Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SOMETHING NEW SEA HUNTER MKII ???????????

KevinH

All Sea Hunter Users. I was checking my Sea Hunter due to going to San Diego for Christmas. I could use it here with all the (blank blank) rain we have been getting in the DESERT! (Since last week) Thank god there is no snow. OK enough with the weather. .

Current situation with the Sea Hunter MK II: Purchased the detector in 2003. Purchased with both coils the mono and the 10X14. I was air testing it and checking to see if it was working properly when the following situation was encountered. looking at sending it in to the company just for a check and also the coils.

Power - Four good tones. (Changed batteries twice to ensure they were good)
Threshold - Minimum. Just above silent.
Elimination - Standard (Discrete set to zero)
Discrete Trash Elimination (set to 5)

Well here is the issues. Turn on is good 4 good loud bursts. Air Test with mono coil.
Standard mode: set at zero. Quarter a very null bing, gold ring same. distance approx: 3 inches.
Discrete Trash: set at 4.5, tried lower setting with no change. No change from standard. Distance: 3 inches.
Distance close: 1/2 inch to 1 inch hits well. No depth though.

Turn on is good 4 good loud bursts. Air Test with 10X14 DD coil.
Standard mode: set at zero. Quarter a very null bing, gold ring same. distance approx: 4 inches.
Discrete Trash: set at 4.5, tried lower setting with no change. No change from standard. Distance: 4 inches.
Distance close: 1/2 inch to 1 inch hits well. No depth though.

Bottom line is the tone for the target is very low while air testing. Headphones checked great when adjusting threshold. Plenty of sound. Double checked by increasing threshold limit higher. Still provided same results as noted above. HELP!:sad:.

MMM Doesnt sound right to me. A bing? Its supposed to just have a sound like an all metal mode not like a disc mode. And it should hit that quarter a little further out. Are they new batts? Maybe check a target in the ground also. Very strange.

Maybe time for it to visit Garrett for check up?

Alan

Alan, That is what I am thinking. Send in for a check up. I tried new batteries twice and still the same results. i had to rule out the headphones also. The Bing sounds more like a Dull Bong, both sides, trash and standard. I think it needs a check up.

Here's the video for comparison in case you don't have it.

http://www.garrett.com/media/sea_hunter_instr/seahunter_instr.html

john, I have tried this numerous times. Looks like a canidate to go to the company. I used it allot in Okinawa but it is not performing like it did there. Time for a tune.

Hope so too. Oh well it looks like the 2500 and the Scorp will have some time in San Diego. John, Have you used the scorp on the beach?

KevinH said:
Hope so too. Oh well it looks like the 2500 and the Scorp will have some time in San Diego. John, Have you used the scorp on the beach?

KevinH,

Maybe you could try this for me if you are going to the beach with the Scorpion...

I found this in the old Deepskeer ADS II/III manual :

Salt Water Canceling: Place the panel-mounted Primary Discrimination Mode Selector in the
(downward) TR, yellow position. Press the Master Control switch to the right and release,
with the discrimination control at 0 position. To determine necessary adjustment, lower
searchcoil to the surface of the wet sand, making sure no metallic targets are under the
searchcoil. If the audio level increases, the discrimination control is increased approximately
two numbers clockwise. Press the Master Control switch to the right and release. Lower the
searchcoil to the beach. If the audio level now decreases, the discrimination control should be
turned one number counterclockwise. Press the Master Control switch to the right and
release. Continue this tuning process until there is no chance or very little change when the
searchcoil is lowered to the wet salt beach. The adjustment is slightly critical in the last stages,
usually requiring only slight rotation of the control. When the detector is properly adjusted, it
eliminates the effects of salt water, gives maximum depth capability, and operates at a
discrimination level that rejects foil, nails, and rusty bottlecaps. Rings and nickels, however,
will not be rejected at this setting.

Thanks

marmota.monax, I will give this a shot. At least this way we will have more feedback.