Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign GT with an automatic transmission?

Digger54

Hi;

Took my New Sovereign out to a dry land spot that I have pounded with my Fisher F75SE vacuum cleaner. I set my Gt with the recommended 0 discrimination, pinpoint, disc iron on. I ran my sensitivity at first at 2 o'clock and later at 1 o'clock as the sandy soil here is not very mineralized. Used band 2. Full volume. One of the things I noticed is that my threshold hum was a low pleasant hum, but when I hit on something the threshold hum would climb a little in pitch and hold steady for about a minute then eventually drop back down to the original hum, except on nulls. Kind of like it was shifting gears.

I dug quite a few iron square nails on the iffy targets and used all metal pin point to find them. I noticed on the few brass tacks I found that I was able to get enough repeatability that I did not need to drop into all metal to pinpoint them.

I was using Grey Ghost DMC headphones and to me it seemed that I really only had one type of sound that would change pitch and volume depending on the target type. I was not getting different sounds, only different pitches and volume. Is this the flat issue some refer to regarding headphones type?

"Gt with the recommended 0 discrimination, pinpoint, disc iron on".

where were your toggles set, sounds like your in all metal pinpoint. the tones are in disc mode.
perhaps have a quick review of your manual?

I tried those headphones and everything sounded flat and muffled to me. Pick up the Sunray Golds with the limiter as I hear good things about them, or the Sony Studio phones for $20 at Walmart (search this forum for model #). I like these but you have to keep the volume on the GT all the way down. With it set that way I can easily tell shallow from deep stuff yet deep stuff still is plenty loud enough.

The threshold changing thing is this...When you pass over a target the threshold will hold the pitch of the last target you passed over. If you go over iron you might not hear it but the threshold will return to a lower pitch to let you know. Depending on how high you are running sensitivity the machine may "reset" more often on it's own as it picks up random stray RF noise or because of ground mineralization. When it does "reset" that's a handy way to check the calibration of the meter. You'll notice it will show either -506 or -507 on the Digisearch meter if it's adjusted right to go 180 or 181 on a silver dime.

I'd be real interested in hearing how your Sovereign does over time at sites you had worked with that 75SE (you mean LTD don't you, as the SE is the T2 version of the same machine). That's a good machine with fast recovery but I bet you'll not only dig coins deeper with the GT (at least in any kind of minerals...the F75 may keep up in low minerals maybe), but they'll give you better ID at depth. You'll probably also notice that you dig silver coins and other high conductors deeper with the GT as the F75 is using a higher frequency that is more meant for gold IMO, yet the GT has those high frequencies too to also hit hard on the low conductor stuff. Really it'd be interesting to hear how the GT pulls coins out of iron better in certain situations than a fast machine can. Two different birds and both have their advantages. Just work your coil SLOW to give the GT time to recovery between targets and then recovery speed won't be an issue. Besides all that, the GT for me pulls coin signals out of iron better when the the two targets are "one" and no amount of recovery speed is going to help. Then it's up to the machine to ignore the junk and sound off to the good stuff.

Please keep us posted as to how the two compare. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a T2SE or an F75LTD. I hear the boost mode is killer. My main concerns are my high minerals and the higher frequencies of those machines, which might not do well in my soil.

Neil said:

where were your toggles set, sounds like your in all metal pinpoint. the tones are in disc mode.

Was definitely running discrimination, would flip the toggle up to all metal to pinpoint, then drop it back down to mid point for discrimination.

Critterhunter said:
75SE (you mean LTD don't you, quote]

Don't blame me, Fisher decided to confuse everyone with paint schemes and letter designation changes. My F75 came black and titled Special Edition, but it is an LTD version, only black and lettered as a S.E. It has everything the old LTD does I.E. BP mode and it gets deep. It also falses on brush so I have to look for the repeatable signals in dense brush. My DMC falses in it too. Come to think of it I don't remember ever having a detector that did not false on brush. The GT hardly falses at all I notice, but it will. I did not get the GT to relic hunt, I wanted a good beach machine as my 1280 does not cut it on wet salt sand, neither would my F75 nor Nautilus. Temporarily dry land hunting until I get the hang of it. I don't have a meter and don't plan on getting one as I will either relic hunt with the F75 or beach hunt with the GT.

You picked up what I was saying and did a much better job of describing it's ability to hold the pitch of the last target in threshold. I almost got a little paranoid that it was electronically jammed in the higher pitch and wave it at my shovel to reset it. Now I know better. I really watched me coil swing speed keeping it low and slow. Figured out the GT wiggle too.

I took the time, over the last week or so, reading just about every post in this forum regarding the GT, so I'm sure I have the settings down. Just wanted to pass my observations along from a first time outing with the GT.

Tough choice on headphones, I have seen Timberwolves mentioned a few times but don't see any dealers that stock those. I was debating Black Widows or Sunray Golds as I know I will have surf noise background to cut out at the beach.

Digger54 said:
Neil said:

Was definitely running discrimination, would flip the toggle up to all metal to pinpoint, then drop it back down to mid point for discrimination.

ok good, I understand your post better now.

have you tried your F75 on the wet sand manually ground balancing in all metal and picking the quietest frequency? still not as quiet/smooth as a sov but still gets good depth and hits on the lower conductors a sov wont. I just picked up a Tek G2 and its nice and quiet on the wet sand, cant speak of its depth yet there though, but will be nice to see if this upgraded electronics in it is passed along to the next F75 and T2 series. anyways running the F75 in all metal motion will get you the best performance it has to offer.
as far as the headphones go, the sunray golds dont block out the noise as well as the widows, but if you like modding things, check out some of the older posts, a bunch of guys swear by the modded peltors.

I would like to see the sovereign intrails in the ergonomics of the F-75

My F75 was an SE, Special edition but not the LTD, i think they all were, it was a 75th aniversary thing when it came out hence the name