Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spanish Trail in Southern Utah.

Goldstrike

Has anyone had any luck metal detecting along the old Spanish Trail in Southern Utah? What are some of the relics/coins/gold and silver bars LOL!!! have you found? Not asking for your high yielding secret spots but just asking for general information for future plans. I'm not sure how 'protected' the trail is or even if metal detecting is allowed along it seeing it's a 'National Monument' I think?? I think I read somewhere that it was designated as that. I'm out of commission at the moment with a broken foot but really itching to get out as soon as I can to do some detecting! Thanks G.S.

P.s. I moved recently from having lived in Southern California for 40 years to the Cedar City (Southern Utah) area so I'm very new to detecting around these parts!!

Howdy Goldstrike--

I hope that your foot is healed and you are ready to go! If not, here are a few sites that you may wish to research or explore while you are healing. Although these sites are not specific to the Spanish Trail they are in the area and may be worth swinging a coil over. I limited these sites to about 25 miles or less from Cedar City but there are MANY more potential sites of interest beyond that distance. If you wish, I can provide more sites which require more travel time.

1) Ghost Town: Iron springs 10 mile NW of Cedar Springs
2) GT: Desert Mound, 15 miles East of Newcastle
3) GT: Mercury, A/K/A Lewiston 10 miles West of Cedar City, founded in 1869 as a silver boomtown, 1883 as a gold boomtown. several abandoned mines in the area.
4) GT:Irontown, 24 miles WSW of Cedar City. Established in 1873
5) John D. Lee and other Morman leaders reportedly burried a hoard of treasure in the area of Cedar City.
6) Gold coins have been found in a city park in Cedar City.
7) In 1830, fur trappers, led by William Wolfskill camped 2 or 3 miles S of Summit & about 10 miles NE of Cedar City, they discovered a rich gold ledge but were unable to relocate it.
:geek: FT: Fort Harmony - located to the S and W of Kanarraville, founded 1852-1862
9) GT: Pintura, on Ash Creek, 8 miles due N of Hurricane
10) GT: Pinto, near the N county line, 8 miles due S of Newcastle

I hope that some of these leads prove to be fruitful! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy Goldstrike--

I hope that your foot is healed and you are ready to go! If not, here are a few sites that you may wish to research or explore while you are healing. Although these sites are not specific to the Spanish Trail they are in the area and may be worth swinging a coil over. I limited these sites to about 25 miles or less from Cedar City but there are MANY more potential sites of interest beyond that distance. If you wish, I can provide more sites which require more travel time.

1) Ghost Town: Iron springs 10 mile NW of Cedar Springs
2) GT: Desert Mound, 15 miles East of Newcastle
3) GT: Mercury, A/K/A Lewiston 10 miles West of Cedar City, founded in 1869 as a silver boomtown, 1883 as a gold boomtown. several abandoned mines in the area.
4) GT:Irontown, 24 miles WSW of Cedar City. Established in 1873
5) John D. Lee and other Morman leaders reportedly burried a hoard of treasure in the area of Cedar City.
6) Gold coins have been found in a city park in Cedar City.
7) In 1830, fur trappers, led by William Wolfskill camped 2 or 3 miles S of Summit & about 10 miles NE of Cedar City, they discovered a rich gold ledge but were unable to relocate it.
:geek: FT: Fort Harmony - located to the S and W of Kanarraville, founded 1852-1862
9) GT: Pintura, on Ash Creek, 8 miles due N of Hurricane
10) GT: Pinto, near the N county line, 8 miles due S of Newcastle

I hope that some of these leads prove to be fruitful! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

:thumbup:

Blind Squirrel......a huge Thank You for that information!!! and thank you for the well wishes!! My last appointment was yesterday for my foot and the doc (he performed the surgery) was happy enough with how well it's healing that he said I did not need to wear the 'boot' anymore and to get fitted for supportive shoes which I did....so I was really happy about that news!! I might just venture out next week to get used to walking normal again and start detecting again! so I'll let you know how I do!! Thank you again...it's appreciated:thumbup:

Hey there Goldstrike. That was a big move for you after 40 years in California. Enjoyed all your past posts of all those goodies you found at the park in California. Best of luck in unearthing some real interesting finds in southern Utah. Looks like Blind Squirrel has provided some great information to get you started. Hope your foot heals 100% so you can get out there and post more of you great finds.