Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some questions and comments on the 505

Musketeer

I got the Pioneer 505 as one of the "cheepies" from Kellyco when I bought the Infinium.

I got it so the two girls who have started hunting with me, using their dad's Whites, will each have their own machine.

I got the 505 because some of the other cheap units got various bad reviews, mainly being flimsy and easily broken.

The 505 is definately cheap plastic. The batteries are held in foam cutouts!!!

The coils look like they have built-in skid plates. A heavier material seems to have been added to the bottom for protection. Is this correct?

This morning I checked my collection of trash and treasure. I have some rusty iron, gold rings, (2 I didn't realize were gold until they indicate same as a gold ring), various pieces of aluminum, some combined metals (pc of aluminum conduit with copper wires), some zinc, a hot rock, silver coins, some Canadian coins, some brass and costume jewelry.

This el cheapo detector was right on it's identification about the same as the GTI 2500.

Testing in air with the 8 in. coil, in the all metal Disc. setting, Sensitivity 100 per cent.

It detected in air from 4 in. to 12 in. on most objects. The smaller stuff had to be closer. The owner's manual says the depth indicator is only correct for coins, but it was right on a goodly portion of the other stuff. It also says to check coins flat, but all the silver coins identified correctly, no matter which way I held them. Some stuff made low tones at the coil edges, with higher tones in the center of the coil.

It identified various sizes of nails as iron, no matter which way the nails were held, with no bouncing.

I tried to check it in the All Metal non-motion mode, but I will have to take it outside. It detected a mashed, oxidized Coke can at 3 feet, and picked up other metal objects, digging trowel, my pick, a set of keys, at 2 to 3 feet, so I got to find a place outside with no metal. It handily finds the nails in the floor.

Where are these things made? I can't find any markings on the detector or the coils.

I'm learning how to conduct better tests. And will build a test plot, soon as I can find a neutral piece of ground with no metal.

Oh, and the plastic knob that tightens the plastic shafts, tightens the shafts, and makes a solid shaft.

I wager I will have to buy another one, the girls are going to fight over this one.

Musketeer

I have had my 505 only one week and being retired I have been able to get out with it every day. I am truly amazed by it. Call it a cheapo but it seemed exactly what I was looking for "a good starter unit" for someone with no experience. I am averaging about $1.00 a day and my best finds, other than coin, has been a cooper plumbing joint and an old auto key "Ford". I now have two wheaties already too. I say order that second one for the other young lady. Team hunting is good.

Nice that you have a pleasant surprise. They do hold there own very well. JMO I like the foam cut out for the batteries, makes them easy to change. The units are made by First Texas in El Paso.
HHing

El Paso???? Someone get a rope...lol...Coming from a NYer...I started out on a 202, then a 505...Wish I had never got rid of it, but I like my Land Star too...

HH,

I have had my 505 for about a year and a half. True it does feel like cheap plastic but it is surprisingly tough! I have no complaints nor have I had any problems with mine. I think it is a very good machine for the money.