Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov. GT or the Excal????

taltexan

Want to start doing a little water detecting....Fresh water mostly but salt when I can....No diving just shallow water and sand. I have an Etrac but dont want to use it where a chance of water damage is possible. Is there enough difference in the two detector to pay the extra for the Excal. Is one lighter than the other. I have been told the GT with the WOT coil is a hard combo to beat but I have never used either one so am asking the experts....Thanks for your replies..

Well the GT isn't waterproof either. That is what you are paying for when you purchase the Excalibur. The GT has more versatility because of the ability to switch coils and headphones. The GT also has a few more bells and whistles included as well. Such as the ability to switch to a quieter channel. The ability to turn iron mask on and off and the ability to quiet the threshold into silent search. Another thing I will tell you is that on my GT discrimination mode is deeper. On my Excalibur ( when I had one ) it was the exact opposite.

I see you are from Texas so I won't go into my normal rant about the fact that very few people with Excals go in the water. Up here in the mid Atlantic states we have much colder water for longer periods. So my recommendation is this.

If you are going to go above the waist into the water or like hunting in the rain get an Excalibur. Below the waist chest mount a Sovereign. You can put a Sovereign in a watertight container also. Search the forums for how to do it.

I personally bought a used Sovereign GT in great shape and the HH PI for the price of an Excalibur. In fact I use an older Sovereign Elite for wading into the water. If I take a hit from a wave I am only out 200.00. That is almost always my recommendation to someone who wants to give beach hunting a shot that already has a nice land detector. Get an older model Sovereign and have at it.