Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some observations of equinox coils on Xterra Pro

bigtim1973

This is not a test between units but more of a comparison between the xterra stock coil vs the equinox coils running on the new xterra pro.

I do not know if there is any difference between the previous generation equinox coils verse the 2nd generation of eq coils.

However the new eq coils are more robust compared to the older eq coils.

There may be some more windings and or tuning differences between the equinox coils due to the newer processors and internal filtering on the new equinox series compared to the old ones.

Today I took and did some more tinkering around with the xterra pro.

I have recently purchased a new eq900.

I thought both stock coils would interchange between the xterra and equinox but they will not.

Maybe some of you knew this but I did not. I have not done any research on the minelab website to look into this before I tried.

The Xterra coil will not work on the equinox.....kind of a bummer to me because I like the shape and size of that coil and was wondering if it had something to do with the characteristic of the xterra pro coil and thought the eq900 would be able to hold target ID better or bounce around like the xterra does.

However, with an 11 inch coil from my eq900 the xterra pro will settle down from the bouncing ID numbers a lot better.

Also, I took and put the 6 inch coil on the xterra and it does hit my 8 inch nickle in my test bed but still no correct ID. It up averages the signal. Which is no big deal to me.

With the same small coil in my eq900 it does ID that nickle correctly.

So with that being said, the numbers bouncing on the xterra pro has more to do with different processor speeds and or the electronic filtering/discrimination itself internally on the xterra pro.

With the xterra and the 6 inch coil, it picks out that dime on edge very good.

Due to the nails around that target it again will not ID correctly.

The eq900 will pick it out better and give a correct ID about 20% of the time with averaging numbers higher than the xterra will.

Now with some of you this may not be a big deal with the better ID on targets, especially if you are an old school detector user who goes by tone more than numerical target ID.

This little Xterra Pro is a little go getter in its stock configuration as long as you do not get overwhelmed by the bouncing numbers.

You must go by tones more on it especially in trashy iron infested areas.

However if you have an extra stock 11 inch coil for an equinox and put it on your xterra, you will have better target stability.

I personally like the best of both worlds and the more info on a target when you only have limited time to cherry pick targets, it does make a difference.

Interesting observations. :thumbup:
I have a Coiltek NOX15 coil coming next week, so I'll add to this thread once I've had a chance to play with it a little.

Personally, I'm one of the "old school" guys that hunts primarily by tones, but if I see a distinct improvement in TID stability I'll be sure to mention that.

The X-TERRA PRO offers its own V8X/V10X/V12X Coils but is also compatible with our EQUINOX Series coils.

However, EQUINOX Series detectors are not compatible with X-TERRA PRO Coils.

Also, I took and put the 6 inch coil on the xterra and it does hit my 8 inch nickle in my test bed but still no correct ID. It up averages the signal. Which is no big deal to me.

With the same small coil in my eq900 it does ID that nickle correctly.
Will the 900 ID that nickle in single freq?

I had to go back and take another look at the single freq and no.......it will up average the signal on the nickle in single freq with the eq900. 4,5 and 10 freq will sound off on it but the numbers are all over the place.

15, 20 and 40 pulls the signal down lower to the nickle range with 20 and 40 being the best freq on that target at depth.

The multi pulls it through.

So all in all the xterra pro seems to be in at least the same ballpark while using the same frequencies on the same target at depth.

I got out a little with the XT-Pro and the Coiltek NOX15 coil over the weekend, and I have a few observations to report.

First, the 15" coil does seem to run deeper than the stock coil....no real surprise.
Second, the Coiltek coil for the Equinox doesn't seem to tame the TID much if any at all. Running the SENS lower does quiet things down and level them out, but you'll pay at least a small price in terms of depth.
Third, 5kHz is noticeably more susceptible to EMI than the other choices. Frequent Noise Cancelling has an effect, but sometimes you just have to lower the SENS a bit more to quiet it down.
Fourth, the frequency you choose has a lot to do with TID numbers and stability depending on whether the target is a high or low conductor.*

* Things like rusty bottlecaps in 5kHz will sound off like high conductors, but if you change to 15kHz and sweep over the target again the TID will drop 20-30 points depending on its condition, depth, and orientation, and it will stabilize a bit better. These results are similar with wads of foil and some canslaw.

This testing was done at a couple of local parks that have been hunted hard for decades. Finding anything good is rare, but I did pull a bunch of 60's copper memorials (one '59) and one silver plated ring hunting in 5kHz. Zincolns and pulltabs are easy to avoid if you're strictly coin-shooting. Nickles in 5kHz are tricky but doable. I dug one, and it was because it sounded like a coin that just had a low tone.

Over the next few weeks I plan to investigate 10 & 15kHz performance as well as 8kHz Beach mode on dry land.

Well I thought about that coil and also the 14x8 one too. It seems maybe the regular 11 inch eq coil may be the route I take because it did seem to tame the bouncing numbers down on mine.

I have only tried the 11 inch stock eq900 coil and the coil I would shoot for is the first generation 11 inch eq coil.

I am hoping to find a good used one but in the back of my mind I am wondering if it would be the same as the 2nd generation eq coil that I have tried in mine.

This has nothing to do with this today... this second... My wife has created a new list of things to break off In me... because I took the dunk.... My XT-Pro From Big Boy Hobbies is on it's way... So I will be paying close attention in the coming weeks... and hoping to learn as much as I can... I have never owned a minelab anything... This is nothing for you guys.... This is a big leap for me.... I may be heading for my 4th divorce.... :heh:

This has nothing to do with this today... this second... My wife has created a new list of things to break off In me... because I took the dunk.... My XT-Pro From Big Boy Hobbies is on it's way... So I will be paying close attention in the coming weeks... and hoping to learn as much as I can... I have never owned a minelab anything... This is nothing for you guys.... This is a big leap for me.... I may be heading for my 4th divorce.... :heh:
Don't feel too bad because over time they will become numb to your interest in the hobby!!!!

It showed up... I wanna play with it... but... If my old detector club meets for lunch this month... Most of the handful left don't get out anymore... a few of em have Minelab's... so I thought it would be neat to let them pop it out of the box.... and tell me what to do with it... MEANWHILE: My wife has already told me what to do with it... Where to put it... And How Far... Because she's Italian... There were very expressive hand gestures involved... So there's that... :nono:

Attachments

• x1.JPG
    x1.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 97
  • x2.JPG
    x2.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 75
  • x3.JPG
    x3.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 73
  • x4.JPG
    x4.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 73
Maybe I'm crazy, but 1 thing I have noticed using the equinox 6" smart coil on the new X-terra Pro. It seems the 6" Nox coil draws or uses more battery power over the X-terra Pro V12X coil. I've noticed the 6" Nox coil drops my detector 1battery bar on a 4hour hunt, my V12X coil at 4 hours is still at full battery status.

Maybe I'm crazy, but 1 thing I have noticed using the equinox 6" smart coil on the new X-terra Pro. It seems the 6" Nox coil draws or uses more battery power over the X-terra Pro V12X coil. I've noticed the 6" Nox coil drops my detector 1battery bar on a 4hour hunt, my V12X coil at 4 hours is still at full battery status.
That is something that never gave a thought to, so I didn't pay any attention to it. I will now, and I'll mention it if I see the same.
Thanks for that observation!

That is something that never gave a thought to, so I didn't pay any attention to it. I will now, and I'll mention it if I see the same.
Thanks for that observation!
Granted I only got about 20hrs on the new X-Terra Pro, but I've had 4 hunts that were about 4 hours each outing. 2 hunts were with the V12X coil, & 2 hunts were with the EQX06 6" equinox coil, at 4 hours of using the 6" Nox coil I would lose 1 battery bar on XT-PRO.

Patience is a virtue..... Patience is a virtue..... I now have in hand a used EQX06 6" equinox coil... So I can follow along.... I'm chomping at the bit... But I really want to let the guys in my club have the 1st once over.... I feel like a kid... and there's 10 more days to Christmas.... And I'm just gonna die... Lol....:clapping:
eqx06a.jpg
eqx06b.jpg

Patience is a virtue..... Patience is a virtue..... I now have in hand a used EQX06 6" equinox coil... So I can follow along.... I'm chomping at the bit... But I really want to let the guys in my club have the 1st once over.... I feel like a kid... and there's 10 more days to Christmas.... And I'm just gonna die... Lol....:clapping: View attachment 40602View attachment 40603
I think you will like having a 6" EQX06 in your arsenal of tools for the XT-PRO. I seem to use it more than the factory V12X coil now. Congrats on the new coil!