Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

South Dakota trip and what a blast.:jump:

Hi fellows,

Got back from our South Dakota detecting trip and Bugsy, Jerry and I had a blast. Over 1,200 miles one way in Bugsy's 1989 motorhome with a few problems along the way, but we made it there and back. Bugsy has been back to this place several times and good friends with the guy who owns the property we hunted on. Mike owns the land and we are talking about over 29,000 acres!! The old Bismarck trail runs through his property and two old markers from 1876 are posted on the property. Since the Calvary was there for a few years protecting the wagon trains going through the area, my goal was to find some Calvary items and maybe an old coin or two, but the coins were few and far between. I dug so many holes I couldn't tell you, but in an area dating back to the 1870's you have to dig just about all targets. My coin finds were a 1901 V nickel and a 1895 Mexican 10 centavos coin. Got the 1937 Buffalo nickel at a park we detected on the way. Bugsy got a 1900 Barber dime and that was it for coins. We all found pieces of old lead type that was used for the local newspaper in the old town site that was there years ago. Found a few old bullet casings and slugs, but the mother load was on the other side of the river that ran through this area. Water was kind of high so we had to blaze a trail off of the main road and finally got down to the other side of the river. I found two old Calvary buttons, and a complete bullet that turned out to be a Sharps .50-90 caliber round used mostly for buffalo hunting and several other slugs of different calibers including two ringers and three ringers. Then I got a signal that really made my day. Dug my plug and pulled out a crossed sabre sword hat pin.:clapping: It was in beautiful condition and very glad that I didn't ruin the crap out of it when I dug my plug. This was a trip of a lifetime and one that I will remember always. Hope to get back there one of these days as Mike said there is an old Calvary fort on his property and several old homesteads and old stage coach stops that haven't been touched by anyone that he knows about. Thanks for looking fellows and hope you like my finds. HH to everyone.

Eddie

Congrats Eddie. That is a fine looking hat pin. I really like the centavo as well. Heck its all great stuff.
Wow, 29,000 acres. I guess you can hunt there forever and never swing over the same ground twice.

excellent finds - that must be exciting to dig in a place with that history, congrats.

n/t

Sounds like you had a good time .. ,

Wow.
Don't see stuff like that in these here parts...
Thanks for sharing your story as well as the finds!