Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Soil types and depth

Sonora70

Yesterday I decided to do a test site to determine the performance of my 705 with the stock 9" 7.5 coil. I buried clad dimes to use as my test coins at 4, 5, and 6 inches. With automatic ground balance set and sensitivity turned to 30 I got a good solid reading on the 4", whisper on the 5", and nothing on the 6" except it read as a iron---solid. Not a good enough signal to dig the 5"....maybe. At times a "possible" beep on the 6" but definitely not enough to dig. No good TID on any of them. The 4" was reading into the 40's regularly. One thing to note is the presence of iron.....getting some iron readings as well all around my test site. I've only had my 705 a couple months so still trying to learn it. How does good ol' KY red clay affect the depth? What is the best (for performance) soil type to have? I have to believe that the red clay dirt we have is a result of iron in the ground......possibly an influence?

One more question.....What/how could I have adjusted my settings to possibly get a better reading on the dimes at the 5 and 6 inch depths?

Still learning.....Thanks for all the advice.

Where in Ky are you? I am about 10 minutes from Lincoln's birthplace. If the soil is loose it will affect depth. leave them in the ground and try again in a few weeks.

First off your test bed needs to set for a good 2 to 3 years before you will be able to use it.The coins need to build up a halo effect and other factors..

I do not know anything about your type of soil but from what I have read in many other posts on here and other forums, the red clay in your area of the country is tough on any kind of MDer and that the DD type coils will help some.

I n my experience it does. When a coin is in the ground for a long time it gets a hallow effect and I get more depth. When I first got my xterra I put a few coins in my garden and I was upset at how bad they ideed at shallow depths. I later learned that depth in real hunting situations is a lot deeper. I live about 30 minutes south of etown towards Greensburg. Maybe we can get together and do some coin hunting.