Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something to think about

still looking 52

Recently I discovered that most deep targets (5""plus) won't read on the VID screen or make any sound from most directions you approach the Target. I'm referring to coin hunting which is what I mostly do.
The last two silver coins I found ( Mercury dimes) where between 5" and 7" deep and both coins I could only pick up from about a 20 degree angle which makes you missing the Target from 340 degrees. Both coins where found in an area that's hunted regularly, a pubic park open to everyone who owns a metal detector.
You may want to try a search pattern that is more complete from every angle possible to get that deep silver.

This is a must for me in my dirt that also has way too many pieces of iron from small to large infesting it.
No matter how many times I have hit an area I still go back and try again and I have found great things that have popped up from time to time because on that day I used the right settings and hit it from the right angle.

Most hunters think all these public areas around here are totally hunted out but they are wrong...the easy to find obvious signals are definitely gone but the harder to find masked ones are still around and there seems to be a lot of them...way more than those old guys ever suspected.

If it beeps dig it................and you will still miss targets
So many variables why detectors do not hit a target ...

A very good tip for all. I am always surprised when I change my patterns. Many of hunting friends do not have the patience will not do any gridding at all. When I find older coins in a particular area, I might hunt it from three or four directions. When I find something good, I will re-check the plug area in all metal to see what could have been hiding the good target.

That's why areas are never cleaned out....Have heard of fellows walking backward, putting coil on backward, using opposite hand usually left to swing and actually stringing out areas to name a few to change direction with good results..

RLOH said:
A very good tip for all. I am always surprised when I change my patterns. Many of hunting friends do not have the patience will not do any gridding at all. When I find older coins in a particular area, I might hunt it from three or four directions. When I find something good, I will re-check the plug area in all metal to see what could have been hiding the good target.

Great great advice that a lot of people never heed. They typically scour the same region in the same direction over and over again. After reading Tom Dankowski's article on changing detecting directions or angles, I found many more targets at the beach last year that were completely missed by my usual pattern. I typically do the area on the width first and then up and down. I don't have the patience to do diagonal most of the time but I should.

i have soooo many signals like this and have often wondered if perhaps more was
going on down there...but as of yet i only dig the targets that are clear and repeatable from all angles
when cross checking them. i am sure i have left lots of coins with my approach, ... i will deffinately need
to go over my hunting grounds again in the future. I had planned on retracing my steps with other machines
and coils, so i may as well hit all the iffy signals, esspecially where i have hit
paydirt in the past. thanks... still learning, everything helps.

Herb Jones said:
i have soooo many signals like this and have often wondered if perhaps more was
going on down there...but as of yet i only dig the targets that are clear and repeatable from all angles
when cross checking them. i am sure i have left lots of coins with my approach, ... i will deffinately need
to go over my hunting grounds again in the future. I had planned on retracing my steps with other machines
and coils, so i may as well hit all the iffy signals, esspecially where i have hit
paydirt in the past. thanks... still learning, everything helps.
Herb, believe me you are missing at least 75% of the silver finds by only digging the beep in all 4 directions. I use to be in that school myself and learned from hard knocks that you need to dig those faint far away sounds with a high tone.