Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov Elite Blues

madaboutmike

I bought my Sov Elite from Kellyco - this was my first MD. The control unit is so heavy that carry it on a shoulder strap because hip mounting would give me a hernia! The control unit, digital meter and the 10" Tornado coil were shipped to Los Vegas because the meter was incapable of adjustment to 550. They replaced a circuit board, fixed the coil, tested and recalibrated the control unit. I thought things were fine. I also bought a Coinsearch coil from Dixie MD's, one of the 150 they purchased from Minelab as discontinued models. I was assured this coil was a deep seeker - and Dave was right. Not only is it a deep seeker but I can get it closer to wire fences than the Tornado coils.

Went to a tot lot built over an old New England farm in Ct and to pick some coins. That's when I discovered the 5" Tornado had bit the dust. I changed to the Coinsearch and started picking up coins. As I was digging up a penny, I hapened to kick some wood chips aside and uncovered a cross, 14K and about 1" long. I was a little ticked that the machine hadn't detected this - I thought Minelabs were touted as being gold finders. I ran the cross under and over the coil and it was invisible to the sensors at all settings, including 'all metal'.

As I speak, I air tested the Coinsearch verses the 10" Tornado and learned that the Coinsearch air detects at least 2 inches further than the Tornado.

I ran a 14K mens gold ring over both coils and both produced roughly the same sound as a detected clad quarter. The quarter registered 550 on the digital meter whlie the mens ring registered roughly 439. At least the sensors were able to detect it. However, I am a bit disappointed about the 14K cross. Neither coil detected. While in the tot lot, I found a chain earring. Even when I bunched it up and swung the coil over, the earring was invisible. However, the coinsearch detected when air tested in 'all metal mode' and out of Disc with notch turned one or 2 points "below' nickle. The meter registered numbers all over the place but when in 'all metal with no disc, the meter consistantly registered 1561 like a ferrous object but with no tone. With Notch turned to the Foil range, the control box did not produce good tone. Perhaps the earring is white gold alloyed with an undetectable metal. My Vibra Probe detects the cross and earring. One has to wonder what I have been missing in my beach hunts in Newport!

Am wondering, is there someting wrong with me or is it the control unit.

You just cant find this humor anywhere else. :)

But I do want to be helpful. I believe if you turn the unit on you will actually get more than a null-----But it has taken me five years with my GT to tell an iron null from just ordinary nulls. Oh and the meter doesnt work very well in A/M I have not been able to identify any coin with a minus 56 reading. Don

turn the disc and notch down to 0 and then try it, some gold is real low, like a bad bit of foil or beavertail, i have found as a general rule the finer the lower the tone, with chains real low tones(not always)

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have the disc. and notch set at minimum? In disc. mode my Elite will hit a very thin small 14 kt. wire gold ring about the size of a dime at 6 1/2 inches in a air test. It comes in at small foil.

Greetings Crazyman,

I have disc and Notch at Zero. However, the mens 14k ring I air tested caused the Sov to produce a more discernable tone just a click or two under the Nickle area and tone is similar to a clad quarter ( 550) although the digital meter with the ring registers less, 539. Sometimes I dig based upon tone and the size of an object in the ground. I always carry test objects to calibrate meter in the field.

Went to a school I've been avoiding because too many people. It's surrounded by old oak trees and has several sports fields within the wire fence. In the old days, there was a race track. I used my Coinsearch coil with the AA battery pack. I think the Coinsearch coil goes deeper than the Tornado coils. Pinpointing is not as accurate with this coil but this coil finds things.

Among the numerous pennies and clads I dug up, I found a 1951 silver dime at the base of an oak tree close to the roots. Dime is in almost perfect condition and indicates older coins are in the ground just waiting for me. Going back there tomorro to detect around perimeter oaks.

I just wonder if control box is not doing what it's supposed to do. Recent search area is heavily used by Latino and Jamacan sports groups. Should be a lot of gold.

mike

My Coinsearch coil is the bomb - deeper than the Tornado coils although pinpointing is more difficult. I found that a mens 14 K ring produces a clear tone just a few clicks under the nickle setting in Disc. When I set to zweo, tone is not as clear. However, I'll try your suggestion. Hey - with gold priced as it is - that's what I'm after. Found a 1951 silver roosevelt dime today. On other hand, you can't find what is not lost!
mike