Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign setup

Hi all I just received a new to me sovereign GT with 2 meters. Even without the meters attached, I can only airtest @ 6". have been swinging an Excal 1000 for 5 years, so I thought the setup would be easy. WRONG Disc and notch all the way left ... Sens @ just above auto ....mask on on.....threshold switch up.....fix .... Band1.....threshold just audible
What gives? Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance Gayle

Gayle, the GT does not air test very good. The proof is the GT will hit a dime at 8 or 9 inches easily in most grounds. Good luck, GH, Don

Hi Gayle the longer a target has been packed down in deep soil or sand the GT will find it , the GT does not like just buried coins like a coin test garden ,but it will still find targets shallow HH Jim

The Sovereign, like the Explorer or Etrac, doesn't air test very well. BBS technology needs to see a ground signal in order to work properly.

Also, most people use Band 2 so that the target IDs match the old ID charts from older Sovereigns.

Gayle Houtx said:
Hi all I just received a new to me sovereign GT with 2 meters. Even without the meters attached, I can only airtest @ 6". have been swinging an Excal 1000 for 5 years, so I thought the setup would be easy. WRONG Disc and notch all the way left ... Sens @ just above auto ....mask on on.....threshold switch up.....fix .... Band1.....threshold just audible
What gives? Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance Gayle

Should do better than that, mine airtest to 9 or 10" on most coins. Ive found the Sov will airtest just fine but will do better in ground. you should be able to get a thin gold ring at 6" but a quarter or nice mans wedding band should come in up to 9" or more with the stock 10" tornado coil. your sens was set at max also so what were you airtesting and where at, inside by any chance?

Thanks for the replies. My Excal does not airtest well either. I was using a quarter.
I will take it to Galveston tomorrow on its maiden cruise. Will switch to band 2 and try it in PP. HH Gayle

I just airtested mine on a nickel with the 12X10SEF, inside my living room, full sens(I can never hunt this high, to many falses) and it consistently repeats a good tone on the nickel, held flat, at 13-14".
this is in disc mode, iron mask on, and I tried both bands with no noticable change in the distance the detector picked up the nickel.

I think due to ground tracking technology they do not air test well. My Whites MXT is the same. I never tried to air test the GT. Use it, it will make you happy. Air tests are just for hearing tones or meter readings. The machine was designed to use the ground to help stretch the field. You will be digging deeper than most any other machine there is.

I did go to Galveston Friday. It was spring break... Thousands of people many in the water.... The Sovereign did hit on a quarter@ 10" not much else there yet....
On a brighter note, Minelab service called about my 5 year old Excal 1000. They said the Excal was purring like a kitten, just needed the yellow tabs on the top of the knobs.
They will replace them and send the unit back NOCHARGE. Sent it in March 10.. should get it back by this Friday March 23rd I AM A HAPPY CAMPER HH Gayle

No thats not right, is your battery charged? is thear metal next to what you are testing you said the sense was just past auto , try 3;00 o clock and make sure you are not in all metal,