Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sony FD90 "Sharpness"

A

Anonymous

Can someone tell me where/how this setting is used? Values I believe are from -2.0 to +2.0.
Thanks in advance Mike W

Mike, do you have the manual? Those settings are for "Exposure compensation"
If the picture you are going to take is predominately white (like the 13 inches of snow here in Missouri), the light meter built into your lens will think the scene is too bright and will select a smaller aperature (lets in less light). If a subject (such as a person) is in the picture and is surrounded by snow your camera will under-expose your subject (too dark) and make the scene turn slightly grey instead of staying white. So you would increase the Exposure Compensation about one (+1). I'm assuming you are in the "Auto Mode" (point and shoot) and that you can change the Exposure Compensation in this mode. Many cameras will not let you set EC in the auto mode. Some cameras have a "P" program where you can change EC. That's why I wondered if you had the manual.
The other side is if the scene is predominately dark (like a black cat). Then the light meter thinks it is too dark and opens up the Aperature (lets in more light). The cat would then be over-exposed assuming the cat fills most of the picture. Again, this would normally happen if you are in the "Auto Mode". This time you would have to set the EC about -1 so the cat would look black with good detail. You can experiment to your hearts content cause the results will be right on the LCD and you can erase the ones that don't look right and start all over. Normally you don't have to worry too much about EC unless the scene is obviously way too dark or way to bright. By dark I mean shadows or a dark forest scene even though the pictures are taken during the daytime. Hope this helps.
Jerry