Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spare parts kit for AT Pro?

jmorton04

In your experience, what spare parts should I order when I order my AT Pro? I am a long way from the factory in terms of miles and time. The customs people here are known for being very, very slow. I was thinking that a spare battery tray, a spare battery door w/gasket and the hardware that fastens the coil to the lower rod ought to be sufficient, but having never owned a MD before, I thought I would ask this question so those with knowledge could set me straight. I subscribe to the notion that if you have the spares, you will probably never need them, but if you don't have them, you will need them sooner or later.

I am also thinking that the "Garrett Gizmo" might be a wise investment.

Thanks in advance,
John Morton

Never hurts to have some parts laying around. Other than the battery door I think your on the right track. I don't see that door breaking. But I guess you could loose it? The only other thing that's cheap to buy is the arm cuff and stand. I have never broke one but have heard others that did on the Ace's. The ATpro is the same except for the color. A roll of duct tape can do wonders though............................................

I called and requested a spare owners manual to take out in the Field and they sent me one right away...no charge

I've owned Garretts for 137 years and never bought a spare part so I couldn't say. They are built like a tank.

Bill

so with all my other detectors i carry in my truck and have in my garage at all times.

shafts never break in your yard.

Thanks for the Tips, Y'all.
In my experience with firearms and cameras, I found that few things actually break, but many sprout legs and walk off or are pulled in to some other dimension when I am not looking. Filters, adapters, cable releases, batteries, rolls of film, bullets and primers being the chief fugitives.
I am about 8,000 miles from home over here and this place sure isn't like the red clay of Oklahoma.
All of Kuwait is carpeted in sand. There is the hard crusty kind and the loose kind. Up near the Iraq border, the sand is a little coarser, and that is where the Cobras live. Down towards Saudi, the sand is finer and that is where the sand vipers play. I have not seen either yet, nor the killer scorpions down south, the striped sea snakes or the venomous sea shell. I am a school teacher here and my students love to go camping in the desert, and they see all these critters.
Driving on the sand when it is slightly moist will convert the loose kind to the packed kind. The wind or driving on the packed kind when it is dry will convert it to the loose kind.
Sand storms are up to a 3 day event, and you may not be able to see your hood ornament as you drive to work. During sand storms, many drivers resort to "sonar" i.e. some incomprehensible system of horn honking that allows them to miss each other and many of the pedestrians.
Getting things (toys) here means you bring them in with you in your luggage (all my leather craft tools), leave them home (all my camera gear) or find a friend who works on base and has an APO. Otherwise, Non-Kuwaitis do not get mail delivery service, but you can have things sent here from civilization. They go to Kuwait customs and sit there for 4 to 8 months before they summon you to the customs office, and open your package in front of you. I am thinking of having some one send me some shrimp...........
My master plan is to purchase a MD this summer when we go home to Texas and bring it back in my suitcase. I think I will ship my underwear and socks in the MD box to my friend out at Arifjan. If something is gonna get "interdimensionalized", it better be my used undies instead of my "new exercise machine". (<- Please note the politically correct, ready for wife, description of a MD).
Once we get back in August, I will wait for mid September (When you can actually breathe. The air has lost that "pizza oven" quality by then). and then start trying to detect things outside the apartment.
During August and the first part of September, I am going to fasten large steel washers and various coins to my wife's cats, and see if the MD will find the cats through the mattress, the pillows, the carpet, and elsewhere. I think this will be a more educational endeavor than "air testing".

Once again, thanks for the tips!
John Morton

Hey All, I'm looking for spare dust caps for the search coil inlet and headphone inlet plugs on an AT Gold. Does anyone have a source
or a pick me up? Thanks, Dave....

Call Garrett at 1-800-527-4011 and they should take care of you.

I've an early atp & have not had anything on it break, however I did managed to lose a battery holder--(I removed the batteries & holder for winter come spring it was missing???.) So i called Garrett,they sent me a replacement gratis.

:nopity:Might want to carry some plumbing grease and use it on battery door as well as the headset and coil connections to keep the sand and moisture out. Also a spare faceplate decal not a bad thing to have, Sand has habit of jamming up everything. Spare plastic nuts and spare lower rod since they do jam up in sand. Weakest point of battery door is the rubber O-ring. May never use some but you will be glad to have it if needed in the sandbox.

Only extra part I have is a lower shaft, but that is just because I have the factory coil on it. I've actually never broken anything on a Garrett yet, in 29 years. I don't bounce them around or anything, so maybe that helps? An extra coil bolt might be helpful, but most people I see if they break one, just go get a plastic toilet bolt from the Hardware store. I carry a tube of Dielectric grease in my bag to use on the battery cover and o rings on the headphones and coil connectors.