Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereig gt classroom

Thank you for your comments Rick and for your help and knowledge in getting a newbie off to a great start! Hope you are feeling better.

I can speak for for the Excal more than the GT since I have more experience with that machine. When I get a blip then null I used to investigate them all. I never found anything worth while. I still circle them a bit to see if there is a second target. Also, the GT has iron mask. It masks the iron so you can hear the tones of another target close by. Iron mask is useful in these cases so why not switch it on?

I believe in hopes of getting deeper I run my sens as high as I can go without false signals. This may cause the blip on some iron as the machine passes the "halo" of the target. Iron leaves a rotten red halo and it does have a different conductivity due to the salt. I hunt salt beaches 100% with the Excal, now a GT. Would I miss something laying near by or underneath? Possibly, but the digging time it takes slows me down and the odds are way against it being a gold ring. I am not hunting coins, jewelry is my target and the yellow stuff. If targets are slim picking as they are on my beaches right now, dig it all to be sure. Otherwise walk on. I read others saying the blip null does not happen often but on the beach it happens a LOT. I have not dirt hunted with the BBS but I would assume there would be less blips/nulls in dirt hunting.

imalookin2 said:
. If targets are slim picking as they are on my beaches right now, dig it all to be sure. Otherwise walk on. I read others saying the blip null does not happen often but on the beach it happens a LOT. I have not dirt hunted with the BBS but I would assume there would be less blips/nulls in dirt hunting.

I hunt 100% salt beach as well. I do get a lot of "blip-nulls." I dig pretty much everything except full nulls. I haven't paid full attention to what I've dug from blip-nulls, but I think a few of them have turned into two-way-tones when I removed a little sand. I haven't been hunting long enough w/ the gt (since october) to swear by anything my gt says. Targets have been few, so the ears aren't fully trained yet. I do dig quarters that sound pretty close to bottle caps, just not as much "boing" to the tone (seems to depend on how long a bottle cap has been there). Targets are so few I even welcome the penny tone!

OBX Franz said:
imalookin2 said:
. If targets are slim picking as they are on my beaches right now, dig it all to be sure. Otherwise walk on. I read others saying the blip null does not happen often but on the beach it happens a LOT. I have not dirt hunted with the BBS but I would assume there would be less blips/nulls in dirt hunting.

I do dig quarters that sound pretty close to bottle caps, just not as much "boing" to the tone (seems to depend on how long a bottle cap has been there). Targets are so few I even welcome the penny tone!
Targets will get much better after spring break time. The boing sound of the caps gets easy to recognise. Sounds like a boing sound with a fuzzy start and end or fuzzy halo. A quarter sounds like a boing but sharper with no halo. Try hunting at the motel group when you enter the first island before Rodanthe. Think I told you this once but your finds show you may not have been able to get there. :-}~ First large group of huts on the left heading south, and hunt on the beach or around the huts in the dry sand if you can get permission. There is a gold mine there, get permission.

Forget quarters, listen for mid-low tones and a bit higher. Quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies just slow you down from finding the gold. :)

The Minelab Sovereign has been around since 1991 in the US, and the Excal. had been first designed & manufactured in New York, (then by Minelab), in the mid 1990's. These are 20 some odd year old detectors. On this forum there is enough information to fill a dozen or more books on the subject to help any new user. Just do a little reading on the pages here, and ask a few questions. I'm sure you will get all the help you could ever use.

Mr. Bill
Findmall Administration

imalookin2 said:
OBX Franz said:
imalookin2 said:

I do dig quarters that sound pretty close to bottle caps, just not as much "boing" to the tone (seems to depend on how long a bottle cap has been there). Targets are so few I even welcome the penny tone!
Targets will get much better after spring break time. The boing sound of the caps gets easy to recognise. Sounds like a boing sound with a fuzzy start and end or fuzzy halo. A quarter sounds like a boing but sharper with no halo. Try hunting at the motel group when you enter the first island before Rodanthe. Think I told you this once but your finds show you may not have been able to get there. :-}~ First large group of huts on the left heading south, and hunt on the beach or around the huts in the dry sand if you can get permission. There is a gold mine there, get permission.

Forget quarters, listen for mid-low tones and a bit higher. Quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies just slow you down from finding the gold. :)

Ok, Ok, I'll have to find some time to check this place out!! I was talking to someone from Avon the other day, said nobody hunts there (National Park... boo). My winter work schedule doesn't afford me much time, but that will finally be changing soon. When I do get to hunt down there, you'll be the first to see my finds!

OBX Franz said:
imalookin2 said:
OBX Franz said:
imalookin2 said:

Ok, Ok, I'll have to find some time to check this place out!! I was talking to someone from Avon the other day, said nobody hunts there (National Park... boo). My winter work schedule doesn't afford me much time, but that will finally be changing soon. When I do get to hunt down there, you'll be the first to see my finds!
OBX, call the NPS Hatteras and ask if the park rules apply on the islands of Rodanthe, Avon, Buxton and the others. SORRY about my mis-information. The motel huts are actually at the beginning of Buxton a few miles before the lighthouse. Lighthouse View Motel consist of several huts and the main hotel. It sees thousands of tourists each year. I am not sure but think the NPS Seashore ends and begins at each end of the villages. Would be worth a quick phone call. :) Maybe if you stayed one night they would allow you to hunt the sand between all those OLD cottages? Bet you could and it might be good.