Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something I've been fighting since picking up the Exp II (again)

Gary in Daytona

is that there's very little you can do about consistently identifying bottle caps. The spectrum of materials that caps are comprised of nowadays is so varied that you can't consistently tell the difference between a deep, crushed or rusty bottle cap and say, a deep penny. End result - you have to dig them. From my experiences, a cap within the first several inches has a distinctive sounds and will eventually lock in the right area on either the digital or smart screen but you may have to wiggle it a bit. But those others :veryangry: Could the experts offer a tip or two on how to better ID the deep, rusty or crushed caps?

Rusty caps can be identified using Ferrous Sounds. The ones that hit at the lower right of the screen I don't have problems with due to the low ferrous content and low conductivity. I have not found much in that area worth the effort to dig caps there. The ones that hit up near the top of the screen, say in the about 3/28 area, is a problem. I find them all over that area and have no idea how to get past them unless I am willing to pass up coins and some gold rings that hit in that area. Unfortunately some of them have a time constant that falls right in the good range so they sound off loud and clear. They tend to be shallow and give off almost too good of a hit but I am still afraid to pass them up.

Cody/Glenn - This is the same problem I was trying to explain about the nails. Not all nails do this, just a small amount I believe.

Sweeping from several directions and using ferrous sounds will pretty much kill nails. Audio1 is the sounds I use which will ID a little better than Normal so this may be one reason why I am not having any problem with nails. I posted a program at the top that should work where there are nails. I do dig a nail or two but they are almost all eliminated.

you are Cody, especially when they are at depth (over 6") I tried playing with the sounds, but it's equally hard to avoid them in either Conduct or Ferrous. I'm about convinced there IS no way to completely avoid them with a motion detector.
If anyone's interested, there's a short but informative post on how detectors react to bottle caps by George Payne over on the MD Equipment forum.

I Just wiggle it a couple of times and see if it's consistent. Flattened Bottle caps have a tendency to pull to the left and down. where as a coin will go to the right and down or up. Try this you wont believe what your seeing. If you hunt with a variability of 8 versus 10 you can see where the sound Identification is a little easier and the target T.D. Identification is more reliable as well. I credit a friend of mine, Jim Lewis for showing me this. I was left speechless when I saw this. He was right on. So there you have it Hope this helps.

Tom

Actually, bottle caps are probably the only metal target where almost nothing else worth digging ends up in on the Explorer.

They hit far right and bottom on the smart screen. I dont think they've hit anywhere else for me unless they are near other stuff.

Must be the ground. Wer U at?