Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Speaking of cemeteries......

wasp

Anyone seen the latest issue of Lost Treasure magazine? There is an article on how to metal detect cemeteries. I subscribe to Lost Treasure and am not trying to promote it to anyone but this article in the current issue is worth reading. Perhaps the subject isn't as taboo or unthinkable as we believe. I personally would not do it out of respect. But, the areas of some older cemeteries surrounding the actual graves sites where people may have gathered socially, not just for services and burials, could and have yielded some good coin finds. Maybe coin shooting those areas and not detecting or digging over the graves or around headstones would be acceptable to some detectorists. I believe that a ring or piece of jewelry, for example, left at the headstone of a loved one is sacred and should stay where it is. Anyone taking something like that is a grave robber in my book. However, a coin dropped by someone getting out of a carriage or car along the road or lost by a pickniker in a grassy area away from the graves might not be so sacred.

I don't subscribe to the mag but maybe you could scan the artical and post it here so we could all read it.
Katz

I know it's tempting, but I can't help but think what the generally ignorant public will think. We get a bad enough rap sometimes and when sites seem to be closing up faster and faster lately I hate to be seen doing anything that will get people up in arms. I figure the old "six feet under" rule applies, and I know my detector won't go that deep! I know that, but Hateful Hazel and Bert Buttinski don't and they don't care, they just call the cops because they see a "grave robber" in the cemetery.

I'm glad that some light is being shed on this subject. I have to agree with Nick A, it is really the general public who get up in arms. Wasp you have a good point!!

Cemeteries are really private property. The lots are bought by the person or person's family. So, although the cemetery is for the public, the lots are private property. You should get permission from all the family's that have lots in the cemetery. True or not true?

I wrote the editor of the mag a real nasty letter about this article...We have big enough problems without a major rag condoning Grave Robbing...sheesh...to quote Dr. Phil..."What were you thinking???"

This is the email I sent the Editor and the reply I got back...

Dear Robert,
Your e-mail was forwarded to me from our webmaster. Thank you for your input on this subject...our readers' opinions are valuable to us.
We can totally appreciate your point of view and suspect you aren't the only one who feels that way about the topic.
You can rest assured there will be no further articles like that published by Lost Treasure.

Have a great day,

Carla Banning
Managing Editor
Lost Treasure, Inc.
If you're not already a subscriber to Lost Treasure's Free Online
Newsletter, click below to sign up to receive the latest treasure
hunting-related news, Feature Clubs, Favorite Finds, and more!
www.losttreasure.com/newsletter/Subscribe/

I just Recently received my May 2009 issue of Lost Treasure magazine,
And was immediately shocked upon reading the Table of Contents, on the Cemetery Hunting Article...
How could you put an article like that in a magazine that can be seen by
The public and any new hobbyist out there???
Don't we already have enough problems with the Archaeologists getting on
Our rear ends for idiots stealing items from dig sites???
Now we want to appear as if we are openly condoning Grave Robbing???
I just don't know where your brains went when you printed this article...
I especially was appalled when I read the section on finding rings put
At the base of headstones...
If I EVER caught someone hunting in a graveyard, I would have their
Detector shoved so far up their hind quarters, they would need a surgeon
To remove it. (try explaining that one to the ER doctor).
There are plenty of other places to hunt...
REMEMBER...You represent ALL of us in this hobby with the articles you
Print...
Why would you even consider printing such a controversial topic as this?
I can see the lawsuits flying through the courthouses already over this...
Some stupid person who has no clue is going to go out, get a detector,
And the first place they are going to go is to their local Cemetery and
Start hunting right on top of grave sites...
Hope the poor fool makes it out alive, and hope their relatives never
Find out that it was YOUR article that prompted him to go there...
Please...In the future, keep this kind of thing OUT OF your mags...I
Have greatly enjoyed your publications up to this point...Please do NOT
Let me down again...

Thank you for your time,

Robert W. Lemp - Subscriber
Syracuse, NY

Thank you for doing all who are on the forum a great service.:please: You are a great human being for standing up when someone needs to. Thank you again.:bounty:

I have hunted some strange places in my time, but I will not hunt on the same block as a Cemetery...I do not even want anyone thinking that is what we do with our high priced gear...They already think we are wack jobs...Why give em another reason to look down on us...I have started carrying around the Land Star with my White's machine (crowded bag)...I let interested parties have a shot with the Land Star (little do they know it barely IDs correctly, and the depth meter is WAY off). I give em a quick lesson on what the tones mean, and how to read the meter, then I show em how to dig a proper plug. I explain a little about our code of ethics, and tell them that if they want to get into the hobby, they can contact me at any time...So far, no calls, but I think I have fueled the fire in some in my area....I know there are those out there that keep to themselves about the hobby, but if your doing it right, what do you have to hide (except that secret honey hole...lol). Get the public involved...Let em know what we are about, and that we are not just a bunch of greedy pirates out to destroy lawns and trespass on private property...the more they know, the easier we can rest...I am also a HAM (Amateur) Radio Operator, and the public sees us much the same way (a bunch of freaks with way too much money to spend). They also think that the RF we put out is frying their brains...They have more to worry about with their cell phones than they have to worry about our RF. Amateurs must abide by some strict rules when it comes to their RF emissions...They must be kept at certain power levels, and their antennas must be erected in such a fashion that a passerby cannot come into contact with them...But as we have more Public functions, to show the public that we are there for them in case of emergencies, they get a better view into what we really are all about...What people read, see, and hear about us, sets a lasting impression, and we do not need to purposefully make it a bad one...

Happy Hunting,

So, I just talked to my cutie-pie wife, who assures me she will stick some Mercury Dimes in the ground down by my feet, when I get "Holed up!" and then post my "New-Digs" on this here Web Site, so's I can see who of you comes detecting! :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Hi Ron:

N2OMK here...I am not active on the bands anymore...I am taking a break from the Radios...The locals around my area use it for the rumor mill, and I just got a very bad taste in my mouth from it...Planning to move to California later this year, and may get back on 10 and 20 meters maybe up to 80 meters, but I think I am going to keep it to HF...don't care much for the repeaters, unless they are 10 or 6M...I would rather DX...73

HH,

WOW, I finally opened up my copy of LOST TREASURE and was flipping shocked! I can not believe that they would openly condone trespassing and grave robbing. Gopher, I was also moved into writing a letter. I am considering having syringes buried above my grave to keep Lost Treasure readers from digging me up after I am gone.

Ya know, I wasn't thinking clearly, I'll bet there are lots of Indian head pennies to be found in cemeteries. Don't I remember they used to slip pennies in peoples eyes when they died? :wiggle:
Hey shucks, maybe by now the local worms and gophers have brought some to the surface for chosen folks to find. You might even find cornea stuck to one! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Go Get 'Em

I will be interesting what LT puts in the next issue regarding the response they got from the article..

I just got the June 2009 issue and it says nothing, unless I missed it, about any response to the cemetary hunting article in the previous issue.

I would imagine that the June issue was probably ready to be printed way before responses to the May issue article were received.

But you're right Cherokeefan, it will be interesting to see how or if they respond in the magazine.

Considering what a sensitive issue this is I am surprised. I'm sure that you've seen the other thread about cemeteries in this forum. I really wonder if the editors of LT are that much out of touch not to realize the volitility of this subject?

Recently here in my area a rancher looking for a lost calf came across a couple of headstones near his property. He told some city officials and the police and they had know idea how big the gravesite was. They had know record of the gravesite being there. There was no fence around the site to show if there were anymore. They used metel detectors hoping to pick-up signals of jewelry or anything that was buried with the bodies and they did and found out there were thirty two graves. Most of the headstones had fallen over and were covered with high brush and mesquite trees. Everyone in that county volunteered their time and cleaned and stood all the headstones upright again and cleaned them with soap and water, cut the grass and put up a new fence around the site and had to build a road to get to it cause it was in the middle of no where. The headstones had dates from the middle 1860's thru to 1920. Know one was allowed to dig around the graves at all. It was all over our news here and they couldn't have done it without the metel detectors help. Kudos to those guy's. Great job and to the rancher who found the site. ( the calf to for getting lost )