Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov GT ? All metal versus discrimination

CCadrin

I was wondering if anyone has done any air test between to the 2 modes. I did a quarter and it appears that in my test the discrimination mode had more depth. It was around 11 inches versus like 9.5 inches in all metal. My settings for discrimination and notch were all the way to the left (counter clockwise) and iron mode was on. My sensivity was on auto. Volume was at max.

Out in the field and beach, the discrimination also appears to be louder than all metal. Is it normal on this machine to be deeper in discrimination?

It seems that depends on where your hunting as forum members have different findings on this. For me all metal is deeper, Im in NJ and Ive checked both modes many times, all metal by a few inches, its not really that close. Others find the disc mode deeper.
Id say forget the air tests for depth tests and do your depth testing by checking deep targets with both modes when you hunt and also try both modes for hunting and see if you can make one mode find something and the other not see it. That would answer your question for your area.

HH
Neil

n/t

I find that for me any of the Sovereigns seem to go deeper in disc, could be I can hear the tone change better than the slight volume of all metal. Many times on some of the weak signals in disc I get and when trying to pinpoint in all metal I dont seem to get a signal and just have to dig to find a deep coin with the help of the S-1 probe.
Myself I also feel that in disc you are using the BBS while in all metal you are not, but I dont know for sure if this is what is happening.

Rick Im gonna guess the BBS is being used in all metal and heres why I think so, the Sov is absolutely seamless when going from dry sand to wet sand at the ocean and besides an Explorer, Etrac or a pulse machine, no other machine Ive ever used will do that. It will do it in both all metal and disc and I attribute this performance to BBS. A Fisher CZ is multi freq but you have to ground balance it for each location and I think the BBS is the difference.

Here is what I found out about all metal with my Sov, try this if you dont mind alot of digging or want to see for yourself. Ive hunted in all metal doing the reverse disc thing, checking targets in disc, and Ive located deeper weak signals in all metal that dont even register in disc, dont null, no threshold change, nothing, like they arent there. These are the deepest of targets mind you. Also the all metal mode recovers from target to target much faster. Would love to see minelab figure out a way to put a tone split on the all metal mode, splitting up iron and other targets. I think youd see a bunch of the Explorer guys hoping back on Sovs:cheers:

Neil

try searching in pinpoint mode ,,,it is even more sensitive ,,the manual says not to search in pinpoint mode as it dissables the ground balance

but ground balance is not always needed

those are my setttings lol they work my friend dont touch ok really if you want to know more contact me ok love this machine go to bed with her mmmmmmmmmmm SOV GT SHE IS SOOOOO HOT

hiya guys,,just wanted to tell you that if you search in pinpoint mode (as the RETUNE is quicker),,it will tune out the target in that mode if its on too long,,so if its deep to start with,,you will lose it,,:fixed is probably better for you??? rgds comcat:ukflag:

actually i am so wrong,,,i was talking about track mode,,,sorry guys,,that would track out the target if you kept on scanning it,,, pinpoint would be poor at finding a target though as it shrinks the size of it to,,,,,pinpoin t!!!! so target would be i suppose easily missed??:ukflag:

CCadrin said:
I was wondering if anyone has done any air test between to the 2 modes. I did a quarter and it appears that in my test the discrimination mode had more depth. It was around 11 inches versus like 9.5 inches in all metal. My settings for discrimination and notch were all the way to the left (counter clockwise) and iron mode was on. My sensivity was on auto. Volume was at max.

Out in the field and beach, the discrimination also appears to be louder than all metal. Is it normal on this machine to be deeper in discrimination?
It is true the disc mode is deeper if that is what you want to call it,the Sov gt auto track all metal mode is not good, The little extra depth you get in disc mode is from factory setting, the Sov gt would be a better and deeper unit if it operated with a ground balance control.Look the BBS and FBS technology is not ironed totally out yet, i expect it will get better, until then i am sticking with single frequency machines for a while longer.That is why if i get another Minelab it would be the X-Terra, you can change your hunt frequency by simply changing coils, just watch the X-Terra line of detectors is going to pump up Minelab even more, oh and you can manually ground balance all the new X-Terras, what a nice looking new line up of detectors, X-Terra-305-505-705,very nicely done Minelab! :minelab:Charles.

comcat said:
actually i am so wrong,,,i was talking about track mode,,,sorry guys,,that would track out the target if you kept on scanning it,,, pinpoint would be poor at finding a target though as it shrinks the size of it to,,,,,pinpoin t!!!! so target would be i suppose easily missed??:ukflag:

hey comcat your right the tracking mode in all metal can "track out" targets, especially the deeper faint ones. the pinpoint mode in all metal though just sizes the target, doesnt shrink it that Ive ever seen. It may seem that way compared to the disc mode which gives that broad signal.
That quicker reset in pinpoint is a great feature, has helped me many tiimes finding targets.

Neil