Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Soon to be Etrac Owner - Pulltabs Discrimination Question

dgc

Etrac on order so been reading manual, this forum, watching videos and working with the emulator.

On the emulator I selected the minelab coins mode. Then I added pulltab rejection by using the combine feature and pulling pulltabs (rejected) onto the screen. I am using the Etract_usa_coins.zip file which has two pulltabs in it. When I sweep over them in the emulator they are not rejected. They locate just to the right of the pulltab rejection area. Is this a problem with the data in the zip file or is the Etrac pulltab data the problem.

Also, is there an emulator zip file with any iron objects in it?

Thanks for replies.

My USA coins file (from BeepGoesOn) doesn't have any pull-tabs.....Where did you get yours?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

captn_se said:
My USA coins file (from BeepGoesOn) doesn't have any pull-tabs.....Where did you get yours?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

http://www.detectorplace.com/files/Etract_usa_coins.zip

I really wouldn't trust any of those zip files. The only way to have true accuracy is to test real items on a real machine. The emulator was written to get a better understanding of the E-Tracs menus/settigs. That's all.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DGC -

I've never been a big fan of using pulltab discrimination all or most of the time because so many other good things fall within the same conductivity area that are valuable. Too, if you do come across what you believe is a good target, an adjacent pulltab that you are rejecting can cause you grief with pinpointing and ID. And if you have it discriminated out pulltabs, the sound of it will be nulled making things even more difficult.

I don't like digging pulltabs anymore than the next guy and being a long time Explorer user, but new E-trac'r, I have been digging up lots of pulltabs to get a feel for where they fall into the expanded ferrous/conductivity scale of the E-trac. This has been helpful because as I go along now, hunting with mostly an open screen, I have a pretty good feeling based upon the sound, depth, and ID reading, of what the coil is over. If I have a possible target next to one of these pulltabs, I already know the pulltab(?) is there and can quickly remove it to focus on the better target. And being familiar with digging pulltabs, if the reading is close to a pulltab, but gives me a suspicion it could be something else, I can dig it hoping for a surprise. Sometimes it is a good target, sometimes a disfigured pulltab.

Looking for trade tokens is something I enjoy doing with the E-trac. Some Tokens are MUCH more valuable than all but the rarest of coins in the best of condition. Many of these trade tokens are nickel sized, made of brass, aluminum, copper or such and fall into the conductivity range from nickel to IH penny. A few will read up into the penny, dime, quarter range. Most gold rings fall into the same area.

It may be worth your while to spend some time digging targets from all areas of the E-trac scale and learning where items fall along there in the areas that you hunt. Depending on where you live, it could be civil war type relics, valuable jewelry or trade tokens, older coins, or a coin at a funny angle or one that has been buried a long time that gives a reading different than it would when out of the ground.

Just a thought for you to consider.

Good luck with it when it arrives,

Rich (Utah)

Rich (Utah) said:
DGC -

It may be worth your while to spend some time digging targets from all areas of the E-trac scale and learning where items fall along there in the areas that you hunt. Depending on where you live, it could be civil war type relics, valuable jewelry or trade tokens, older coins, or a coin at a funny angle or one that has been buried a long time that gives a reading different than it would when out of the ground.

Just a thought for you to consider.

Good luck with it when it arrives,

Rich (Utah)

Good advice Rich. Looking forward to trying it out. My decision to get an Etrac was, in no small part, based on the positive results I have seen on the Etrac forum here at findmall. I have an F75 LTD also and it will be good to check them against each other.

Thanks for the reply.

When i first got the etrac i loaded the standard coin patern, combined the pulltabs then proceded to the edit/learn menu and passed about 50 gold bits and bobs, when i finished the complete pulltab shadow was gone, lesson learnt, disc out tabs and you lose the gold

EladSwerdna said:
Sadly, I believe if you try and discriminate pulltabs, you will increase your chances of missing good targets.

That's exactly right. Its better to just dig them or decide how many you want to dig based on the depth or how often you'll be able to get back to that spot. This is my opinion of course, but I've got some spots I should be able to hunt for years and years, close by, barring any major change.

NebTrac