Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SP24 Coil

Oakman404

What kind of depth are you folks getting from this new coil? Thinking about getting it for some of my really trashy sites?

First question, is the Simplex + your only detector?

Next question, when you say really trashy, are you referring to Modern, urban type trash or is this an old site with a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous debris?

And the further the last question, if it is a lot of nails and other iron trash, how closely associated is all of it?

I ask because I hunt both types, Urban locations with a bunch of discarded bottle caps, foil, tabs and other litter, as well as rural locations to include Old Town sites, stage stops, old dancehall and church sites, and other places that had high use or activity, and frequently have a lot of iron nails and other closely associated ferrous debris.

Depending on the type of trash in the amount of trash, related to the density or closeness of the trash, can make a difference on the detector and coil I put to use. I use the Simplex + with the 5X9 1/2 DD and it works quite well in low two moderately littered sites. When I take on the challenge of very dense iron contamination, then I prefer a smaller size coil on a detector that handles the toughest ferrous conditions.

That would be the 5" DD on my Nokta Relic, with the 4.7×5.2 DD on my CoRe. I enjoy the performance I'm getting with my Simplex + and feel it could provide comparable performance with those two models if it had a 5" coil. Sadly, the folks at Nokta / Makro have not provided us with a good, small–size coil.

I have hunted both city and rural locations with my Simplex + and 5X9 1/2 DD and really like that coil and the performance until they get very trashy. That combination is one of my regular use set-ups because it both balances well and works well.

Monte

I have a new simplex and that coil showing up later this week. I will video it on some test targets. Because I want to know too.

That sounds good.
I have a new simplex and that coil showing up later this week. I will video it on some test targets. Because I want to know too.
That would be helpful for many who are interested. I don't have a camera and I'm not into doing videos. I do like the mid-size coils along with smaller-size coils and only have two detectors that I keep at-the-ready with their 'standard' or slightly larger-size coils. I use them for wide-open grassy parks or a plowed field, open rangeland or a freshwater beach. By 'mid-size' for me, that includes coils like a round 7' Concentric or an elliptical like a 5X8 or 5X9½.

In the very heavy iron debris sites I generally encounter in most of the ghost towns I hunt, I grab my Nokta Relic w/5' DD or CoRe w/'OOR' DD because no other make or model hs out-performed them with a smaller-size coil. But for low-to-modestly littered sites, in town or away, I have gone to the mentioned mid-size coils almost 100%. I was quite pleased when Nokta / Makro introduced the 5X9½ for their Simplex + because I needed a coil to let it fit into my Daily-Use Team of detectors and see a lot more regular use. :thumbup: I'll watch for your video.

Monte