Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something weird about the AT Pro coil falsing

Bill_S

If I hold the AT pro with the coil pointing down and twist the detector back and forth it will false with the bell tone in STD mode. If I raise the coil (not straight up but with the detecotor parallel to the ground) while twisting it back and forth the falsing will just about completely quit the higher i go. With the coil pointing up towards the sky it will hardly false at all. This dont make sense. Any ideas why it would not false with the coil pointing upwards. I know its not falsing on something in the ground or near by.

you can do a manual ground balance and this will stop the falsing when you try to twist it from side to side.I don't know what effect that has on the detector when out hunting tho.

Not trying to stir anything up but I thought it was weird that it pretty much stopped when the coil was pointed up. Dont make any sense. The detector does work like normal otherwise.

Bill_S said:
Not trying to stir anything up but I thought it was weird that it pretty much stopped when the coil was pointed up. Dont make any sense. The detector does work like normal otherwise.

Garrett seems to have found a correction to the falsing that some users are experiencing.
I would say ... send it in and get it fixed.

Willee

Willee
I was reading one of your other posts on the falsing issue wth the AT Pro .......It seems that you have been telling people to lower the Sensitivity to correct the falsing issue ........ that it was not really a problem to some .....and now you are seeing that there really is a genuine probllem and you're telling people to send their machine in ......The BIG problem I have is that you are telling folks that Garrett is turning down the sensitivity of the machine when they can do this themselves !!.....This cannot be FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH !!.......Where did you get your information from ? ...... My machine was sent back and my Sensitivity was NOT turned down , and it runs fine now ......Keith Southern has a machine that runs fine and hit's deep like mine , and has no falsing either .....After seeing his video and experinceing my machine , I can surely educate you to the fact that the Sensitivity is FAR from being turned down at Garrett !! ...... Unless you know from the Garrett engineers that they are doing nothing more than turning down the sensitivity , I would thank you not to spread rumors about the Sensitivity being dummied down at Garrett .....This was your earlier response so you know what I am talking about .......Sincerely, Jim

BTW ...Proper coil control is to keep your coil as low to the ground as possible to detect targets that are DEEP !!....Holding a coil a few inches above the ground is NOT good coil control ..... However high you hold your coil above the ground is how much depth you're loosing when detecting .....Scrubbing the coil from time to time is COMMON practice to get better depth when detecting, while keeping the coil LOW TO THE GROUND !! ..... JIm

"Here is the deal ... the AT Pro is very sensitive.
If you want to run it at max sensitivity then it will false when you do the crazy twist in the air.
Yes ... it will also false when you bump the coil against something.
Is this a problem?
For some it is ... for others it is not.
With proper coil control it works fine for me when swinging it on the ground and I have no problem with it.
Very seldom do I need to cut the sensitivity back from max.
My $1500 detector will also false when I bump the coil.

If you want Garrett to fix your detector so it dont do this ... they can go in and reduce the sensitivity for you so you can still have all 8 bars of sensitivity on the screen ... or you can just cut it back yourself.
So if you must do the crazy twist in the air ... cut the sensitivity back to "5'' ... and please post some photos of what you find.

Some of the engineers have stated on the forums that the coil could have been better shielded.
All I know is whether or not I like the way a detector works when I use it.
I have no real issues with the AT PRO just the way it is.
I dont expect it to perform like an E-trac, a F-75 SE, an Explorer II, or any other top of the line detector.
If I didnt like it I wouldn't use one and I do plan on having another one to use in the water this summer.
It would be nice if Garrett sometime in the future decided to redesign the coil shielding to make it even better ... but that is up to them.

I have been badmouthed for selling someone my AT Pro because of this crazy shake "problem".
After he bought it and it was shipped he asked about the posts by Keith Southern and the crazy shake "problem" ... I told him it was common but if he did not like it after he used it to send it back for a full refund.
He didnt send it back but posted "Beware of Willee" on several forms.
All because of what he has read about using a detector in a manor it was not intended to be used and/or not fully understanding the "problem" that isnt really a "problem".

I have used several detectors in the past that I did not like the way they worked for one reason or another.
They worked exactly like they were designed to work and nothing was wrong with them ... they were what they were.
Detector manufactures can not custom make every detector for every person ... it dont work that way.
Everyone knows that some Tesoro detectors are hotter than others ... same with Fisher CZ's if you gat a hot one it is the luck of the draw.
Are all the others defective?

If the AT Pro dont suite your style and requirements get something that does.
I like the AT PRO and can use it with no problems.
It meets and exceeds my expectations of a detector in that price range.
The only reason I sold it was to help finance another more expensive detector I wanted more.

BTW: Who bought their AT PRO thinking it was a good choice for hunting gold nuggets?

Willee

If its the new ones coming out now they dont seen to be having the problems the old ones did. Just wondering how old yours is.

The new machines coming out are reporting to NOT have the falsing problem .....The machine that Keith Southern shows in his video is a NEW machine .....My machine is an OLD machine that Garrett corrected ....I can tell you that I have the same control box, and there has been NO indication at all of any problem with any weakened Sensitivity issue on my machine at all .....Quite the contrary !!..... You can watch Keiths video and see what his does .....or should I say DOESN"T do at ful sensitivity !!........ I would have no reservations about buying a newer machine at all and if there are problems with the older machine , send it back to Garrett .....They are a wonderful company to deal with , and aim to please ....Jim

synthnut said:
The new machines coming out are reporting to NOT have the falsing problem .....The machine that Keith Southern shows in his video is a NEW machine .....My machine is an OLD machine that Garrett corrected ....I can tell you that I have the same control box, and there has been NO indication at all of any problem with any weakened Sensitivity issue on my machine at all .....Quite the contrary !!..... You can watch Keiths video and see what his does .....or should I say DOESN"T do at ful sensitivity !!........ I would have no reservations about buying a newer machine at all and if there are problems with the older machine , send it back to Garrett .....They are a wonderful company to deal with , and aim to please ....Jim

You mentioned in your other post above about scrubbing the ground with the coil. That is something that I have been told by more than a few people in this hobby a person "SHOULD" do. And not just on occasion actually. I have been told by guys I respect very much for their knowledge that you shouldnt raise your coil off the ground at all. That it should be brushing the ground in your normal swing. If you are worried about scratching the coil, they say thats what coil covers are for. These are guys that have been in the hobby almost from day one and one has had his own detector store for many years. I bought a detector from him a few years back at his store and the first thing he did was have me show him my swing. Even though he knew I wasnt new to the hobby. When I did, he said he suspected I had been doing it wrong which is why he wanted me to show him my swing. And I was doing it wrong. At least in his opinion and ya know, he was right. My finds actually improved after he showed me how I should be doing it...and that was with the coil touching the ground across my full swing.

A detector shouldnt false as a rule. By that I mean, if its adjusted properly, falseing shouldnt be but a minor, very minor issue as a rule, IF at all. And it shouldnt matter HOW you swing the coil or if you "wiggle" it in a certain way because you dont always use a detector with the coil flat on the ground if you detect across a range of areas and locations. There are times, such as searching abandoned homes and in heavy trees or brush where you could have that coil in some pretty odd positions. As in directly overhead or vertically or in cramped locations.

Example: I found an old kerosene lantern in the notch of a tree about 7 or 8 foot above the ground. The tree was pretty large and pretty old and the notch where the lantern was formed a hollow which hid the lantern from view. But I have learned over my years that there can be things found almost any location. So I when I passed that big ol tree and detected around its base, I also swung the coil up by that notch. And got a hit. My detector. A old Garrett, my first Garrett at that. Anyway, I had to turn that coil upside down and "wiggle" it to see just where in that notch the object was sitting and it was right in the middle. So I wsnt going to leave it there without looking. I went and got some fallen wood and stuff to pile up against the trunk until I could climb up enough to look in that notch and that is where I found that old lantern. It was falling apart and rusted bad, but it could have been something else..something valuable as well. And that is just one example of odd positions that you will put your coil in. And maybe just have to "wiggle" it because of location and lack of room to do anything else. Such as searching ceilings in abandoned houses. Or in window boxes or seats. Corners of attics. Or up in a tree notch. :yikes: And yea...I removed the old lantern and rescanned the notch. Nothing else was there. Darn.

I don't know how old his is, but I bought mine back at the end of November and it falses bad when shacken. I plan on sending Garrett an e-mail tomorrow.

Thisoldgoldchaser ,
GREAT STORY !!..... I hunt some OLD parks and if I don't keep my coil on the ground , I don't find any deep Silver ....If I can't scrub the coil on the ground , I can't use the detector .... I also have to get in between some old raised roots from some very old trees .....That sniper coil will come in PLENTY handy on the AT for this type of hunting ..... Again , the coil will be bumped and scraped to get into the knooks and cranny's of the tree roots and vines and everything else that's in the area .....I don't need a falsing coil for this type of hunting ether .... The guy that told you about keeping your coil on the ground is RIGHT !!.....Keep it low and slow .....and hope for some DEEEEEP targets !!.....Thanks for sharing ....Jim

Joe in MD,
Yours is an older one for sure !!.....Jim

synthnut said:
Thisoldgoldchaser ,
GREAT STORY !!..... I hunt some OLD parks and if I don't keep my coil on the ground , I don't find any deep Silver ....If I can't scrub the coil on the ground , I can't use the detector .... I also have to get in between some old raised roots from some very old trees .....That sniper coil will come in PLENTY handy on the AT for this type of hunting ..... Again , the coil will be bumped and scraped to get into the knooks and cranny's of the tree roots and vines and everything else that's in the area .....I don't need a falsing coil for this type of hunting ether .... The guy that told you about keeping your coil on the ground is RIGHT !!.....Keep it low and slow .....and hope for some DEEEEEP targets !!.....Thanks for sharing ....Jim

Joe in MD,
Yours is an older one for sure !!.....Jim

Thanks Joe.. I have gotten myself into some precarious and unusual positions over the years that I have been detecting. Going out and just scanning open ground is okay, but going where its difficult or hard to detect is where I have made some of my best finds. Now that I am older...ahem...its not as easy for me and I dont have the stamina I used to have but I still like to look for the more difficult locations because its the easy ones that have already been hit lots. Finally got a boat so am going to be looking for some spots this summer off the beaten track and in the water to do some detecting.

Yea, that bit of advice about keeping the coil on the ground was the best advice I have been given about this hobby. Or at least near the top of the top 10. And yea...if you cant use a coil or detector where you are going to bruch or knock up against objects or brush, tree roots, etc, without falsing, then it IS useless to you.

Yeah I think they have corrected the problem present in some early models. This happens when a brand new design is rushed into production.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. I will contact Garret. I should have sent it back when there was 15" inches of snow on the ground and I couldnt detect. ;o)