Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some MX Sport observations and air test's?

Des D

The following was seen today on a variety of metal targets:

Prospecting Mode

A dime sized gold coin at Full Boost Sensitivity 10 - air depth of 7.50”

A one inch meteorite at Full Boost Sensitivity 10 - air depth of 4” but gave approximately 50/50 audio of iron & non iron - It was worse in All Metal @ 3"
Searching for meteorites probably won’t be the MX’s forte like other machines from White’s

Coin & Jewelry Factory Preset settings and Full Sensitivity

1961 US quarter read a dig signal @ 9” - after that a complete drop out of audio - Target ID 85

1944 Mercury dime @ 8” and same as above an abrupt audio cessation after hitting at eight inches - Target ID 20

1901 V nickel @ 8” - Target ID 18
1908 V nickel @ 10” - Target ID 20

1920 wheat penny @ 8” - Target ID 71
1953 wheat penny @ 9” - Target ID 74

Small gold coin 1cm diameter @ almost 5” fast sweep required - Target ID 2 and 4

Gold rings Target ID’s

Small & thin with stones 9ct engagement Target ID 8
Mens Class ring “Butler High 1925” with two different golds in it Target ID 30
Mens 9ct with intaglio stone weighing 1grm Target ID’s of 62, 65 and 67 - depending on angle of the ring in the hand meaning ID will also depend on how a ring lays in the soil
Mens two gold mix ring large Target ID’s of 42 and 45
Mens 14Kt nugget ring with diamonds on top Target ID 22 (read as Nickel on display)

Ring pulls and pull tabs

Full old ring pull read to 9” Target ID 26
Round part of old ring pull Target ID 14
Modern gold pull tab oval shape Target ID 22
Square aluminum color pull tab Target ID 20
Square gold color aluminum pull tab Target ID 20
A second square aluminum color pull tab Target ID 20
Aluminum mouth hole piece round Target ID 18

(NB MX display states Pulltab @ 30)

Euro coins

2 euro coin Target ID’s of 40 and 42
20c euro coin Target ID 62
10c euro coin Target ID 52

NB In 8 Tone settings all 3 coins gave different tones: in 20 Tone setting just 2 tones from all three coins

NB Coin & Jewelry Preset ‘accepts’ copper Euro coins and the audio can only be described as ‘ a trumpet fanfare’

UK Coins

£2 coin Target ID 70 (high tone)
£1 coin Target ID 70 (a slightly lower tone than the £2 in 20 Tone)

50p Target ID 26
20p Target ID 28
10p Target ID 22

NB A slight variation in tone in 20 Tone but in 8 Tone all three coins sound the same

Hammered coin

A small silver penny of Elizabeth c 1500 Target ID 26

(NB MX display says Pulltab)

As to the detector, be wary when connecting the coil as the pins are very thin.
The same would apply to the headphone socket. There's an extra cable in the box to enable use of a non-waterproof headphone: the arrangement can be seen in the photos.

There are no Accessory Coils detailed in the Instruction Manual: however the topic of Coils is discussed hinting "small coils are preferable?"

There are some [ On Screen Wordings / Descriptions that appear on screen but an explanation for them is nowhere to be found in the Instruction Manual. For example. 'wrap' ' hotrock' and others.

It's a nice well-built solid machine and assembly was easy but there was a bit of [ coil washer stretching ] on one side that made it that bit harder to thread the bolt thru.
The camlocks and the metal pins that enable height adjustment were also a bit tight (one locked up) but take it easy and they will loosen up and allow assembly.
The battery locking end cap and detector body each have a line that 'line up' when you've tightened it sufficiently.

Hoping to have a video up showing it in heavy iron by tomorrow night (Saturday) and then onto the beach after that.
I can tell you for nothing that "I'm MX'cited"

Hi Des, Did you have any useful hints of modulation, you mentioned an 'abrupt' audio drop off.

I like a modulated audio that does a fade out on the edge of depth.

"Nope! Didn't go into any drilling down of the Options with only Tones changed.
There's a lot in this machine!
But it's "Intuitive" enough.
Essentially today I wanted to see if the Preset Programs were "better" than what was offered in the V3
They are!'

Des D said:
"Nope! Didn't go into any drilling down of the Options with only Tones changed.
There's a lot in this machine!
But it's "Intuitive" enough.
Essentially today I wanted to see if the Preset Programs were "better" than what was offered in the V3
They are!'

Des....

Maybe you did not understand my inquiry, just asked if the target signals had modulation was all.

"Hello Randy (Hombre)

I just did a Test for you.

Yes. There is. It's either 00 or 01 so an On or an Off.

And, it's very distinct. As the target is drawn away the response also drops proportionally...it's very effective..even testing indoors.
Speaking of which, all sorts of appliances on, TV, phones etc etc and not a smidgin of EMI...

I'd also like to point out an Error in my 1st post
Re: 1944 Mercury dime Target ID should read 75 (and not 20 - that had been from a nickel and I noted that incorrectly)

My apology for any confusion on the dime.

Des D

OK Des...

Thanks for that, I'm sure you will get all kinds of questions and I'm bowing out since I have no plans on buying one at this time.

My reason for not taking the hook, so to speak...... is the lack of a small coil for iron nail infested areas.

Regards........Randy

Thanks Des! I ordered one, but it is not here yet. Very excited to get it. Have had numerous Whites and really like them.

greenmeanie said:
Going to be weird getting used to nickles/gold hitting deeper then Silver lol.

"I've witnessed the same air test result on the Racer 2
That's [ some nickels ] getting better air depth than silver.
Will it actually happen in ground? I can't say?
Density is important to detection. I'm certain if you measured the 'thickness' of a nickel and a quarter, the nickel might have the highest density?

But, I'll know more the next few days as I get to test both and I'm certainly interested in seeing what occurs?

What I can say is, I noticed a positive [ anomaly ] with the New Vaquero w/ RSD 11" coil compared to years of air test expectations.
Just recently I noted other [ anomalies ] on a very basic detector compared to what { I had been expecting? }

So, are [modern] components "unwittingly" bringing about "unexpected performance benefit anomalies" and bringing about a re-think on [ what we thought we knew? ]

Watch this space is all I can tell you?

Re: small coil absent from accessory line up?
Maybe "White's are waiting for our MX Sport use experience" to dictate what small coil size / shape will do it 'extra' justice?

Des D

Des ......Re: small coil absent from accessory line up?

Yup, that would be numero uno in my book to come up with, a waterproof small concentric coil like the 5.3 Eclipse.

"I developed quite a few of Minelab's small coils for their FBS and V Flex systems and prefer small coils to big ones.

I'd [ without even using ] the standard 10" x 10" MX coil would suggest an Elliptical, 7.5" x 5.5" (better in rocks both inland and water)"

When i can i will take my MX out to the beach but a small issue to sort first. And a big one too ! the beach is all built up :(

When i picked my machine up i checked out the display machine and noticed the machine lost targets after the a target got to the best i could do , it would just disappear outright.
I will have to get used to it but being a minelab user makes that difficult.

"I think your statement is what Hombre asked?
You were "expecting" a normal air test response!

Unless you go into Options and turn on "Audio Modulation" then what you're expecting to happen won't happen.

It's a Menu selected Option
00 Off
01 On

It varies from mode to mode ( not an option in some Programs)

I will do that when i can Des.

desd said:
I just did a Test for you.

Yes. There is. It's either 00 or 01 so an On or an Off.

And, it's very distinct. As the target is drawn away the response also drops proportionally...it's very effective..even testing indoors.
How distinct? On mine it seems the volume doesn't actually change just the way the tone sounds off.

I never got out of coin & jewelry program today, but the separation between targets is outstanding. Hombre you do have a point, a small coil will be killer on this detector. You'll be able to spend an hour and never move more than a couple of feet in trashy areas. Even with the stock coil I was getting targets closer together than any detector I've ever used. The reject volume is really nice rather than having the threshold null out. Going to take me a while to figure out the sweep speed in the different programs for sure.

Finds in the picture were all in one hour at an old school site now a park.