R2.

But what do I do with the red Racer???

Trade it in on a R2--or try to sell it.----Either way, you're going to take a "bath" on the deal.-----I did anyhow!
Phillip_in_NM said:
No Del - no more lion encounters, but now when I go detecting in that area, there's a 44 magnum on my hip the whole time! I talked to a guy who hunts lions in that area and he told me that I would never even see a lion if it was hunting me until it was already on top of me. He says he never even sees them until his dogs get them moving! And he's actively looking for them!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think you guys have convinced me to bite the bullet and get the R2.

But what do I do with the red Racer???

I took a bath as well. I wasn't a fan of the Red Racer because I am a coin hunter. At the time I wrote a negative review and sold it all within a few days. Probably screwed myself. That was before the Racer 2 was ever announced. Now your screwed by the release of a new product. You can keep it as a backup. A rainy weather detector. A detector for your vehicle. What we used to call our winter cars (A beater). The coils are interchangeable so don't sell off your spare coils. Off Topic: I see the same thing happening to the Deus when version 4 finally gets released. It will require a new coil to take advantage of the new software. I think all those old coils will drop in price like a rock in water.

I had two Racers when I bought my R2. I sold my like new Racer pro pack on fleebay and got $430 for it. Ouch!

If you are serious about taking advantage of what the R2 has to offer--forgive yourself the cost of upgrading. It's well worth it and if you have some decent sites you should be able to recoup the cost over time. Notch Filtering and Adjustable Tone Break complete the package and give you a ton more accuracy. If you like the R1--the R2 is just what you want. It's also a lot better on the beach because of the All Metal features--(adjustable SAT to smooth it out), and a slowed down Deep Mode.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Short and sweet.

I also had the Red Racer and hated it as a park coin detector. Bought the Racer 2 and it was the difference in night and day for coin hunting old trashy parks. I would not hesitate to recommend the Racer 2 as a coin hunter.

If it were as light as my Deus it would be my main detector.

I'll add one more thing to that. The Racer's operating fq (14kHz) has great gold sensitivity. However that range opens you up to a lot of other low conductors--foils and aluminum. Its just a fact that this range has a lot of targets. With Notch and Adjustable Tone Break you are much better able to manage this sensitivity--a real plus for the gold hunter. Its gives you more selectivity.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

OK, started looking at the Racer2 and got a little sidetracked reading the discussion regarding the Nokta Impact. It appears to be the next generation after the Racer2. So, since financing a Racer2 is going to be quite difficult (not insurmountable), would I be better off waiting for the Impact to be released and then buying it or buying a Racer2 when the Impact comes out, which will almost certainly diminish the resale value of the Racer2's out there?

Just looking for your valued opinions here.

I'd wait for the Impact and then start saving for the Impact 2 so by the time the Impact Racer was released I'd have saved enough for the Racer Impact 2.5 with version 6 software. Or maybe by then I'd want a Platinum or Diamond Racer th go with my Gold Racer. Just sayin' :goodnight:

:rofl: Tom, you must have been tired, yet lively in your enthusiastic post. :thumbup:

Phillip_in_NM said:
After reading several reviews on it, I purchased the Makro Racer Pro Pack almost two years ago.
And you purchased an excellent, multi-purpose detector when you did.

Phillip_in_NM said:
Although I have not put in enough hours on it to become an expert, I feel very comfortable with the machine and like what it has found for me. While I initially hated that it didn't save settings like my other machines, I gradually came around to the realization that having to start from scratch every time actually forced me to consider why I was choosing each setting.
I'm curious what the "other machines" are that you have? The Racer isn't difficult to turn On and get started with only a few quick adjustment settings for the site you're hunting. January of last year I started my transition away from several makes and model that are still very good detectors, but they just fall a little short of the performance I got from my Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer

As with any detector, we need to put in ample time afield and really learn and master the detectors we use, if we want to get the best performance put of them. Get 'comfortable' with a detector, then continue to learn and know each make and model and coil choice well.

Phillip_in_NM said:
Then the Racer2 came out, causing quite a stir on this and other forums. It effectively reduced the resale value of my red Racer to about half of what I paid. Being retired now and on a much more limited budget, I am trying to figure out exactly what I would gain by selling detectors/blood/plasma to purchase the Racer2. If saving my settings is all I would gain, I will just muddle along with the red Racer!
Yes, the Racer 2 grabbed a lot of attention, and yes, Makro Detectors did reduce the MSRP of the Racer model and that had an effect on the resale value .... IF a person wanted to sell the proven and trusted Racer.

Kind of like saying the Nokta Detector's release of the FORS Relic would have effected the resale value of the FORS CoRe or Gold +. However, I had to change my ways long ago about narrowing my detector battery too small. Oh yes, I can guarantee that I have often gone through a 'thinning-out' process to part with some detector models in order to acquire another, but at the same time I made sure I maintained a detector arsenal such that all of them provided me a sufficient level of performance and I only got rid of the excess units that fell short of what I wanted and needed for the types of sites I enjoy hunting.

I have been on a 'limited budget' of a piddly amount of Social Security since early 2012 after my workers comp claim settled, and retirement does have its budget limitations, but all we can do is figure out what works for us and replace it, or add to what we have, only after considering any value or benefits that might come our way with a new detector acquisition.

Phillip_in_NM said:
So is there some other amazing feature I'm missing?
'Amazing' is all a matter of personal preference. The Racer is very quick to turn on, select a preferred search mode, make a quick adjustment as desired to the Sensitivity [size=small](Gain)[/size] and ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] and start hunting, but since I like to use different search models based on the coil I have mounted and the types of sites I employ them, I do appreciate the Racer 2's ability to 'save' the program and start-up mode settings.

As for some Racer 2 features being 'amazing,' compared with the original Racer, I will say Yes, to some folks they are, and for others not so much. It really depends on how often a person gets out detecting and how dedicated they are at learning the features, as well as knowing what the newer adjustment features are, and if they work for them. For example, the Racer 2 has the Iron Audio Volume control which I really appreciate. Most of the sites I hunt are loaded with iron nails as well as cut wire fence pieces, rusty tin and other annoying iron. I like to keep my Discrimination low so that I hear the presence of iron to know it is there and can cause good-target masking, and I can then work the coil around the iron to try and pick out keepers.

But I know many 'hobbyists' are not as avidly interested in hearing everything and they use a lot of Discrimination, even to knock out all probable iron trash, or even some lower-conductive foil, so for them Iron Audio Volume is useless because all iron is rejected. I like to hear it, but reduce the loudness of iron so as not to be overly annoying.

There are other adjustment features on the Racer 2 that also are a use/no-use feature based on each individual's preference. I know many 'typical hobbyists' who don't know what Tone Break is or have a desire for it as it is an extra adjustment and, if not used in a practical fashion, can confuse them. I also know those who don't use, or understand the value, of the Audio Tone adjustment, or make use of Notch or even understand the use of the MMI [size=small](Magnetic Mineralization Indicator)[/size] read-out.

Those features are there [size=small](and there is an MMI indicator on your original Racer)[/size], and more, but it is really an individual decision of what you want, what you will use, and how often you plan to get out detecting to really take advantage of any added benefits they provide. One other improvement t on the Racer 2, in my opinion, is the enhanced Target ID numeric read-out where the Iron/Non-Iron breakpoint is now '10' rather than the '40' on the original Racer which therefore broadens the TID range for all the non-ferrous targets which can allow a little more 'cherry picking' potential for those times when modern trash is too annoying and you want to use the visual TID read-out to be more selective in your recovery efforts.

Phillip_in_NM said:
And, should I do what it takes to get the Racer2? Or just wait until the Impact comes out?

Thanks for your input!
Until the Nokta Impact gets in the hands of field evaluators and they make any final production determination to release the Impact, all we can do is hope for the best and await the final product. I am certain the Impact is going to be a rather impressive detector as they are taking ample time and effort to get it right, but I also believe the Impact is going to be a model that will appeal to more of the 'Avid Detectorists' who will learn and understand all the features it will offer. It possibly could be too much for the average 'Hobbyist' to fully appreciate as they might not understand some of the features, and also might not get out detecting often enough to really learn what it will offer.

I will boldly state that the 'original' Racer is a very well received and very versatile detector as it is. The Racer 2 is just an enhanced Racer with some extra features and a change in the ferrous/non-ferrous break-point and Target ID scale. It is a lot of detector with a lot of performance. Matter of fact, I am headed out now on the 4th of July morning for a little detecting time, while it is still cooler, with my Racer 2's, and I can go Coin & jewelry Hunting with any of the series, including the 'original' Racer and have very good results.

Only you can determine how often you get out detecting and what features you feel you want or would like to have, then make a decision on acquiring a newer detector. Maybe thin out some of your other detectors, keeping the Racer, and just get a Racer 2 that shares the same search coils and will complement your Racer? Just a thought.

Happy 4th of July!

Monte

Tom Slick said:
I'd wait for the Impact and then start saving for the Impact 2 so by the time the Impact Racer was released I'd have saved enough for the Racer Impact 2.5 with version 6 software. Or maybe by then I'd want a Platinum or Diamond Racer th go with my Gold Racer. Just sayin' :goodnight:

:rofl: You do make me laugh! But your point is well taken.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I will just bite the bullet and go for the Racer2. Still not sure what I will do with the red Racer, but it has earned its keep, so I won't be broken hearted to just keep it.

Monte, you certainly made some good points and I appreciate your taking the time to share them. I'm assuming that the Racer2 did well in your nail board test since it's your primary machine right now. Sounds like we hunt the same type of ground, so your confidence in the Racer2 means a lot!

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts. I just love the wealth of knowledge we can take advantage of here!

Tom Slick said:

Is it sour grapes because these guys can actually design, produce and market reasonably good detectors in quick succession

Not quite as impressive as that US company that pumped out three (3) versions of the Delta 4000 in quick succession and the only changes were the coil cable connection and the confusion over the headphone jacks -

At least with Makro/Nokta the changes they make warrant a NEW model -

In all fairness, there is no need to wait in purchasing a new detector - there are perfectly good units on the market now - Grab yourself one of those reliable Whites MX Sports - Great company - solid product and they are already on version 4 now - impressive - lol

I hope this helps - just sayin - pmsl

No Sour Grapes here. Just pointing out that no matter how long you wait for the next model, another will be just around the corner. So do you keep on waiting or at some point just bite the bullet and go for it. I have the Racer, Racer 2 , and Gold Racer. Will most likely end up with the Impact also.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were taking the pi55 at the speed Nokta/Makro were releasing their products -

My bad and my apologies to you good sir - I had a rough night - Cheers

No problem. Sarcasm gets me into trouble sometimes. :beers: