Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some Questions about Tesoro Detectors

Dick from IA

I've been MDing for a year, mainly a coin hunter with a Garrett Ace 250 & Titan 2000XD. Over the winter I got bit by the "Relics Bug" and now that is what I do mostly. I've been researching relics detectors and am convinced that Tesoro is the way I should go; most likely the Vaquero.

Here are my "hang ups": Having used detectors with Target ID and Depth, it seems a bit spooky using a detector with no information on a monitor. Plus some have told me:nono: if you don't have VDI, you'll never get the best finds.

Can anyone help me "over the hump" on this one? I'm sure others have posed this question before, so now I'm the latest:wacko:.

Looking forward to answers from all you Tesoro experts. Thanks.

If someone is telling you the only way to get goodies, is to have it show up on a display!?!?!?!?!? I've used both, and it is nice to have the VDI, but it can be a serious crutch! If your digging for relics, you are probably gonna want to be digging most every good tone, 'cause you never know what is lying under the ground until you dig it. Go for it Dick! You wont regret it!

J.

If I were using VDI, I may not have dug this target, as it was certainly in the pulltab range....Its a chinese coin from the 1700's
[attachment 28268 chinese2.jpg]

Hey Dick,

I agree with rentasquid. I would prefer a relic machine to be non-metered unless it has a specific relic mode with relic readout. Especially if you are a coin hunter. You get in the mode to not dig the trash signals and do it without even realizing you are. If I were to relic hunt with a metered machine. I would do my best to ignore the meter. And, I completely disagree with the comment that you will never get the best finds without a meter. For two reasons, 1 I know of no machine that the meter is 100% accurate to the depths you are going to find some relics. Most are only accurate to to about 6-8 inches. And 2, there is only a hand full of machines that will even display relic information. Most of which being the numeric displays. Which in most cases. When relic hunting you are looking for such a large array of items. You would never even know when you have an item worthy of digging or not. I would definitely go with one of the Tesoro machines. If you think about it. There is no machine that was designed specifically for relic hunting that even has a meter. That should tell you something.

Hello again Dick.....Mike said it very well! Those of us who have been detecting for years and years (and we know who we are; usually the ones with sore knees and elbows), and who relic hunt primarily, will all agree: meters and target ID's are OK for confirmation of what the primary detecting decision makers (our ears and mind) tell us. However, I have personally seen friends and some customers pass over a very good relic find because they have given over the decision "to dig or not to dig" to the target ID meter on their machine. The picture below of my best find ever, a Washington Inaugral Button (one of only 9 known to exist) was found in the footsteps of another hunter with us that day, using a target ID machine (green in color). My Tesoro gave me a solid, repeatable, but soft hit, and at nine inches, out came this beauty. Learn to use your ears first, and your eyes second....learn the audio language of your detector....you'll be so glad you did!

[quote Dick from IA] Having used detectors with Target ID and Depth, it seems a bit spooky using a detector with no information on a monitor. Can anyone help me "over the hump" on this one? quote]

I've been into this hobby off and on since 1968. Today I almost exclusively relic hunt. And I do my relic hunting in the most unlikely state...Michigan. But I guess I do okay. See the photo of the items I found this morning. It's an Iron knife and grape shot or small canon ball dug on private property near where an Indian village once stood. They're both on their way to be checked by an expert.

Anyway, I'm saying I've been into this for a bit.

Today I use the Tesoro DeLeon and I love it. It would take much too much space here to explain why I like it so much. Maybe I'll just sum it up by saying it finds stuff...LOTS of mighty good stuff.

Here's how I hunt:

1. Sound quality
2. Size of target
3. See where object tunes out in discrimination
4. Check TID

In my hunting, No.1 is crucial. Sound rules everything. Numbers 2-4 are all optional. It depends on what I'm after and how pooped I am at the time.

We could say sound is like the gas in the tank--size--discrimination--and TID are like chrome and bumper stickers.

Does this help you?

You are dead on Zeb! I have been hunting since 1968 as well......for those who haven't heard yet.....SOUND-SOUND-SOUND.....in that order! :super::tesoro::poke:

..to everyone who has responded already to my questions; I have learned a lot and know the info I'm getting here will help in determining which Tesoro detector I'll choose.

I'll be gone now for a week or so on an RV trip, so please don't think I've bailed out on the Tesoro's. I'll catch up when I return or maybe I'll find a computer to access while on our trip.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer my inquiry.

:tesoro: is it; just a matter of choosing the right one:look:

Some of the newer Tesoro detectors go deeper than ever with lightweight designs and for relics don't need an ID unit. Might make a difference if you were a coin shooter and then you would miss lots of good coins that come in oddball areas on meters..After a while audio variances which Tesoro's have along with time in the field you should excell...

I had some of my best luck with my old tesero golden sabre. I didn't need a meter and could tell 75% of the time what was in the ground. It rang out nice on silver with a warm tone. Then I started buying all the expensive detectors and jumping brands and never had as much luck as I did with the tesero. But then again I used the tesero for the longest amount of time and really learned what it was telling me.

They may not have all the bells and whistles but I am convinced they work.

You are absolutely right about that, they do work, and what you just described about listening to the sound, is more than 75% of successful detecting. Listen first...look at the meter second or third.:thumbup:

I recently got the TEJON,it is fast, solid, and deep. Yes I have screen machines and they are great on a lazy days hunt, but like the others say, the Tejon seems to find stuff when the others don't.
Can't go wrong with a Tesoro in my oinion.