Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign deep target id & depth

david bull

I've been using my Sovereign for about three weeks now and other than some larger targets,I really don't understand what to look for when I've located a good deep target.Most of what I've dug were the ones that lock in as a coin, usually 3"-6" deep.What is the best way to estimate target depth?I've tried raising my coil until the signal dropped out but that doesn't seem to be very accurate.Thanks-DBULL

i my experience the deeper targets are usually the faint whisper signals,those that kinda sound somewhat decent tone wise but sound rather weak volume wise......i dont have a meter so i cant really positivly id a find prior to digging it up.......ive had many a coin which started out as a very faint signal and would get much stronger with every 2inches of ground or sand that i would remove......i also dont use a pinpointer which usually is not a problem either ..however there have been times when a target is so deep that after removing say 10 inches or a foot or more soil off of it i will lose the signal as the ground is no longer aiding signal continuity to the target and essencially your left with a long distance air test and as most people will tell you the minelab machines do a much better job reading the target thru the soil than thru the air.......as far as depth is concerned i just dig till i find it,like i said i usually only remove 2 or 3 inches at a time on a weaker signal and rescan after each scoop that way if i lose the signal i have a very good idea where the target is....if i lose the target and cant find it in the diggins pile then i know that target is a little deeper in the hole.......ive had a class ring and a large cent signal disappear at the bottom of the hole ....1 or 2 more scoops and out they came.....

Thanks;mine is an older xs2-pro with the linear meter(non-numeric) and I have noticed on some targets that the meter will try to "climb".This might be the signal that I need to watch.I do use a garret propointer,so lost signals when the dirt is removed isn't a problem.So the deeper signals will be weaker with a good tone?I've dug jar lids(brass?) at a foot deep that gave a strong tone and meter reading and would be similar to a cw belt plate which is what I plan to use this detector for.Here is one that I found last fall.DBULL

Here is something I post every once in a while to help many out, it is a bit long and been added too a few times as i save this on my computer so I dont have to retype it.

The Sovereigns are a different breed of detectors as you are seeing, different then what you may have learned on other detectors, but will tell you once you start to learn it and see what it can do I feel you will be impressed with it. The Key is getting to know and understand its language which many do while others don't want to spend the time to know it and sell it and later get another after seeing what some are finding. I remember one guy out on the East coast that was a Whites user and decided to try a used Sovereign for beach hunting I got traded in. I didn't hear back from him for about a month, then he sent me a E Mail saying after 3 or 4 times out he was going to tell me that I was full of BS as it had so many sounds to it and was digging so much trash, but remembered I told him most don't like it to begin with and it takes time and patience. Well the next few time he was getting to think it was OK, then it started getting better as he was finding more than his hunting partners many times. About 3 weeks into it he loved it and was doing good as he was going behind his Partner showing what they were missing. He said he was now loving it and when he went out with 2 or 3 guy he could find more good targets then the rest together, so they didn't like to hunt with him as he was getting more and more all the time. He sure was glad he took the time and patience to understand it. Myself I found the first few times I used the Sovereign it was very hard to understand and switched off with a Fisher F-7 I had and then one day in a old area of a old park that been hit hard for years so not much trash as it has been picked up the Sovereign started to come to life for me and everything seem to click as I was picking some nice older coins with it. That gave me confidence in the Sovereign to know I just got to learn it more which I did as every time out with it I learned more about it and finds were getting deeper and closer to trash.

What I have learned with the Sovereign series of Minelab detectors

The Sovereigns are a different type of detectors and not like anything most have ever used. These do take some time to get used to and the biggest tip I can give it DON

david bull said:
I've been using my Sovereign for about three weeks now and other than some larger targets,I really don't understand what to look for when I've located a good deep target.Most of what I've dug were the ones that lock in as a coin, usually 3"-6" deep.What is the best way to estimate target depth?I've tried raising my coil until the signal dropped out but that doesn't seem to be very accurate.Thanks-DBULL

audio volume is how I guestimate depth. the sov also produces such a broad response that target size can fool you at first and if thats happening I would switch over to all metal pinpoint to see approx how big the target is. an example would be a quarter is usually gonna give a loud bwang sound at a couple of inches but be much fainter at a foot, but it should still retain somewhat of a high pitch on the signal unless its mixed in with other targets or the ground is tough.
since youve had your sov such a short time I wouldnt start being selective in your target recovery, dig as much as you can and pay attention to everything you dig, how it sounds and so forth.

Great post with some valuable info... Thanks for the time you put into it. I learn more and more about my Sov everytime I take it out. Getting an 8 inch coil for the parks and a 180 meter that should get here today. My GT had a 180 meter and it was a good way to gauge depth. Climbing numbers meant a deeper target.

Thanks for all the input from everyone! Slowly but surely I'm getting the swing of this detector.One of the things I was doing wrong was running my volume just past on.Turning it up definetly helped on the weaker targets.Thanks for the pinpointing tips.After a few tries,it became second nature.I'm still digging some larger iron,but I guess thats part of the game.DBULL