Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov XS... Worth it?

Auriemma

I have the chance on picking up a Sov XS in a trade. Trade value running around $350. It looks to be in great shape and comes with 2 coils (12" Sunray and stock 8"). I have an ATP and love it. I have read many great stories and reviews about the Sovs.

Are they all their cracked up to be?

They say they are great beach machines... How about GB? Wet sand? In saltwater?

Does it take AAs or is it a rechargeable pack? Does it have need a ML charger?

I will give you some info on it. The XS was made around 1995 and they changed them in 1997 for the XS2. The XS has the plug in battery pack that is rechargeable and had a adapter with wires on it to pug into 2 4 cell AA battery packs for alkaline battery's for the spare. Myself I found the XS one of my favorite Sovereigns and seem to be well built even though it may not look it. There was no meter on these and go by the different tones it give for different targets, but many of us added a meter to them to see those close tones our ears can not tell the difference in. It is made to swing slower as you want to hear any different tone changes and some have a problem getting used to it over other detectors. It hates iron even at the lowest disc settings so it seems to be a great coin and jewelry detector. There is a learning curve some give up before they learn it with the different tones, those of us that took the time to learn them love the Sovereigns and do very well in many of those area others claimed are worked out as by going slower we can hear those coin close to iron or other targets.
As far as the coil go, the 8 inch was a solid white one that has Coinsearch on the sticker on the XS and many of us claimed it was the best coil to learn the Sovereign with, but this coil is not waterproof as the later open coil. The 12 inch Sun Ray there is 2 different tone with one a while solid coil that was the earlier one that was a little heavy and it too was not waterproof. The later 12 inch coil was a black open coil that was waterproof. Both does well, but the later model black one is the one everyone wants, so there for a while the older white ones were selling for around $50 or so while the black one used were going for around $140-$160.

As far are they cracked up to be what some say, I would say they are to those that spend the time to learn them, but those that don't spend the time to get to know them and feel they should be digging only great stuff they will not like them that much. Those that get to know them will be impressed at what this detector can do, you just got to use your head more as it will give you so much info and let you the operator decide what to dig and what to walk away from.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Mine only came with the (2) 4 AA alkaline packs. I'm planning on buying an aftermarket 2500mAh NiMH pack and charger.

The 12" coil is the SunRay S-12 Intruder (black) with coil cover, so it should be waterproof according to SunRay.
The 8" coil is the CoinSearch (white). I can't tell if it has a cover or if it just part of the coil.
The machine and coils are in excellent condition overall. Also thrown in was a RTG BB6Tip scoop. After a cleaning and paint job, it looks brand new.

I took it for a walk in a park yesterday, using my Garrett headphones. Very impressed. I need to learn the song it sings. I think it will give my ATP a run for its money.

Sounds like you got the right stuff with this XS as the 8 inch is the right one in my opinion to learn this detector and the black S-12 Intruder coil is the best bigger coil for the Sovereign I have found. If you can find a good Sun Ray meter you will have a great setup, or if not a Sun Ray meter a meter like Ron our moderator makes is also a good meter and highly recommended and it is very reasonable too. The reason I like the Sun Ray is the viewing angle, runs off the same battery as the detector and when it is turned off the meter is too, but that is a personal preference.

Good Luck as you have a great detector for a great price and don't give up on it and you will do well.

Rick

I agree with Rick this is a great Sovereign,but takes a little field time to fully appreciate.