Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sometimes you need to take a step back...

samandnoah

Several days ago, I was testing out an accessory for another metal detector I own (had gotten the Ron's meter for my Sov GT, and had the 5" sun ray coil on it). So I found a clear spot in my front yard, threw down a quarter, and started swinging. The meter worked like a charm. Out of curiosity, I wondered how much depth I would get, and started to raise the coil. It wasn't very deep, but adequate.

Quick interruption: I'm not writing this to incite an "air testing" riot. I'm not making any claims about absolute performance, or air vs. dirt, etc. I'm aware of the limitations. It was just a simple matter of satisfying my curiosity. OK, back to the story...

So then I, of course, wondered, hmmm, how would the Deus do? I had the 9" coil on it, and I grabbed it. I was able to raise the coil substantially more than the 5" sniper. No shocker there. BUT, here is what did hit me...

1. As I got to the limits of the Deus coil, I listening to how the tone changed. And got softer. And then I realized, THIS IS A WHISPER SOUND! Duh! THIS is what I need to be listening for! It is distinct from some of the other "iffy" sounds I've chased before (sometimes with good targets, often not).

2. I noticed how the VDI changed, and became further and further from what I knew to be "the truth". How many times have you guys shared with us that the VDI isn't accurate at depth? 100 times? A thousand times? I heard you, but I wasn't ready to learn what you meant until I was ready to learn it, if you know what I mean. Suddenly the heavens parted and the sun shone, and I got it.

I've gone on 2 short hunts since then. I've been focused on the soft tones, and basically ignoring the VDIs if the horseshoe depth gauge is less than half full. I have been digging many more targets. I've dug a curled up "tail" of a beavertail pulltab at approx. 7". I found a .22 casing. I've also been rewarded with a few copper pennies, including 1 wheat. Nothing spectacular other than realizing I was missing half of the world's targets!

I also have to confess that I dug some targets that failed my 12kHz vs. 4kHz bottlecap test. And you know what? There were some non-ferrous targets I would have missed. They were junk as it turns out, but it could have been a ring, or a coin. AT DEPTH is the key. The test has still never failed me with bottlecaps in the top 1" - 2", where most of mine seem to be. But when I applied it to deeper targets, I was missing the point about the VDI is not accurate, and even the relative VDI readings may not hold.

I know I've been rambling, but this really was eye-opening. Sometimes you need to take a step back, and try some of the things you more typically do when you first get a detector. Sit on the sofa and swing a dime past your coil at different depth for 5 minutes. Listen to what's the same, and what's different. Then do it with a quarter, or a ring, or whatever. But I think going back and repeating some of these exercises helps you (or at least helped me!) learn new subtleties that you had no way of being prepared to understand when you did those things the first time. OK, end of sermon. Go out and hunt, and have some fun!
Rich

4kHz hits more confidently in my experience on fringe depth targets. I know I keep promising a video to this effect, but I can't afford the equipment right now. I would shoot it on my iPhone, but I want to be able to have the highest sound quality (1080p) for this video. Around 7-8" and beyond is where the effect is most pronounced!!!

I've also had to adjust my notching to accommodate these fringe targets since many times a deep coin-sized target will indicate higher on VDI at depth. Don't know how many of these I've walked past thinking it's trash - a few to be sure - the more I learn about the Deus the better I feel walking onto a site and "combing" it for goodies.

Two new rental permissions opened up tonight - so in an hour or so I'll be back at it!!!

Absolutely right and great post!
When I found this silver quarter I remember thinking "man, this is really deep, almost nothing there". The signal was very faint and not 100% repeatable. I had recently started digging all deep targets in this area and was rewarded with buffalo nickle, few wheatys few Merks and this quarter.
So now I get excited when I've got a repeatable deep whisper going on.

Good post. It's about knowing your machine. For me, the hard part is remembering to practice what I've learned and break the bad habits.

The CP6 headphones really help me to hear those "whisper signals". The remain good solid but faint signals in both directions.

You are 100% right. Earlier in the week it started raining and I put my control unit in my pocket to stop it from getting wet or damaged. My detecting became sounds only, just like in the old days with my first few detectors. I really had to listen. The sounds seemed to be fuller and I concentrated on them more. The next thing I knew, a sweet sound and a small cuff flat button. The next day,same setup, 2 civil war tokens.