Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Someone please educate me on the benefits of converting to a straight rod on the ATPRO

coincutter

I see quite a few posts saying straight rods are the way to go but never having used one or even touched one so i haven't a clue.
I do know i can build one pretty quickly if need be from some slick expensive aluminum paint poles I picked up years ago.

Like most of you I have bad shoulders neck and back (joys of getting to close to incoming in Vietnam.
I use a modified swingy thingy with shoulder pads belt and dual bungies (looks a lot like the minelab guys use on the new catalog) which still kicks me to the ground after about four hours.

If by switching to the straight rod does it really beat you up less?

I had less problems with my MXT for some reason but the ATPro (new model) seems to tweak a lot of different muscles.

Appreciate any info and would love to see some pictures of successful rigs - already checked the mods section and not much going on there.

It is a great way to relieve pain if you suffer from lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow). Most of the articulation from swinging your coil is directly from your shoulder, instead of elbow movement on a straight rod, as compared to an "S" rod configuration, where you tend to also bend your elbow when swinging the coil towards the opposite side of your body. However, whether you use the straight rod or "S" rod, it is good practice to NOT extend your rod to it's furthest setting, as this tends to put enormous stress on either shoulder or elbow allowing for increased possibility of injuring your ligaments or tendons.

[size=large]the pain isn't always starting in the shoulders. mine starts in the lower back. i can, like you swing my MXT and my XLT much longer than the ATP. and that's too bad cause i wanna learn the ATP. it's very sensitive and doesn't miss much. when swinging the whole body helps. if you got a problem you'll soon find out the head is connected to the toes. it all works together.
Coincutter, thanks for serving.

HH :usmc: [/size]

Once you use one you'll see why everybody loves them. In the water especially, much more control. I have one on one of my ATP's and it's a serviceable model, although the build quality was not as good as I had hoped for. Anderson is supposed to be releasing a version soon and I've used theirs on my Excals, great!! The problem with mounting the ATP and Gold on one is how short the coil cable is, needs about another 2 feet to not put too much strain on everything.

looks like i got to get the torch and rivit gun out
thanks for all the advice
s