Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some type of a plug???

Ronstar

Dug two of these this morning on intramural field. About the size of a 50 cent piece, probably brass. Back side is not threaded but the smaller section looks like it fits into something so the larger front would fit flush. They are rather heavy for their size. Any ideas?
A3719CA1-97B5-48E5-BE54-157E31F57548.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E881C08-D91F-4BF2-8B00-3AC6287CA224.jpeg
    8E881C08-D91F-4BF2-8B00-3AC6287CA224.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • 5A96F03E-3ED9-45F6-80A1-B69A8EDB5C18.jpeg
    5A96F03E-3ED9-45F6-80A1-B69A8EDB5C18.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
Say Ronstar, but that looks so familiar, swear I've seen those lying around in a junk drawer somewhere, but can't put a finger on it... wanna say hardware from a Singer sewing machine cabinet but don't think so....

Not sold as a final solution as any examples of them seem to have 3 or 4 holes.... but maybe close.... brass castor plate?

02010700.jpgcas_screwplate_pair.jpg

Dug two of these this morning on intramural field. About the size of a 50 cent piece, probably brass. Back side is not threaded but the smaller section looks like it fits into something so the larger front would fit flush. They are rather heavy for their size. Any ideas?View attachment 6003
Found at intramural field? 2 of them.... from sprinkler heads?

I found an item that looked as best as I can remember just like that. I do see some lettering on it so I would suggest cleaning it up and see if you can get a name off of it. The one I found was made by Ludwig and was a part off a drum frame. I gave it to a drummer guy I know and he knew right off what it was. I looked up on line and it was a pretty old item.

Ron in WV

I tried putting them together thinking maybe I had two halves but that didn’t look right. Two of the holes are counter sunk so thinking a same metal screw fits in flush. Steve, your idea on caster wheel so far is closest! A friend suggested the back plate on a cylindrical lock but I cant find any reference to that either. The fact I found two of the same thing is intriguing.

Just took jewelers loupe and examined both sides, no letters or marks. On what I call the back side (part that looks like it fits into another piece) I can see striations which indicates it may have spun against another piece...... or maybe its casting marks??

Found a picture of the drum stand part that I found.
Drum.jpg

Oh man that is close!!!! There have been band related events out there so maybe....? Good work!! I think I will take this up to the Music Building and see if one of the percussionists can verify.

Floor mounted door stop riser

EMR50007MB.jpg

Drawing is almost dead on......

Yes, so is the design of your find to this sort of function... to recessed into a hardwood or tile floor for a low profile. As well, the utilitarian finish, unlike the drum plate, which looks chromed and was pressed with the Ludwig name... one designed to be seen, the other not noticed.

Is there a school or a public building near the intramural fields?... is the building old enough that the original doors may have been changed in renovations? Are there still original doors in the buildings that you could look at to see if there is a match? Other than the drawing, I have not found an example door stop with a piece that matches yours... but best guess, this is on the right track. Swear I've seen brass fittings like those somewhere, sometime, but still can't put a finger on it.

Sometimes the only thing to do is just toss them in a junk drawer and forget about them and go out and find more goodies. Or... you could always rebury them where you found 'em and let someone else find them again and pound their head a spell puzzling over what they might have been used for. :razz: Bet they gave off a sweet signal in the ground when you found them!

Last edited:
This was found on a university intramural athletic field. It is recorded that an old shanty type housing area was demolished in the late 50s near here to make room for dormitory halls to be built The demolished remnants were scattered on the west end of the field to raise the level up to the east end (last foot was fill dirt and grass seeded). Is this drawing consistent with 50s technology? It makes total sense what you posted but would it be in a student housing type structures? I hope to find out more in the next couple days via Facilities Maintenance.

This was found on a university intramural athletic field. It is recorded that an old shanty type housing area was demolished in the late 50s near here to make room for dormitory halls to be built The demolished remnants were scattered on the west end of the field to raise the level up to the east end (last foot was fill dirt and grass seeded). Is this drawing consistent with 50s technology? It makes total sense what you posted but would it be in a student housing type structures? I hope to find out more in the next couple days via Facilities Maintenance.
Love those old demolition fill sites, a person could make a full time job of it and never be done sifting through all the junk. If you have the patience for it, a place like that will generally reward you for your efforts eventually and give up some amazing stuff. :thumbup:

There is a lot of large metal pieces in there that sound off in the 90’s, PP says 2-4” and I quit at 8” plus!!! Most everything we are allowed to get for depth is within the 4-6” range. I have recovered some silver coins (minor amount) and 925 jewelry but its near surface. Im pretty sure if it could all be dug up there would be some interesting items!!!

Well, its not from a door riser or a drum set so it goes to my to be determined later pile.