Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So what target has eluded your pouch after many yrs in the hobby...dont include gold pieces or morgan and peace dollars..

Gold coins aside per instruction from the OP....a 20 cent piece would be difficult due to rarity. A coin I HAVE found which is VERY hard to find is a 3 cent nickel. Almost nobody would be coin hunting in that range, which is even lower than a regular nickel. HOW I found it might be handy for the next guy to know, as that’s how a gold coin might also be found. I dug a signal with my IDXPro that came in at zinc. The 3CN was in with a modern quarter. I feel the best chance I have at a gold coin will be a similar situation, given the public sites and fairgrounds that I tend to gravitate toward.
The coin I have NOT found which I thought I would’ve found by now is indeed a TRIME. Being that I live in southern Wisconsin and we just don’t have much history here earlier than the 1840’s, it’s not easy to ”go old”. In fact, my oldest coin is an 1844 LC. That’s TOUGH to do! My number one bucket lister is a Seated half, followed by a trime and Capped anything.

your spot on 3 cent pieces and a 20 cent piece are scarcer then hens teeth for sure and i dont ever recall a member bringing one in for our monthly meetings...Man that would be just as great as ( almost ) as find a gold piece for sure..

56+ years of avid detecting:

+ .. Gold coin

+ .. Quite a few Silver Dollars with Morgan's out-numbering Peace abount 14-to-1.

+ .. Half-Cent, Large Cent, Flying Eagle Cent, many, many Indian Head Cents including 'fatties', Two Cent, both Trime and Nickel Three Cent pieces.

+ .. My all-time favorite ghost town, I named 'Twin Flats', produced hundreds of old coins to card and fill 4 binders with more to clean and card that included Capped Bust & Seated Liberty Half-Dimes, and the Seated Liberty Dimes, Quarters and Halves out-numbered my Barbers by 30-to-1 from that site !!!

- .. But still that blasted Silver Twenty Cent piece alludes me.

THAT IS THE ONE COIN I WANT TO FIND !

truely an amazing amount of time hunting and staying with the hobby !! Congrats... hard to imagine that seateds outnumber your barber finds ... I guess it comes down to location, location , location.... I'm running out of time for a seated find.. but I'm hoping.

mark ( ohio )

truely an amazing amount of time hunting and staying with the hobby !! Congrats... hard to imagine that seateds outnumber your barber finds ... I guess it comes down to location, location , location.... I'm running out of time for a seated find.. but I'm hoping.

mark ( ohio )
'Thank You', Mark, and yes it has been a long time, but I was fortunate to get into this great sport in those early years. I built my first detector in March of '65 and used three home-project units until I got my first factory-produced detector in-hand in the summer of '68, and that made quite a difference.

Quantities of coins was simply hard to imagine in that early era, and as time passed, my interests expanded into more Relic Hunting sites, and we had some significant detector improvements in '83, my recoveries afield grew significantly.

As for finding a lot of Seated Liberty coins, you are right.... location, location, location. But that was coupled with being healthy when I was younger, I have devoted a lot of detecting time along the way, and I found and worked all the better-dated places I could find. SL coins in and around Portland Oregon, Ogden and Salt Lake City Utah and several smaller-size towns.

Most, however, have come from old town-sites, aka ghost towns, and other frequent-use old places. Mining-era, railroad-era and several ranching-era town sites. As I mentioned, a railroad town-site I named 'Twin Flats' IS my all-time favorite location ... ever.

The first time I worked at townsite was on May 4th 1969 with my brother Ed. I was using a White's GhostTowner BFO w/6" coil. We only had about an hour and a half of daylight and I found one coin. A 1929 wheat penny which wasn't very old, only 40 years at that point, but it was from the Depression era hand near the end of life for that old long deserted town. The good news for me was I was not skunked.

From that time until my last visit there, maybe 8 years ago, on a bad day I might hunt hard but leave there with only one or two old coins. On my much better days I would leave there with eight or nine old coins, but on an average trip which usually lasted a half day to a full day, I would recover anywhere from 4 to perhaps 7 old coins. Twin Flats surrendered such a wide variety of coin types, from Large cents and Flying Eagles and Indian Head cents to Two Cent, Three Cent and all the typical higher denominations it was quite amazing even to being a surprise at times. I ended up a 2 Day 1 Night outing with a friend and calling it a day my last fine within twenty feet of his vehicle was an 1836 Cabbed Bust half dime. On another trip there with my friend David, found an 1873 Seated Liberty half-dollar and after the recovery I checked the whole as I always do only to chase that signal about 1" deeper and 1" off to my left and it was an 1868 Seated Liberty half. Two seated liberty halves from the same hole.

And as I stated I found hundreds of coins to fill over for binders but once, and only once, was I ever skunked. I was making a trip for a meeting and had to be in a particular town by 6 p.m.. I got to the junction point and thought maybe, just maybe I could get lucky but I only had a total of 4 hours to leave the highway drive a half hour to the town hunt and drive a half hour back to get underway at the highway. That day, I just was not lucky. I hadn't felt good about it at the time but wanted to give it a try because I knew what kind of rewards it held, minus my drive time I had just a little less than 3 hours to hunt and had to depart my favorite site empty-handed.

I know they're still have to be quite a few good targets there oh, but it has been hit hard by me especially and others to the point where I can easily call it worked out. Not cleaned out, and not empty but worked very hard. nd I'd gladly meet you at some of the sites I and others have enjoyed in

Any seated or indian
Thee most recent WTHO ended June 13th, had at least 22 participants, and I know there were a few Indian Head cents, both Shield and 'V' Nickels, and both Seated Liberty Dimes and Quarters found.

Monte

Treasure Coast reale of any denomination