Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign Elite Questions/Advice.....

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've posted anything on the forums here. I sold my Explorer SE Pro back in 2008 and haven't hunted since. Busy life, busy schedule and a change of interests. But, I guess once detecting gets in your blood it never dies.

I picked up a nice used Elite with the 10" Tornado coil and Ron's 180 meter. I've gotten out a few hours and so far I like it. The few questions/advice I'm seeking is:

Will I get as deep as the Explorer and E Trac? I've had both and am pretty impressed with the depth of these machines in the past but have heard that the Sovereigns are pretty deep. Is that with the 10" coil or should I invest in the 12 x 10 SEF? But before I invest more $$$ into an older unit, does anyone know if or where I can send it in for a checkup? I'd like to make sure it's OK and if it is, someday may need service. Should I just keep it as is and as a back up and pick up another Explorer or E Trac?

What I like about the Elite is the simplicity of analog knobs and the tones it makes. It reminds me of the old days with the Whites 6000 units but has the advantage of 17 frequencies which is way deeper. I plan on using it in Ohio for the usual; parks, old school yards, old homes, etc. In Florida, where I'm at now, I'm using it on the beaches. (No gold jewelry yet!)

I just don't want to put a lot of $$$ into it with accessories, have it go bad and be stuck when I could have bought and Explorer or E Trac or even an Excalibur.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

I can't complain about my Sovs when at the beach. They both go deeper than I want to dig.
My E-trac has seen the beach once. Far too much info for me when beach hunting.

As for a tune up, KellyCo Minelab repair center would probably do it. But since Barry passed away, I would call ahead to get an idea of cost (75/hr) and how long it will take.
They have performed 3 repairs for my at very reasonable costs.

Sovereign goes deeper than the Explorers I have seen in test garden... I have no problem hitting 12' plus targets with sovereign but haven't seen explorer hit them....

The problem is it is getting harder to get parts for the old Sovereigns, The Sov GT is still supported by Minelab so no issues with the GT as far as parts, there were some sold with extended warranties so ML will be supporting the Sov GT into the 2020s.

As far as costs, Minelab Repair center at Kellyco still works on them and should be able to repair the Elites, the labor rate is $75 hour but they bill in 15 minute increments so it want automatically start at $75. They charge a diagnose fee of $37.50 and that is applied towards repairs if you choose to have it repaired.... I was there yesterday talking to my hunting partner Dave who was Barry's brother and is doing the repairs now, they are running about 3 weeks behind in repairs....

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I did call Kellyco and talked to Dave. I got the info from him and I am going to send it in for a check/tune up and maybe replace a toggle switch or 2. I'd like to get it to where it will last a few years longer. I may look for a NIB or lightly used GT. I have seen them on Ebay from time to time.
Jim

I use an Elite and have used Explorers at the same site.I like the Explorer and have found if the same size coil is used they are very comparable depth wise.Ergonomics is better on the Sovereign better balance and less strain on my arm.Both are great detectors but work different.My opinion the Sovereign is a much better beach detector and can be hip mounted for a wader.User who knows how to wiggle the coil over deep targets can coax a lot of depth out of the Sovereign.My Sovereign has recovered more gold rings than any detector I've used including the Explorer.My Explorers I use have excellent depth also.For my hunting the Sovereign is my main detector.