Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign GT-Land or Water??

taltexan

Is the GT a coin machine or used mostly at the beach? I hunt mostly coins and relics. Never hunted salt or fresh water beaches. Looking at one but dont want to spend the money if it is only good around water. Thanks

I have one.....it works great on dry land or the beach, in the desert or in a park. One of the best all around detectors IMHO.:detecting:
I should have said that it has the capibility to work in Wet Sand I think the only difference between the Sovereign and the Excalibur is the case.

The GT is an all around detector. You can take it in the water, but do not get the control box wet. What separates the GT apart from other detectors is the ability to hunt difficult soil. This includes wet sand. Almost any detector can hunt dry sand. If you want to hunt wet sand or high mineral ground the Sovereign GT makes a fine choice.

The Sovereign GT is a great land and beach detector.Once learned you'll be hooked.If you want a great clad machine with a fast sweep look else where.One of the best detectors for searched out parks ever made at this point.Though most new users are disappointed in Sovereign's and fail to use enough to appreciate the performance.Be willing to use this unit exclusively for a month or IMHO don't bother,because you will be frustrated and it will end up being sold.

The reason why it's known as a great beach machine is because so many other machines can't even come close in terms of depth in bad ground. Also, because it's a water machine and a land unit. Chest mount the box, throw a plastic bag around it for added safety, and by all rights it's now a water unit. It also doesn't come with a meter stock because most beach hunters don't use one. On the other hand, throw a meter on it and you now have what can be argued to be the deepest land unit on the market for finding old coins deep at hunted out parks. In addition, it's Iron Mask On ability will find coins in trash that aren't even shallow yet have been missed by all other machines over the years, including even machines with a "fast" recovery speed. Put it this way, if you are looking for the best land unit for old coins one can argue the GT, Etrac, or Explorer. Based on the user, settings, coil, and ground conditions any one of those three will beat the others at a given site. There isn't anything on the market that even comes close to them. From what I hear the F75LTD and T2LTD are the closest, but when the ground minerals get rough I hear they can't keep up. Just MHO.

I've owned Explorers off and on over the years and they were never as deep as my GT in my ground. I've dug coins at spots I gridded hard with the Explorer yet the GT found ones it missed. I'm talking in small areas around a specific tree or something where I know I covered every square inch from several directions with my Explorers and various settings, yet the GT got some easy hits on old coins for me. You can rack that up to many variables including ground moisture and settings but it still doesn't explain why I never dug coins as deep as I have on my GT. It could even come down to the more solid ID lock of the GT versus the Explorer. I use a jumpy ID as the main indicator of a junk target in high trash areas. If the GT locks onto 180 with good audio you can just about bet it's a coin.

In my bad ground it's at least 2-3 inches deeper on land than any detector I've used through the years and on the beach, well nothing comes close except maybe a PI and on my nasty beaches I'm not sure there is enough difference to give up the discrimination.

Ron from Michigan said:
The Sovereign GT is a great land and beach detector.Once learned you'll be hooked.If you want a great clad machine with a fast sweep look else where.One of the best detectors for searched out parks ever made at this point.Though most new users are disappointed in Sovereign's and fail to use enough to appreciate the performance.Be willing to use this unit exclusively for a month or IMHO don't bother,because you will be frustrated and it will end up being sold.

I agree with that statement.

On an other forum I found a great set-up to make the Sovereign GT water proof. It was a box set up . I believe they are made by Pelican. I have one for one of my ham radio's extremely water proof. The boxes are made in a clear plastic, and several colors. If I can find the link I will post it. I think it was on MLO can't remember off hand.

One more thing I would like to add is the ability to customize the Sovereign. Shafts, hip mounting, the choice of coils, meters and more. I really can not think of another detector out there you can tweak like the Sovereign.

gotta agree with mich ron.. this is a great machine if you have the patience to work thru the learning curve.. at the beach i found the gt to be very responsive and the depth i get with the 15in wot coil is incredible... many coins over a foot deep loud and clear. however inland there are times i would struggle to get the sensativity set right.. spent a lot of time hunting in auto until i got used to sensetivity setting/ sweep speed/tone id etc etc.. there were many times in the first few weeks that i thought there was somthing wrong with this machine .. i even considered selling it due to just not being comfortable with it... fast forward to present day i love using this machine at colonial sites ive worked over in the past with other machines.. its amazing what my other machine [ whites 5900 ] missed.. i still havent figured out how to deal with areas with alot of aluminum can slaw but in the open field colonial sites where the main . nuisance is square nails and iron this machine performs great.. if you are willing to invest time to learn this machine and dont mind digging deep holes to retrieve your target this is a great machine....

n/t

Heard somebody a while back say that- That the Sovereign was the hot rod of detectors in that it could be modified in many ways to custom fit the user. Very true...