Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some background about me:detecting:

We lived in this small town in rural Ohio for 30 years. I found a few old bottles in the crawl space and collected a few insulators at garage sales. That was about it because I was pretty focused on raising my daughter and son. When we became empty nesters, we started looking for a piece of property to build on. This took several years. One day we were driving home from church and I looked over at this property and said," That would be a cool piece of property to have." It wasn't but a few days later that my husband got a call from a realtor that he hadn't spoke to in a year. He wanted to know if we were still looking for property. Don't you know it was the same land! So we bought forty acres of it. Our best friends eventually bought 10 acres that run along our forty acres. So we hunt all 50 of it together. So far my friends have found 2 NA artifacts on their 10: a small point and a maul. My 40 is the producer of bottles. I have a creek that runs by the driveway that almost every spring a bottle shows up. We found a foundation up the hill from that area and assume this was a dumpsite and/or everything just fell down to the creek. Then I have another creek that I have also found bottles. There is the remnants of an old road and the stones from a bridge that used to cross a creek. We have several creeks to stomp through. We were told that the drainage tile would have been put in the 40's or 50's. But my husband says the ravines and creeks would have naturally been there first. So lots of hunting ground.

The farm also has an abandoned cemetery. Here is the history I have found out about the farm from doing research on the cemetery:

We purchased 40 acres of an original 80 acre tract. At some point it was combined with another 83 acres to become 163. I have not made that connection yet. The original owner, George, had a few parcels of land. This particular 80 acres was bought in 1832. His brother, Robert, owned a tract of land across the street and next to George's other tract. George was a minister of the Brethren in Christ Church. The church was located on Robert's farm and George set aside this plot on his farm for a church cemetery. Over time the church relocated to a nearby town and then became a different denomination. At some point the cemetery was handed over to the township to take care of. But the various landowners actually own the cemetery. When the township decided there were no living local relations, they turned the care back to the owner. That's why it's considered abandoned. When we purchased the 40 acres, it was very overgrown. Our lawyer said we could do anything (or nothing) we wanted, including dozing it and building our house there. Although, he didn't recommend it. We were like, "No way! They made a movie about that sort of thing and we're not going there!" He laughed. So, it's my job to take care of it.

The first known grave is 1855. The last was 1900. The youngest was a baby girl, one day. The oldest was a lady that lived 90y 11m 28d. There are 41 tombstones.

I have lots of pics so this may take a few posts.

[attachment 357260 cemetery1.jpg] [attachment 357261 cemetery2.jpg] [attachment 357262 cemetery3.jpg] [attachment 357263 cemetery4.jpg] [attachment 357264 cemetery14.jpg] [attachment 357265 cemetery15.jpg]

This last one has had the "recently been buried" look since before we bought the property. I don't know why the grass won't grow there. That is a foot stone for the grave in front of it.

I was told that traditionally the children would have lambs or doves and the adults would have Bible or praying hands. If they could afford it. This cemetery has a few lambs, two Bibles, and one with praying hands. Most have only inscriptions.

Bibles
[attachment 357266 cemetery5.jpg] [attachment 357267 cemetery6.jpg]

Praying hands
[attachment 357268 cemetery7.jpg]

Lamb
[attachment 357269 cemetery8.jpg]

Some have been repaired by others and some need repaired. I lifted and straightened some of the little ones as best I could.

[attachment 357270 cemetery9.jpg] [attachment 357271 cemetery10.jpg] [attachment 357272 cemetery11.jpg] [attachment 357273 cemetery12.jpg] [attachment 357274 cemetery13.jpg]

I just showed a lady who helps her father care for a small town cemetery. She has informed me that I probably wouldn't be able to repair those broken ones because they are so weathered.

We had a couple ladies stop by once who were researching their ancestors. I gave them a tour. Then, last year we came home one weekend to find a post-it stuck to our door from someone else and they left their phone number. My husband called them back and sometime this fall we are having a sort of family reunion of people coming to visit this cemetery. They will be coming from east coast, west coast and all points in between. Supposed to be about 20+.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL.:crazy:

A good read indeed!

Thanks for all the pics & research you can pass on. I've come across a few "abandoned" ones over the years, fun to try & read.

As for the bottles, they sure are fun to find. My wife & I have dug lots of them in the past - mostly along old abandoned railroad stops.
Steve in so la

Thanks Sis Digger, for the story & pics of the old cemetery--My cousin had a new tombstone (keeping the old one ) made for our common ancestors of all our cousin's chipping in & helping pay for it , we have a group on FB--Will try & show a photo of the cemetery & tombstones in a post that might give others ideas how to preserve the old stones with the new!

My grandma's cemetery only has 4 graves, as the ground was like rock & one end of her casket is only a few feet down--it is in the woods beside the road & my sister has been making sure that it is taken care of now since everyone else isn't near to help! I am unable to do anything but someone living close has kept it up now & then! Someday it will go by the wayside & to ruin when all our families have deceased!

There are small cemeteries upon the hill along the country road that runs by the farm where I was raised--one is my cousin's stepdad's family & her mother (my aunt) & brother & my step grandpa who was married to my grandma, who is one of the graves (4) & buried near where her log cabin used to be! The cemetery still being used is across the road from the upper field on the farm where mom found most of her rocks & arrowheads!

Writing this makes me sad because I sold in the auction my bottles & Etc & her big coral & shells from FL & various rocks, I was so ill before & on the day of the auction that the auctioneers took advantage of me & had lied to my sister & me! Sure makes my heart ache but gotta let it go & put everything in the past & go on with my life!

Gotta go & take a shower with my sister's help! Sis Ma

That is a very good thing you are doing. I would hope someone would take care of my grave when I am gone. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was just sort of introducing myself. You know, like how I got started in hunting. I did forget to mention the metal detecting part. This should give you all a little laugh.

I got a Tecknetics Delta 4000 for Christmas three Christmases ago. That spring I took it out with my grandson and we stomped all over this farm. I would get a signal and he would start digging. We found nothing. I didn't even know what a pin pointer was. All we had was the detector. Beep after beep, acre after acre, nothing! When we got to the furthest corner of the farm, I finally figured out that my steel toe boots were setting it off! :rage: My grandson was not amused. He ditched me and went back to the house and to fishing. On the way back I kept swinging and did manage to find a :pulltab:. I put the Delta up and didn't touch it again until last year when someone encouraged me to get back out there. Um, I don't wear my steel toe boots anymore! :rofl:

That is funny but I can’t laugh much because I did the same thing one time. I couldn’t figure out why it kept beeping. And then I realized the beeps had a pattern. That’s when it hit me and boy did I feel silly.

[attachment 357363 metaldetectingmeme.jpeg]

Yes, when first detecting we all make mistakes & ,hopefully learn by them! One lesson is to be patient & use persistence in swingin' low & slow & filling & covering holes that you dig less noticeable in parks & well groomed lawns with permission! Never had a pin pointer but used a screwdriver or dulled down ice pick! Hope hunting is good for you, Travis & everyone this year! God Bless! Ma

If you ever need detecting supplies let me know. I always have stuff on hand.

I was going to wait for warmer weather, but...
I'm guessing from your pics of the show, you're a distributor/vendor?
I would like to get wired headset for AT Max. I have big ambitions of going underwater this year. Would you have those?

Actually I am not a dealer. I usually have quite a few new and used detector items on hand. I always help my friend at the bottle show run his booth. He is a Christian man so I send people his way for business, unless it's something I have. I will send you a private message.

Nobody on this forum, but others I've been on....I make sure to tell them there are laws protecting graves from this kind of thing....WITHOUT AN EXCEPTION, they start blathering about "all the great finds to be made there".....What ever happened to 'respect'????Would they want their loved ones' graves disturbed, because someone thought there's goodies to be found???...these cretins with metal detectors, make the rest of us look like a bunch of grave robbers and thieves........:sad:

I don’t detect the cemetery. No worries there, warthog. But it supposedly was vandalized some time ago and I know some hunters hunted from it because I found shotgun shells. I’m trying to keep it clean and repair what I can just like you said, out of respect. :thumbup: