Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov gt and wot coil sens. question....

borntofli

Is it normal to have to run sensitivity lower on the 15 wot compared to the tornado...???? I'm guessing this is probably right since it is seeing much more ground.... I am not having depth issues, quarters still sound booming at 12"....

If the beach is clean I can run it higher, but close to the water where there is seaweed if I touch it at all it falses....

Just curious as to others experiences with it.......

That is normal ,

Two reasons why a bigger coil needs a lower sensitivity setting. One is that they might pick up more RF noise and interference than a smaller coil. Bigger antenna so to speak. But, I found I could run the 15x12 at higher sensitivity settings than the 10" Tornado at most sites, so that's not always true. Second reason being that they are seeing more ground matrix. It lights up more ground making the signal "hotter" so you may have to lower the sensitivity. That's the reason why a smaller coil might actually get deeper in really bad ground than a larger coil. It has less ground glare to deal with.

Funny thing is I found the 15x12 got it's best depth with the sensitivity somewhat lower than what was max stable. For example, 10PM might have been stable but say 1:30 to 3PM would give me more depth....Or at least more stabile ID's at depth. Only way to tell is to bury a dime 7 or 8" deep and then play with the sensitivity until I got the easiest ID out of it. That's how I often would set it at a new site. I think it's due to a lower sensitivity lighting up or making less "hot" the ground signal, so the target isn't being washed out by the ground signal.