Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some weather we're having in Portland, OR

Pretty unusual. We received 8" of snow yesterday. Then today, it snowed and turned to sleet for a while and then snowed some more. Looks like we will have a few more days of the white stuff. Also supposed to get more snow this week. White Christmas here we come....

Sodbuster

Love your pictures and it would be fun to be there for a few hours but to think today I was on the beach with shorts and t shirt bare footed in water up to my waist and it felt good. hehehe:detecting:

Here are some more winter views of the Portland, Oregon metro area that I thought some of you might enjoy.
I am very new to having a nice camera finally. I purchased a used Canon S3-IS this past summer for $225.
I have not really played around too much yet with all the settings.
My digital photography class starts in about a week.

Enjoy,

Doyle

nwdetectorist said:
Here are some more winter views of the Portland, Oregon metro area that I thought some of you might enjoy.
I am very new to having a nice camera finally. I purchased a used Canon S3-IS this past summer for $225.
I have not really played around too much yet with all the settings.
My digital photography class starts in about a week.

Enjoy,

Doyle

Very nice pictures. Good composition. I see you were by the falls near Oregon City. Nice location (if you can get to it with all the snow we had at that time).

But, for everyone outside Portland, the snow is all gone except for a few small patches. The elevations above 1000' might get some snow this week but I would not bet on it staying long at all..

Typical Portland winter weather.

Sodbuster

Thanks for the comments Sodbuster.
I live about 2 blocks from the bluff so I just bundled up in layers and went snow picture shooting.

I liked your doggy and frozen tundra pictures also.

Have a great New Year

Doyle

TOO MUCH DIRT, NOT ENUFF TIME!

Thanks for your comments Sodbuster27 and Tom/Cocoa.

My digital photography class starts tomorrow.

HEY!
Question???

What is the best way to get good pictures of coins and rings, and stuff like that?
This is the main thrust behind my buying a camera.

Got some great piks earlier this year when I just got the camera and went to the Blues Festival here in Portland, OR.
I did not even know how to use the auto-focus:)

Doyle

One of the problems you have with the above subject is the need to get close up. Most cameras will allow you to normally focus from 12" to 3' from a specific subject. A telephoto might get you closer but you still have to be some distance away from the subject.

How to solve? Close up lens or close up filters for your camera lens. You might need to shift to manual focusing with the close up filters as they will bring the subject closer but your camera won't know how to resolve the image using an auto-focus. (Your milage -- based upon camera -- may vary)

The other issue is lighting. If you light it with a lighting ring mounted on your lens, you will get an overall lighted picture with no character/flat lighting. If you can move the light source to the side so you get some shadows, especially on coins so you can see the detail, that is a good thing. You can do this with a daylight balanced bulb (cost much more than a normal incandesant bulb) in a reflector mounting to the side of the coin/ring.

Adding that character to the coin is a good thing. A straight on shot is also nice with the flash/light directly on the coin, but that's not my money shot. :)

Good luck,
Sodbuster

Thanks Sodbuster27,

I can get the wide angle lens for my Canon S3-IS, but I may just try moving to another type of camera by spring or sooner.

Have a great day.

Doyle

P.S. Liked the reference to "your mileage may vary" ala Joe Isuzue:)

Hi there Sodbuster....love the snow scenes.

While I was looking at the pictures I had my Hi Fi on and a Tom Jones CD playing.

A phrase he was singing refers to him courting a girl from Portland Or.

"and we went a-walking, along October hill"

Is there such a hill locally ?

By the way, I'm in England UK, ad we've had no snow so far, but a -6 C frost.

Bought myself a Canon Power-Shot whilst on holiday in Tasmania, Australia.

It's enough for me, with its 20x zoom and 10 M pixels. I'd love one of the big Canon 'beasts', but they are too

much to carry for general snapping.

If all that snow get too much for you, then pack some up in a parcel, and I'll take it off your hands!!!!

My grand-children would go-ape for a few day of that to play in.

We all had a great Christmas here....except there was no snow for Santa's sledge.

Keep warm, and well. Regards to all over there.........TheMarshall

[attachment 115306 MerseyReflectionsA.jpg]

The picture is of the city of Liverpool, taken a couple of days ago by my mate Stu while walking on the opposite shore of the River Mersey.

The camera is the Panasonic 10 meg Pix with 10x zoom. As you may know, Liverpool has just completed its year as the European capital of Culture (And the birth-place of the Beatles)

TheMarshall --

Portland has hills all over (seems like most of the city is on a hillside except for downtown and the east side of the city). So, yes there are a lot of hills like that. For a while there I wish I could have sent you the snow we had. Here in Portland, they don't use road salt because of the environment (although I don't know why, cause they don't have snow plows and the number of snows where you would need the salt is about 1 or 2 times a decade so it wouldn't hurt the environment).

Funniest thing I saw related to snow was about 5 or 6 years ago when a gentleman in the mountains who was tired of the snow put up a really entertaining auction on eBay for the snow. He had a LOT of nice pics showing the snow and the depth. Very entertaining.

Thank you for the kind words. Oh, and we have had rain since then, melting all the snow. For the last week or so, some areas of the NW portion of Oregon has had to worry about flooding. The amount of rain in some areas was 3" in less than 24 hours. Loads of fun, eh?

Have a good one,
Sodbuster