Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some more from under the slabs

ElginTim

Got a nice 1889 seated dime the other day, and IH's 1868 and 1893 yesterday at the ongoing sidewalk work. So far I'm up to 6 IH's and about a dozen wheats some clad and waiting for more slabs to rise tomorrow. Using the 5" dd on the F70, it's a game changer. Four of us out today, two ETracs (one stock coil one 6" Xcel), one V3 (6X9 elliptical) and my F70. Got that Camay soap cake token last week at another site.

Seated read good, 78-80 4" deep in clay/sand bed under an old root. IH's yesterday came out of cinder/coke bed and read low 50's an inch or two apart. Scored most of the easy kills earlier in the week with the CZ-20(1916 buff, wheaties, several other IH's and clad) went to the F70 for cleanup duty.

n/t

Saw an area being dug up and slabs removed.. Well guess what..All were small stoned, and packed, areas under the sidewalks that were down. Must have been newer sidewalks that were not original pours... NOthing was located for about 1,500 feet..

What great finds Tim. Thanks for the F70 posting. Don't see much on the F70 and I think people think that the F70 isn't much of a machine??? They are missing out on a fantastic, versatile machine.
I like Elton, went when the city was digging up sidewalks and asked the city worker if I could detect. He gave me permission and to town I went. I must of found a bushel basket full of rusty bolts, nuts, wire, iron rods, pipe, tree roots. Not one coin, not one... :cry: The Good Sidewalk Fairy must be looking out for you because those are some great finds. Good work.... Happy Trails....Z

Sorry Elton, but you gotta get to the oldest, nastiest part of town when they're tearing it up to get the goodies! And oh yeah, this may turn out to be the light stuff. When the landscapers get there and shave the parkways we expect silver fountains. This particular several-block stretch was a parade route adjoining a fairgrounds from the late 1840's to the 1870's.

Today I'm hunting by proxy, couldn't get to it but the slabs are coming up on a block dead center in what were the fairgrounds then so I've advised a couple other guys to hit it hard, as soon as the slabs get pulled.

Hey Zee, I usually have to tell the city guys to get out of the way. It's the site boss who has the say there and he says I'm good as long as I stay out of the way. Yesterday we had an angry looking man on the phone glaring out the window at us, cops rolled by, slowed down, waved and moved on. Another lady thought it was cool for us to be looking for oldies there and invited us to hunt her 100+ year old front yard. We did but apparently landscaping had cleared the easy pickings there so just pulled clad out of it.

Read for years about the great Sidewalk finds.. maybe one day ??

even just hunting the old sidewalk easements will allow ya to score some nice stuff!
as you mentioned, make sure you" wack" the older areas preferably with cracked walks from tree roots
surrounded by "old" homes!..good thing is,local cops leave ya alone!..use a small coil and go for it!..

(h.h!)
j.t.

Just found out that my "City" just returned ownership of all curb lawns to property owners.. A friend was detecting a few and had the police called on him..

He was not arrested.... Just advised. Upon checking it out through his city councilman ..Yep....It's been given back to home owners.

Reason..Sewer lines are being tree invaded (Roots)........Gas lines are getting older, Water lines and drain run off lines are being root invaded... City didn't want to pay for replacements.so "Merry Christmas" home owners..Your property line just increased. City even sent out a post card type printing with drawing showing what you now own.I Got it last week.. Oh, and with mention "replacement pipes are now your responsibility" to repair or replace if they go bad and are on the curb lawn.... You now own to the street in my city.... So you guys better check your city............ another closed area to hunt without permission to a lot of us.. We used to own to where the sidewalk ended.........and curb lawn started.

Nice finds, I LIKE that seated dime!!

I've never had luck at sidewalk demos, but don't see too many out here.

Keep the goodies coming :thumbup:

terrific!..can't catch a break on this one!..also get a "new" property tax bill too!
fortunately this hasn't happened "yet" around here!..(hot damn!)

(h.h.)
j.t.