Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sovereign charging question

z8chase

hey guys....just a quick question.
how long and how often should i charge my battery pack for my sovereign xs2a?
should i charge it every time i get finished with it?...should i run it completely down and then charge it?......should i never let it run totally down?
and is there a way to monitor the charge on it to keep from over charging it?
i know i can use my volt meter to see if its fully charged or weak but i dont want to over charge it....also is there something i can do or make to allow my charger to kick off when its totally charged as to not burn the battery or charger up in case i accidently forget to unplug it....(because i have forgotten it a couple times and noticed that the standard charger is fairly warm) and i prefer not to let it get hot and risk burning something out
thanks again
terry

Use one of those cheap wall timer outlets for turning it off after so many hours. If the pack is dead, look on the wall transformer for it's current output. If it says 100ma and say the pack is 800ma, then that would be 8 hrs, but overshoot it by an hour or two, both due to the charging process not being very efficient and also due to a healthy pack often holding 200 or 300 more milli amps that the label says.

If you want to monitor the pack for full charge, while it's on the charger read the voltage with a meter. Write that down. Come back in an hour and read it again. Write that down. Continue to do this until the voltage is either right around the same or has dropped, but once you see that give it another hour, because during the normal charging process the voltage with dip a bit here and there and then rise up again. This is normal, but once a larger dip happens than that and it sits right around that voltage, that's when it's peaked, and that's how a charger tells this.

It's called a milli vote threshold setting or m/v. Typically chargers that let you set this will only ask for the "per cell" setting. In other words, for me I normally set nimhs to about 5 to 7m/v per cell, or for nicads about 12 to 14m/v per cell. Reason being nicads dip and rise more than nimhs, and will have a bigger final dip when done. That's why it's very risky to charge a nimh in a nicad charger, because good chance the charger will never see enough of a drop to know the pack is done charging.

For excercising the pack. At least 2 or 3 times a year I like to drain a pack completely dead via using a car tail light bulb or something. If you do this put the bulb on cement as it gets very hot. After about 10 to 20 minutes or so the bulb will go out. Let it sit another 20 minutes to 30 minutes to insure all cells are at equal state of discharge. Some believe you should never drain a pack completely dead, but truth is the voltage will start perking back up again some soon as you remove the load of the bulb.

So long as a pack doesn't sit dead for long periods of time (days or weeks or months) I've never had a cell reverse polarity on me, which is the risk if a cell is dead completely. I like to do this drain/charge/drain/charge thing about 3 to 5 times in a row until my charger starts showing no gains in capacity after about two in a row after that or so. Lacking a charger that shows capacity put back in, just cycle it 3 to 5 times and it should be at its highest capacity possible and back into great shape again.

If you are wondering how to care for the pack, no need to drain a nimh or nicad all the way down, nor to charge it after each use on the machine. Just use it and don't recharge unless you think it won't last the next hunt and don't have a backup pack for the field to throw in. But if the pack has sat for say 2 weeks or more I'd re-charge it before heading out, as nimhs or nicads (nimhs more so) will self drain sitting on the shelf, some faster than others, in only a few days even. There are now low self discharge nimhs on the market that will hold 80% of their charge a year later, but read up on those as some don't live up to their claims.

From memory I think the Sovereign draws somewhere around 50 to 70ma depending on if it's sounding off to a target or not. So here's how to figure out how much capacity has been taken out of it that you need to replace- Add up the # of hours hunted in say 60ma per hour or so and then subtract that from the capacity the label the pack has. Now, look on your wall transformer. How much current output does it have? I'm guessing either 100 or 150ma?

So divide that into the capacity you drained in the field and now you know how many hours to charge the pack from it's current state of charge to full again. Overshoot it about an hour or so more than the math says because of the efficiency of the charging process and also the pack self discharging while it sits. If the math says 5 hours shoot for 6 and it should be full by then, but far easier to use a good charger that auto shuts off and also it's very nice to see capacity put back in.

Just don't use a charger that chargers at say 1C (capacity of pack) or higher in current it outputs. I like to shoot for about 1/3rd to maybe 1/2C when in a rush. So if it's a 1000ma pack say 300ma for about a 3 to 4 hour charge for a completely dead pack, or say around 500ma for a two hour charge. Only if I'm in a huge rush will I charge at 1C or higher (in this case 1 amp), but make sure the pack isn't getting hot. Heat destroys batteries.

Critter can you post a picture of that taillight bulb..How did you do it

It's easy. I just use the "old style" tail light bulb from a Ford Ranger, since I had those laying around. You don't want to use modern led types since they are very low in current draw and will take a long time to drain the pack. Any 12V rated tail light bulb will do. Look at the bulb's end. You'll probably see two contacts at one side and two at the other. These are used for brake lights and another light. Simply alligator clip one lead from the battery to the two on one end, and the other across the other two at the other end. Just touch one lead to one lead on one side and the other lead to one of the others on the other. If the light lights up, now try the other two and see if the other filament in the bulb lights up too. If they do then you are in business. Just clip one alligator clip across the two on one side, and the other across the two on the other. Both filaments should be on then. Then just lay the bulb on cement as it gets very hot while lit. After the bulb goes out, probably in say 20 minutes or so, let it sit like that another 20 minutes or so to insure all cells are at an equal state of discharge. Once the load (bulb) is removed the voltage will start springing up again, but this is only a surface voltage and the pack is pretty much drained of it's capacity now.