Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sparkling coins

Kiwi

Hi all
Really enjoy looking at all the finds that other people make, but my question is what is the secret to getting the coins cleaned up and looking like they had just been made (both copper & silver)
Cheers from down under in New Zealand

Kiwi, I have never found a way to get copper coins to look "coppery". Although farm chemicals do a number on some of the copper coins I find, many have a beautiful green patina. To clean them, I simply rinse them off in cold water. Some of nicer ones get a wipe of olive oil, just to bring out the detail. Old silver coins, however, come out of the ground looking like the day they were minted. Usually a little dirty. But a simple rinse under the spigot cleans them right up. Nickels are the worst for this part of the World. Other than Buffalo nickels, I seldom find an old nickel that doesn't appear dark red in color, or has actually corroded. For some reason, the Buffalo nickels turn more of an orange. And the nickels seem "soft" right after you dig them. I remember one of the first V nickels I dug. I saw the V on the back and Lady Liberty on the front. But, I couldn't make out the date. So, I wiped it on my jeans and most of the obverse design wiped off with the dirt. I ended up with a hunk of metal with a V on one side and blank on the other. I've attached a pic of some finds I made, just as they came out of the ground. HH Randy

Hey Digger..I think your bragging !! LOL LOL LOL
Nice coins. Listen to digger he knows what he talks about. He has helped me several times.

Thanks for your reply & information, will give them a try and see how the coins come up.
My latest & oldest is a 1896 English penny