Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sometimes you just don't know how lucky you can be!

Rivermarine1

This is not about metal detecting, but I thought I would share it with you. This spring, I was stupid enough to leave my wallet in my truck overnight with the doors unlocked. The next morning it was gone. So I threw the normal temper tantrum, stomped around feeling absolutely stupid for what happened. Did my police report, notified my credit card companies and put a fraud alert on my credit through the credit agencies. A few days later, different people from one area of town called and asked If I had lost my drivers license, a Sam's club card, a credit card, etc. Well these good people had found them along the streets in their neighborhood, where the crooks had just thrown them out. I got most everything back except my social security card. Some really nice people. I was lucky for that, but that is not where my real luck began.

Yesterday, I received a letter from the FBI. I thought, Why are they contacting me and about what????? I opened the letter and they told me I was a victim in a computer crime they were investigating. Me? A Victim? I didn't know anything had happened. So today, I called the number on the letter to get more information. As it turned out, a couple of people, working together in a credit union and a mortgage company in New Orleans had accessed information for over 470 people, mine included and had attempted to get personal information and credit histories through different credit agencies. Here is where I really got lucky. When my wallet had been stolen, I had put a fraud alert on my credit. When they tried to get my information, the credit agency got suspicious and started a background check. That with other information led back to the mortgage company employee. As it turned out, none of my personal information was compromised. The people involved were identified and my bacon was saved and the investigation continues. By the way, I had left my wallet in the truck while I was metal detecting and forgot to bring it in when I brought everything else into my house.

Makes me shiver because of a similar situation I had. Got a letter from a credit card company wanting more information for the application I supposedly had filled out for their card. Needed my mother's maiden name and my ss#. After contacting the cc co. I figured out someone had stolen a letter from this co. from my mailbox and filled out the app. I immediately called my bank and two credit report companies and put a fraud alert on my credit report. This is the best protection you can give yourself and it's FREE.

HH, twalton