Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some of this...Some of that...

REVIER

Big park, 3 different areas hunted today.
First an area where I saw families camping in tents last weekend.
Already found some clad and a silver ring here, today I found 2 sets of keys and one key is cool.
A Buick tri color silhouette key with a little red, white and blue enamel still left on the shields.
Pretty sure this particular one fit a black 1965 Buick Wildcat 2 door sport coupe with the standard 325-hp, 401-cid, nailhead V-8.
My key, my story and sticking to it.
Prove me wrong.
Found some hemostats on top of the ground next to a lake at site 2.
Some fisherman left his hook extractor behind.

Site 3 was an area where once stood an old house just outside the park.
Now it is inside the park but loaded to death with iron, steel, nails, screws bolts and a whole bunch of other trash, but there is some cool stuff from the home and the home owners hanging around if you can find it.
Tried something a little different with the F70 today and the standard elliptical at this trash heap.
Everything was a little bouncy all day, bone dry soil might have had something to do with it, but I usually hunt in disc at sites really low on the iron setting to hear iron and those million iron grunts were getting to me after awhile so I did something crazy and switched to program 2 which is full bore and blown out.
All metal, SL speed, sense on 99 and thresh at 9.
Can't get any hotter, but even though I still got all that iron hitting me and everything else it was just one tone with a bit of modulation and that was better for my ears today.
I just went real slow and watched for any numbers I could get to stay that weren't down in iron.
Even those jumped all over the place because of all the huge amount of everything here, but I got a few higher numbers and dug those
An old frosted glass cabinet pull, a big piece of iron from a stove or something, a crushed oil lamp burner, and a winding thingy from an old alarm clock, I think.
A thick brass or copper plate is neat, from a kids toy I am sure but what kind...no idea.
The coolest thing was this old insurance emblem that you mounted on your car somewhere back in the day.
Where I have no idea...maybe the bumper?
It is big and weighs about 2.5 ounces.
I have no idea who this insurance company was or when they were around, never heard of them...and I grew up in Detroit.
Still has a little red and blue enamel left on this thing, too, and I think this thing has been in the ground a long time.

The key and the emblem go in the display cabinet.
I had a decent day.

Great report on how you hunt a park and your 'thinking' of an area and set up on it...:clapping: nice finds...I grew up in Detroit in the mid 60's early 70's..
Mud

I really like the insurance badge/emblem. I wonder how much that's worth?

Goldstrike said:
I really like the insurance badge/emblem. I wonder how much that's worth?

No idea, in great shape probably something.
2 different guys have just alerted me that the big iron thing seems to be some sort of big padlock or door insert lock.
No need to lock a stove I would think...more research ahead.

Ok that iron thing...Nailed it!

This iron piece is an antique victorian vertical rim lock.
Might be from the Norwalk Lock Co in Connecticut.. This company started in 1851 and manufactured and patented locks like these, along with several other companies, mostly in the mid 1860's.

These were in common use from the mid 1860's up through about 1900...maybe a bit longer up to 1910.
I believe at that time more modern lock sets started to become more popular.
I saw many antique sets for sale just like this and most of them were marked manufactured between 1865 and 1880.

You know all those skeleton keys we are always hot to find?
This is the exact mechanism that those keys fit into and operated.
One of the main ones, anyway.

Not a stove part, this probably fit on the front door of the house if not the rear.

As I said...way, way cool!

Now the search is on to find the key that fit this lock.

REVIERE, you're right on with the door lock, my grandparents had them on their doors (both inside & outside the house) when I was a young boy. The picture on the right was the kind they had, their house was built in the late 1800's, brings back some fond memories. Thanks for taking the time to share. HH